All things considered, best rookie campaigns in NHL history

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
I have mixed feelings about considering Gretzky a rookie in his first NHL season. He did play professional hockey for a year previously, and it was in a league with some very top flight players and that was probably gaining on the NHL, but it was still a league that was somewhat below the NHL, so in a sense, it might not have been too different from an AHL that was jacked up by some stars. He also hadn't previously been eligible under the previously existing NHL age rules. So, in one sense, the rules were what they were, but they were also a little inconsistent.

In Selanne's case, I have a little harder time viewing him as a "true" rookie, though I'll also readily acknowledge that it might not really be fair for me to see it that way. He did win it with the rules that were put in place after Makarov's win, so it was legitimate, but he still had much more professional experience than a player who fits the natural image of a rookie does. Still, it's a legitimate position to include them, so I'm not bashing anyone that does.

Anyway, I'm going to go in other directions, just to play it safe, so to speak. At forward, I'll go with Ovechkin, though Bossy is very tempting. I think it's hard to find real separation, and I'd be interested in how others see the direct comparison between the two of them. At defense, I'm going with Orr. Bourque is tempting, but Orr just feels more consequential to me. I'm not so sure that's the best way to phrase it, but it's the best I can come up with right now. In net, I think it has to be Dryden. He was Hart runner-up and already had a Conn Smythe on his mantle. It's just hard for me to see past that.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I have mixed feelings about considering Gretzky a rookie in his first NHL season. He did play professional hockey for a year previously, and it was in a league with some very top flight players and that was probably gaining on the NHL, but it was still a league that was somewhat below the NHL, so in a sense, it might not have been too different from an AHL that was jacked up by some stars. He also hadn't previously been eligible under the previously existing NHL age rules. So, in one sense, the rules were what they were, but they were also a little inconsistent.

In Selanne's case, I have a little harder time viewing him as a "true" rookie, though I'll also readily acknowledge that it might not really be fair for me to see it that way. He did win it with the rules that were put in place after Makarov's win, so it was legitimate, but he still had much more professional experience than a player who fits the natural image of a rookie does. Still, it's a legitimate position to include them, so I'm not bashing anyone that does.

Anyway, I'm going to go in other directions, just to play it safe, so to speak. At forward, I'll go with Ovechkin, though Bossy is very tempting. I think it's hard to find real separation, and I'd be interested in how others see the direct comparison between the two of them. At defense, I'm going with Orr. Bourque is tempting, but Orr just feels more consequential to me. I'm not so sure that's the best way to phrase it, but it's the best I can come up with right now. In net, I think it has to be Dryden. He was Hart runner-up and already had a Conn Smythe on his mantle. It's just hard for me to see past that.

To clarify, all things considered means disregarding whether they were actually considered "rookies".

OV played four years of pro hockey in the RSL, which could be argued as being close to the level of the WHL in general, but even moreso in the 2004/05 season when many NHLer's played in the RSL due to the lockout.

OV was also close to a year and half older than Wayne.

Kuljeskelen

Jan 2, 2020
Finland
Without considering anything (like age and so on) in is rookie Selanne was 5th in points, incredibly excellent considering the high level brought by a large group that year, but that was Pierre Turgeon level, 76 goal being a big plus obviously.

Gretzky had 5 more points and was above a prime Lafleur, was tie for number 1 and hart winner is rookie season and won the Hart, what make Selanne rookie season above that, even before considering anything else ?

Selänne and Gretzky first NHL seasons would be as seasons as comparable as any, tying NHL lead with 76 goals or tying NHL lead with 137 points.
But all things considered, Selänne was clearly older, and it's a shame Gretzky wasn't allowed to get Calder... so yeah, I wouldn't put Selänne's season above Gretzky's in a "rookie season" sense, no matter how much I would like to, Finnish bias and all that.

Reactions: Dingo

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Cam Ward and Patrick Roy won conn smythe trophies as rookies.
Matt Murray didn't - but he was great in 2016, he could have.

Dryden too, but was mentioned already

Overall my top 2 are Gretzky & Selanne

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
To clarify, all things considered means disregarding whether they were actually considered "rookies".

OV played four years of pro hockey in the RSL, which could be argued as being close to the level of the WHL in general, but even moreso in the 2004/05 season when many NHLer's played in the RSL due to the lockout.

OV was also close to a year and half older than Wayne.

I'm not really sure how "all things considered" means disregarding a potentially relevant factor, but either way, as I said previously, it's a legitimate position to include Gretzky and Selanne.

I'm pretty sure we're never going to see eye to eye on the strength of the RSL, so I'll just say that I disagree on its strength and move on. As for 04-05, I suppose an argument somewhat similar to Gretzky in 79-80, but I don't think it's the same. Every would-be rookie missed out on that season, meaning that we'd have to throw out virtually an entire rookie class, whether they played in Russia, a stronger than normal AHL, or whatever. That definitely doesn't feel right.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I'm not really sure how "all things considered" means disregarding a potentially relevant factor, but either way, as I said previously, it's a legitimate position to include Gretzky and Selanne.

I'm pretty sure we're never going to see eye to eye on the strength of the RSL, so I'll just say that I disagree on its strength and move on. As for 04-05, I suppose an argument somewhat similar to Gretzky in 79-80, but I don't think it's the same. Every would-be rookie missed out on that season, meaning that we'd have to throw out virtually an entire rookie class, whether they played in Russia, a stronger than normal AHL, or whatever. That definitely doesn't feel right.

I think OV being 18 months older is the bigger consideration than the league they played prior to the NHL.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
I think OV being 18 months older is the bigger consideration than the league they played prior to the NHL.

I can't see how that matters, given the circumstances. He, along with every other player who should have been a rookie in 2004-05 missed out on a season through absolutely no fault of their own. If that matters, we might as well pretend that rookie class doesn't exist. That makes no sense to do. I might see it differently if he had simply decided he wasn't going to the NHL of his own volition, but that's not what happened.

Besides that, rookie is, rightly, I think, not entirely tied to age. Some sort of age restriction was obviously needed after a 31-year-old who wasn't a rookie in any real sense of the word won the Calder, but to tie the award strictly to age 18 or 19 or whatever cuts out a lot of true rookies. That's why I can see real merit to a case for Gretzky in particular as a rookie. Put simply, there's no legitimate argument for excluding Ovechkin from my perspective.

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
i think selanne and gretz take this.

one i have not seen mentioned is peter stastny. yes, he was older, but it was a very good first year in a new world.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Makes you wonder where McDavid’s would have ranked in hindsight. He was 3rd in p/g, which I believe would have been the highest outside of Gretzky.

Reactions: Dingo

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Makes you wonder where McDavid’s would have ranked in hindsight. He was 3rd in p/g, which I believe would have been the highest outside of Gretzky.

Presuming a normal rookie season i.e. a certain period of getting acclimated to the new level, he likely drops in PPG placement, as he missed this time due to injuries.

Likely a Crosby-level type of rookie season, which is a bit below where he finished. It wasn't a particularly strong 3rd place PPG finish in 15/16.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
My attempt at ranking the best seasons. I don't care about age.

1. Gretzky - tied for 1st in points, Hart Trophy
  2. Stewart - 1st in points and goals, Hart Trophy, all pre-consolidation. Great playoffs.
  3. Ovechkin - 3rd in points, 3rd in goals, 6th in Hart voting on a non-playoff team
  4. T Esposito - Vezina, 1st Team AS, 2nd in Hart voting
  5. Brimsek - 1st Team AS, Vezina, Great playoffs
  6. Selanne - 5th in points, 1st (tied) in goals, 6th in Hart voting.
  7. Dryden - 2nd Team AS (to Esposito), 2nd in Hart voting.
  8. Bourque - 4th in Norrris voting against a solid field.
  9. Orr - 3rd in Norris voting against a relatively weak field, missed a number of games.
  10. Crosby - 6th in points, playing on a weak team.
  11. Hextall - narrow Vezina win over a weak field, followed by Conn Smythe

HM (no order):

Bossy - 6th in points, 2nd in goals. 3rd on his own team in scoring, however.

Hawerchuk - 5th in Hart voting but not top 10 in any statistical category.

Barrasso - narrow Vezina win in a split field of very weak competition.

It's possible I'm missing someone. I just checked players mentioned in this thread plus Hextall.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Presuming a normal rookie season i.e. a certain period of getting acclimated to the new level, he likely drops in PPG placement, as he missed this time due to injuries.

Likely a Crosby-level type of rookie season, which is a bit below where he finished. It wasn't a particularly strong 3rd place PPG finish in 15/16.
McDavid wasn’t a normal rookie and isn’t a normal player. He acclimated quite fine by winning the Ross the following season when he was healthy. If anything, I’d say he was more likely to finish 2nd in p/g than dropping had he stayed healthy. Likely slightly better than a Crosby level rookie season.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
McDavid wasn’t a normal rookie and isn’t a normal player. He acclimated quite fine by winning the Ross the following season when he was healthy. If anything, I’d say he was more likely to finish 2nd in p/g than dropping had he stayed healthy. Likely slightly better than a Crosby level rookie season.

No player in history, not Wayne, not Mario, was close to their peak in their rookie season as a teenager. No reason to think McDavid would be any different. He was under a PPG when he got injured early in the season. The next year he was slightly below Crosby's 2006/07 season. That's the best comparable.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

idk, historically mcdavid has been a late riser so if anything i would expect him to have put up a scorching bure-style stretch run of rookie year push

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
idk, historically mcdavid has been a late riser so if anything i would expect him to have put up a scorching bure-style stretch run of rookie year push

We can speculate all day but rookie seasons are a one-time thing unlike seasons in one's prime. We never got the chance to see how McDavid's rookie production played out over the course of a full season.

Great PGG but if the hesitancy of placing too much value on partial seasons by other players is an indication, McDavid's rookie season is a footnote in this thread.

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada
Another thing about the Selanne rookie year - Mario scored 69 in 60 games I believe. Had he played a full season he might have broken 92.

swerdnase

Jan 27, 2013
Tony Esposito - Calder, Vezina, Hart runner up, first team all star and sets modern day shut out record at 15.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
My attempt at ranking the best seasons. I don't care about age.

1. Gretzky - tied for 1st in points, Hart Trophy
  2. Stewart - 1st in points and goals, Hart Trophy, all pre-consolidation. Great playoffs.
  3. Ovechkin - 3rd in points, 3rd in goals, 6th in Hart voting on a non-playoff team
  4. T Esposito - Vezina, 1st Team AS, 2nd in Hart voting
  5. Brimsek - 1st Team AS, Vezina, Great playoffs
  6. Selanne - 5th in points, 1st (tied) in goals, 6th in Hart voting.
  7. Dryden - 2nd Team AS (to Esposito), 2nd in Hart voting.
  8. Bourque - 4th in Norrris voting against a solid field.
  9. Orr - 3rd in Norris voting against a relatively weak field, missed a number of games.
  10. Crosby - 6th in points, playing on a weak team.
  11. Hextall - narrow Vezina win over a weak field, followed by Conn Smythe

HM (no order):

Bossy - 6th in points, 2nd in goals. 3rd on his own team in scoring, however.

Hawerchuk - 5th in Hart voting but not top 10 in any statistical category.

What if you did care about age?

Barrasso - narrow Vezina win in a split field of very weak competition.

It's possible I'm missing someone. I just checked players mentioned in this thread plus Hextall.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I can't see how that matters, given the circumstances. He, along with every other player who should have been a rookie in 2004-05 missed out on a season through absolutely no fault of their own. If that matters, we might as well pretend that rookie class doesn't exist. That makes no sense to do. I might see it differently if he had simply decided he wasn't going to the NHL of his own volition, but that's not what happened.

Besides that, rookie is, rightly, I think, not entirely tied to age. Some sort of age restriction was obviously needed after a 31-year-old who wasn't a rookie in any real sense of the word won the Calder, but to tie the award strictly to age 18 or 19 or whatever cuts out a lot of true rookies. That's why I can see real merit to a case for Gretzky in particular as a rookie. Put simply, there's no legitimate argument for excluding Ovechkin from my perspective.

We aren't excluding Ovechkin. It is just that his rookie season took place when he was 1 and 1/2 years older than Wayne and almost two years older than Crosby.

These are things to be "considered".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad