TV: All things Dragonball thread

Who's your favorite character from the franchise?

• Total voters

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
I haven't seen any threads or mentions of Dragonball anywhere and that strikes me as odd considering there's lots of exciting things going on for the franchise right now. The new Broly movie is now the 3rd highest grossing anime movie in its first week of all time in the US. Dragonball Super is indicating that it's going to make its exciting return.

Just thought id Start a thread for updates, appreciation, thoughts on movies and future episodes, general discussion, etc.

Anyone else love the franchise as much as I do?

hangman005

Face for Radio, Voice for Silent Movies
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Actually watching this again. Vegeta and Kid Trunks would have to be my favorites

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I really liked Piccolo when he was relevant. Kinda tired of it just being Goku and Vegeta but it would be hard even for DB to find a power up big enough to make other characters on their level.

Thanks for making this thread, my Brolu thread getting like 10 replies hurt me.

Reactions: Son Goku

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I like Toriyama's attitude towards entertainment and his irreverence to coherence.

I think the original Dragonball is a legitimately well done, charming, fun, and silly show that gets a lot of things right, Dragonball Z was a lot more stupid and flawed but still in a well executed, memorable, and "mostly-charming-if-you-go-along-with-the-stupidity" way, and Dragonball Super is pure trash that I can't believe people actually like (I don't understand why it isn't viewed the same way that GT is).

A fun fact that not everyone seems to be aware of is that Dragonball actually started out as a really fun and weird "who gives a **** about anything" farcical parody of everything (like Spaceballs or something), and it's a really interesting phenomenon how Western audiences completely embraced it without ever realizing that. It's basically the Eastern equivalent to a situation where a western comic book writer comes up with a story about how a baby named Luke Skywalker from the planet Krypton landed on earth with superhuman abilities, was raised by Hobbits, finds a magical ring, and is accompanied in a fellowship of 9 warriors named after kitchen utensils and undergarments on a journey defeat Darth Vader and use the force to destroy the ring in the fires of Mount Doom (or something)..... and that story catches on, has a life of its own, and gets taken seriously as a cultural phenomenon all over the world.

Just replace Lord of the Rings/Star Wars with this even more popular classic myth (from left to right, top to bottom: Goku, Oolong, a bizarro version of Bulma, Yamcha, Goku with expanding power pole and flying nimbus, and Goku fighting Tien):
C01-1@1200x1200.jpg

songoku.jpg

20181119130800_d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e_2.jpeg

... and that's basically what Dragonball is to Japanese/Chinese people. It's pretty neat.

Last edited:

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
I really liked Piccolo when he was relevant. Kinda tired of it just being Goku and Vegeta but it would be hard even for DB to find a power up big enough to make other characters on their level.

Thanks for making this thread, my Brolu thread getting like 10 replies hurt me.
Piccolo is soooo underrated. He's easily above SSJ3 at this point in Super. I'm hoping he becomes more relevant in the series, but it seems as though he's just stuck being a Z Fighter. Also hoping Gohan becomes relevant in the new arc, haven't had a chance to check out the manga.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Completely lost the plot after the Frieza saga and Dragonball is the best part of the series. I liked it better when the fighting scenes involved dopey martial arts + the odd energy ball.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
This whole situation with Vic Mignogna is bringing so many opportunist redpill shitheads out of the woodwork I'm actually flabbergasted.

Anyway, the Broly movie was absolutely fantastic.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Piccolo is soooo underrated. He's easily above SSJ3 at this point in Super. I'm hoping he becomes more relevant in the series, but it seems as though he's just stuck being a Z Fighter. Also hoping Gohan becomes relevant in the new arc, haven't had a chance to check out the manga.

How though? I haven’t read the manga so I’m uninformed there. He was above SSJ1 in the cell saga but we really haven’t gotten much development from him since then unless I’m forgetting something.

I’m also a huge Gohan fan. He was the most badass character until the buu arc then they just neutered the hell out of him.

Don’t even get me started on Goten and Trunks. They’ve wasted their characters so far. We could’ve gotten some development with them in the last super arc, but no they had to use Tien and Roshi over the kids who can go SSJ3 together.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
How though? I haven’t read the manga so I’m uninformed there. He was above SSJ1 in the cell saga but we really haven’t gotten much development from him since then unless I’m forgetting something.

I’m also a huge Gohan fan. He was the most badass character until the buu arc then they just neutered the hell out of him.

Don’t even get me started on Goten and Trunks. They’ve wasted their characters so far. We could’ve gotten some development with them in the last super arc, but no they had to use Tien and Roshi over the kids who can go SSJ3 together.
Exactly. So much potential wasted. First, they insult the series by making super saiyan so attainable by giving it for free to kids. Next, when these kids show all the promise in the world you just completely ignore them. I'm hoping we get some more character development from Universe 6, i really enjoy them. Hit is going to get piccolo'd I think.

As for Piccolo, I think the majority believes he's around Super Buu level at this point. Maybe a step below where Goku was at in the start of the BOG movie.

Last edited:

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
This whole situation with Vic Mignogna is bringing so many opportunist redpill ****heads out of the woodwork I'm actually flabbergasted.

Anyway, the Broly movie was absolutely fantastic.
Yeah true, but I'm not gonna comment on the situation here, too easy to get hectic very quickly. Don't want the thread getting shut down because of outlandishly different opinions from some posters.

As for the movie I absolutely loved it! I love how they've added so much more depth to Broly's character. Definitely a badass.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Yeah true, but I'm not gonna comment on the situation here, too easy to get hectic very quickly. Don't want the thread getting shut down because of outlandishly different opinions from some posters.

Probably a good idea.

As for the movie I absolutely loved it! I love how they've added so much more depth to Broly's character. Definitely a badass.

I keep telling people that you can look at the Broly movie as a damn near masterpiece by using one simple analytical tool - look at everything they did in the movie, and then think about how they would've done it in DBZ or the DBS series.

1. Broly would probably still be a mindless idiot (which worked in the old version, but needed a retool here).

2. The side characters would've done absolutely nothing.

3. Vegeta would've gotten his shit absolutely kicked in as a warm-up for Goku.

4. There would've been several ultra-binary "the hero is winning, OH f*** NOW HE'S LOSING" moments.

5. Freeza would never have had such entertaining dialogue.

6. Broly would've never shown any fear for his opponents at any point.

7. Every transformation except for Broly's would've been boring.

8. Gogeta would've never happened. Goku would've had to kill Broly with a multi-dimensional spirit bomb or some other stupid bullshit.

9. If Gogeta did happen, he still would've had to use said silly plot device, instead of allowing Broly's new persona to set the stage for the ending that we got.

10. There would've been absolutely zero attempt to provide for continuity of the story at the end of the movie.

So on and so forth.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Probably a good idea.

I keep telling people that you can look at the Broly movie as a damn near masterpiece by using one simple analytical tool - look at everything they did in the movie, and then think about how they would've done it in DBZ or the DBS series.

1. Broly would probably still be a mindless idiot (which worked in the old version, but needed a retool here).

2. The side characters would've done absolutely nothing.

3. Vegeta would've gotten his **** absolutely kicked in as a warm-up for Goku.

4. There would've been several ultra-binary "the hero is winning, OH **** NOW HE'S LOSING" moments.

5. Freeza would never have had such entertaining dialogue.

6. Broly would've never shown any fear for his opponents at any point.

7. Every transformation except for Broly's would've been boring.

8. Gogeta would've never happened. Goku would've had to kill Broly with a multi-dimensional spirit bomb or some other stupid bull****.

9. If Gogeta did happen, he still would've had to use said silly plot device, instead of allowing Broly's new persona to set the stage for the ending that we got.

10. There would've been absolutely zero attempt to provide for continuity of the story at the end of the movie.

So on and so forth.
Agreed on all fronts. Hopefully this is the standard moving forward.

hangman005

Face for Radio, Voice for Silent Movies
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9

I hated Gohan, sure he had power, but he a whiny kid, with Radditz and such, Whimpy in the Freiza Saga, Bad ass in the cell saga, and back to a whiny wimp again. Haven't seen him after Buuuu, but he was my least favorite main character.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
I hated Gohan, sure he had power, but he a whiny kid, with Radditz and such, Whimpy in the Freiza Saga, Bad ass in the cell saga, and back to a whiny wimp again. Haven't seen him after Buuuu, but he was my least favorite main character.
Gohan has all the potential but he's too cocky. All the tools, no toolbox.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan

Yeah he was whiny, but so would most kids in that situation. He was annoying at times but the storyline of him overcoming his fear/disdain for fighting and slowly becoming the strongest character was the best of DBZ imo. They hinted at it from the very beginning.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Something I find annoying is that it's essentially impossible to avoid spoilers about DBS. I've intentionally not followed the sub scene and only trying to watch as the dubbed episodes come out, but I can't even begin to say how many spoilers I've seen just from the titles of dumb recommended videos on YouTube.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Something I find annoying is that it's essentially impossible to avoid spoilers about DBS. I've intentionally not followed the sub scene and only trying to watch as the dubbed episodes come out, but I can't even begin to say how many spoilers I've seen just from the titles of dumb recommended videos on YouTube.

Haha yeah I was watching the dub for a while too but eventually gave up and marathoned the sub because I couldn’t avoid the spoilers.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
You made the right decision if you came here to trash DB.
First of all, my post above was mostly positive. Second of all, grow up, discussion should welcome both positive and negative comments and there's valid criticism to go along with valid praise.

For the record, I was going to comment on how it's odd that they tried to force this idea that Gohan is smart/responsible and therefore should be leader of the team in the latest arc, despite the fact that he's been by far the worst of them tactically/in terms of managing stakes and not ****ing up (which they all do to some degree)-- Piccolo should actually be the leader of the team if that's what they're basing it on. But on second thought, they didn't really push it that hard.

Last edited:

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
First of all, my post above was mostly positive. Second of all, grow up, discussion should welcome both positive and negative comments and there's valid criticism to go along with valid praise.

For the record, I was going to comment on how it's odd how they're trying to force the idea that Gohan is smart/responsible and therefore should be leader of the team in the latest arc, despite the fact that he's been by far the worst of them tactically/in terms of managing stakes and not ****ing up. But on second thought, they didn't really push it that hard and pushed back the other direction in subsequent episodes.
Lol damn, I was just kidding.

I don't watch super, that's for nerds. But Z will always have a special place in my heart.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Lol damn, I was just kidding.

I don't watch super, that's for nerds. But Z will always have a special place in my heart.
I mean, there wasn't any indication of that. Sorry, I'm really sensitive to irrational fanboy-defensiveness and will trash it if I catch a whiff of it.

The series was a big part of my childhood so even though I think Super's awful and would never sit through all of it, what happens in it/what people are saying about it is still in my periphery in a keeping-an-eye-on-a-train-wreck kind of way. Every time someone says it's actually gotten good, I'll give it a shot for a few episodes until I realize it stinks.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->