OT: All Things Coronavirus Covid-19 - Part VIII - MOD ADVISORY POST 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Just about a month ago, people stricken with the new coronavirus started to arrive in unending ranks at hospitals in the New York metropolitan area, forming the white-hot center of the pandemic in the United States.

Now, doctors in the region have started sharing on medical grapevines what it has been like to re-engineer, on the fly, their health care systems, their practice of medicine, their personal lives.

Doctors, if you could go back in time, what would you tell yourselves in early March?

“What we thought we knew, we don’t know,” said Dr. Nile Cemalovic, an intensive care physician at Lincoln Medical Center in the Bronx.

Medicine routinely remakes itself, generation by generation. For the disease that drives this pandemic, certain ironclad emergency medical practices have dissolved almost overnight.

The biggest change: Instead of quickly sedating people who had shockingly low levels of oxygen and then putting them on mechanical ventilators, many doctors are now keeping patients conscious, having them roll over in bed, recline in chairs and continue to breathe on their own — with additional oxygen — for as long as possible.

What Doctors on the Front Lines Wish They’d Known a Month Ago

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
With the number of new deaths and rate of hospitalizations falling in New York, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo said on Monday that “the worst is over” in the coronavirus pandemic, and he announced an alliance with six other Northeastern governors to explore how to eventually lift restrictions — a move that appeared to be an implicit rebuke to President Trump.

The governors from New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Massachusetts and Rhode Island said they would begin to draw up a plan for when to reopen businesses and schools, and how quickly to allow people to return to work safely, although the timeline for such a plan remained unclear.

“If you do it wrong, it can backfire, and we’ve seen that with other places in the globe,” Mr. Cuomo said. “What the art form is going to be here is doing that smartly and doing that in a coordinated way.”

‘Worst Is Over,’ Cuomo Says as States Snub Trump on Restarting Economy

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
There are about half a dozen or so posters who have completely derailed this thread with one message. Please give us our thread back. Some of us would prefer to read/ share updates on the virus and not hear about your hatred/ obsession of a certain someone. Your arrogance is nudging me to vote for him in November to spite you.

Has the curve flattened? If so, where? What is the latest in NYC? Any reports on hospitals being overwhelmed? Is there a shortage on masks? Ventilators? Any updates on potential vaccines?

Has the curve flattened? It's flattening but it's not completely flattened. Some states all together missed the mark on this and they'll have spikes like NY did (Florida, Louisiana). Some places that took it seriously early on are better than others.

If so, where?
Massachusetts is in it's surge and is projected to hit it's peak this week (estimated 4/18).

What is the latest in NYC?
I don't get updated on NY, just Massachusetts so you'll have to do your own research on that.

Any reports on hospitals being overwhelmed?
Yes. I can tell you in Massachusetts that nurses are being told daily to pack a bag because they're not sure when they'll be mandated to stay. Nursing homes across the state are having staffing and PPE shortages. One nursing home in Worcester had to have the National Guard come and test their entire building as 50 of their 93 residents tested positive for COVID-19.

Is there a shortage on masks?
Yes. It is near impossible to get them from any vendor and unless you have confirmed cases in house the State of Massachusetts isn't allocating any of the National Stockpile supplies they have to your facility. My GF who in an ER nurse also moonlights in a vent and trach hospital that received a supply of the Patriots donated masks. They were KN95s the Chinese version of our N95s. N95 masks are fit tested to make sure they're sealed the to the users face, these KN95 don't even have a wire bar in the nose to fit them to the face so they are useless against this virus.

For more information, look up the CDC Guidance for Extending PPE Supplies. It talks about wearing masks for an entire shift, putting the mask in a paper bag and trying to use it for days, use a gown for an entire shift. If gowns, masks, eye protection are unavailable to use a bandana/scarf to cover the mouth, any form of non-conventional eye protection to cover the eyes, and aprons or lab coats as gowns.I can confirm first hand that some nurses are wearing rain coats that the hospitals have purchased as gowns because most gowns are manufactured in China and the hospital has run out.

Ventilators?
Haven't heard of any issues with this in Mass but we haven't hit our peak yet.

Any updates on potential vaccines?
Nope, still looking like a year+ out.

The huge issue is testing. They're running out of testing supplies at a rapid rate. You cannot control this virus without the means to test for it.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
One third of NHS staff and key workers tested in the UK have coronavirus, amid concerns over access to protective equipment

London (CNN)A third of NHS staff and key workers who have been tested for coronavirus in the UK have returned positive results, new British government data shows.

According to figures released Monday, 16,888 people who fall into the category of "key workers and their households," and who have shown symptoms or live with symptomatic people, have been tested. So far, 5,733 -- or 34 percent -- were confirmed to have the virus.

Health workers who are not symptomatic and do not live with people who are do not meet the UK's criteria for testing, so the number is not necessarily representative of all workers.

The government has been under intense pressure to ramp up testing for NHS workers and their families, and to improve their access to appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE).

UK coronavirus: one third of NHS staff and keyworkers have tested positive amid PPE concerns - CNN

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Thank God for the perfection of the other side of the aisle.

certainly not perfection (I can cite those in CA who were telling ppl to go to china town a couple months ago) however it definitely would be MUCH harder to make a video like this for them

I mean the arrogance in that video is hilarious in retrospect. It was open defiance of this virus, which was clearly blown up by the left wing fake news media (;))! And it’s not like these quotes were from January either

Hannity signing off at the end is the cherry on top. The final boss of the sheeple

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
certainly not perfection (I can cite those in CA who were telling ppl to go to china town a couple months ago) however it definitely would be MUCH harder to make a video like this for them

I mean the arrogance in that video is hilarious in retrospect. It was open defiance of this virus, which was clearly blown up by the left wing fake news media (;))! And it’s not like these quotes were from January either

Hannity signing off at the end is the cherry on top. The final boss of the sheeple
Let's not talk about the disservice they were doing to their followers. Hopefully they got the message to look elsewhere for serious news. For those too stubborn to understand, well...

Reactions: CDJ

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Thank God for the perfection of the other side of the aisle.
Yes there were some stupid comments from the other side back at the beginning but none of them acted like those in the video. Even worse, those in the video are still acting like this is no big deal. That is alarming.

They've already said they expect an avalanche of lawsuits to hit Fox news.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Let's not talk about the disservice they were doing to their followers. Hopefully they got the message to look elsewhere for serious news. For those too stubborn to understand, well...

My mom disinvited my uncle from Easter because he thinks this is a hoax and hasn’t been taking precautions at all. Meanwhile my immediate family has 3 people at risk (4 including me but again I’m not all that concerned about myself personally). Hmmmm I wonder where he got this hoax idea from??? Couldn’t be from the only place he gets his news....nahhhhhhh.....

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
https://nypost.com/2020/04/14/93-year-old-woman-gets-big-beer-delivery-after-viral-plea/

beer.jpg

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I WANT the President to succeed in getting us through this pandemic but sadly I've lost hope.

When this first broke I wanted him to unite the country like George Bush did on 9/11. That feeling of unity and resolve along with bringing comfort to a rattled nation. I got none of that and that is what hurts.

We all want to see friends and family, go back to work in offices and do things like going out to eat or simply go to the grocery store without being afraid. Until we start getting leadership from the top, I'm afraid we're going to be waiting a lot longer than we think.

The real leadership has come on the state level for the most part. I am so very thankful for local leadership but also that of Newsom, Insley, Lamont and Cuomo.

I do wonder if this wasn't an election year would things have been handled differently?

Reactions: Bocephus86

easton117

Nov 11, 2017

I’m genuinely curious about what is going to happen when the flood gates open and people are allowed to start mingling again.

I don’t want to say it’s going to be like frosh week. But ya, it’s gonna be like frosh week.

Difference is the hangovers.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I’m genuinely curious about what is going to happen when the flood gates open and people are allowed to start mingling again.

I don’t want to say it’s going to be like frosh week. But ya, it’s gonna be like frosh week.

Difference is the hangovers.
I'll watch it on the news because I sure the hell won't be rushing out right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad