All things 'Billy Smith'

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Interesting that Potvin came in after Stevens charged Smitty, because I was watching a Billy Smith compilation video and there was another incident where a player got tangled up with Smitty in the crease and wound up on top of him wailing away and Potvin just came by and stood over him watching instead of trying to pull the player off his goalie.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
^^^ Well, I "liked" Billy Smith when he stuck to playing Goal including being aggressive but I did not like, didnt respect his gutless slashes & butt-ends, blockers to the back of guys heads etc & then as a Goalie never had to put up? He did it to get into the oppositions head, the most base form of doing so that exists. Theres clearing your crease & then theres clearing your crease & you shouldnt be doing it maliciously with what in his case was either deliberate intent to injure or just a complete lack of respect & critical thought for his opponents, take no prisoners psychopathy that has absolutely no place in the game at anytime in any era. Only through luck did he not end someones career while shortening the careers of a few with his reckless play.... Yet when he stuck to playing his position clean, excellent little goalie, hybrid. Money player. Underrated in the pantheons and he only has himself to blame for it.... bit facile I suppose, but I also disliked his equipment rig, those idiotic birdcages with helmets, the straps at the top of his pads barely done up...

Agreed Killion, but as a goalie myself and I know you are too, I've always felt part of a sacred fraternity and I'm hard-pressed to think of a netminding brother that I dislike. "The few, the proud, the goalies" and all that...

But yeah, those fashion decisions, ~woof~. I don't even recall the black pads as I was tuning out hockey when the Islanders started winning those Cups, just made me sick to my stomach.

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
Agreed Killion, but as a goalie myself and I know you are too, I've always felt part of a sacred fraternity and I'm hard-pressed to think of a netminding brother that I dislike. "The few, the proud, the goalies" and all that...

But yeah, those fashion decisions, ~woof~. I don't even recall the black pads as I was tuning out hockey when the Islanders started winning those Cups, just made me sick to my stomach.

Don't think the black pads came until after the dynasty. In the dynasty years (and before) he was wearing the blue/red Kohos for the most part. Which look fantastic despite what some of the local philistines are saying here :).

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
A goalie you want on your team, no question about it. Sometimes he doesn't get enough credit for backstopping the Isles to those 19 straight series wins. Made some clutch saves along the way and stood up in those overtimes as well. I think this is when he thrived the most. He could play on my team anyday of the week.

There was a poll done a while back on here asking which goalie you think was better between Tony Esposito and Smith. I picked Smith.

Absolutely agree. Despite my poison arrows Smith one for the ages. Outstanding. Total Money Player....Wasnt an Esposito fan at all for that matter but thats another subject.

... :laugh: had ta swallow hard huh?..... and I dont "dislike" Billy Smith at all, quite the contrary. I didnt like certain aspects of his game taken in total, as Ive said theres clearing your crease & then theres going Lumberjack Psycho and Smith not only crossed that line repeatedly he lived over there much of the time. Beyond, over the line, over the edge. I called him a Junkyard Dog. Feral. Rabid. And he was. That doesnt mean I "hate him" or dont "respect him". His accomplishments speak for themselves. Tremendous Goaltender. He never quit, total commitment to his team, to his teammates, to stopping that puck from crossing the line & if he had to cross the lines to protect his net & himself he wouldnt think twice about it....

He was in many ways a product of his era, the bruising 70's, an era of extremes. From the high flying Montreal Canadiens to the far more base, in your face intimidation tactics employed by the likes of the Flyers & a few other teams. He fought fire with fire and then some so on that level, from that perspective he deserves respect and for me to criticize & damn him, dislike doesnt come into play as I did like the guy, pretty hypocritical as I myself led a couple of leagues in Goaltender PIM's for pretty much the same thing Smith did though not to the same extremes. Of course I never played in the NHL or WHA so who knows? Entirely possible I may have played it just like Battlin Billy and as Im only 5'9" I had to get physical/nasty/mean at the Junior level. You do what you think you have to do to make room for yourself out there, clear the lanes & if that means going full-on wood chopper?... ya, yer goin down Buddy... nice knowin ya now get the #### outta my crease & face. :naughty:

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Don't think the black pads came until after the dynasty. In the dynasty years (and before) he was wearing the blue/red Kohos for the most part. Which look fantastic despite what some of the local philistines are saying here :).

.... I assume your addressing me?.... know what Mister Mcuillicuddy?... Im messin with ya. :laugh:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Interesting that Potvin came in after Stevens charged Smitty, because I was watching a Billy Smith compilation video and there was another incident where a player got tangled up with Smitty in the crease and wound up on top of him wailing away and Potvin just came by and stood over him watching instead of trying to pull the player off his goalie.

It is quite possible Smith specifically would tell his teammates not to jump in. That sounds like him at least. Bossy can recall in practice how Smith would get mad and want to fight him - in practice - if he was scoring on him.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
It is quite possible Smith specifically would tell his teammates not to jump in. That sounds like him at least. Bossy can recall in practice how Smith would get mad and want to fight him - in practice - if he was scoring on him.

Entirely possible, yes, fiercely independent & proud however what belies that theory is that time & time again he dropped his own players into the sheep dip as a result of HIS actions... then sought the safety of his crease, lolling back on the cross-bar watching the fists fly.... And tell ya what.... any Goalie who loses it to the point of violence during practice when he's scored on?... Get angry with yourself for failing to play the shot, tip-in or deke properly, learn from it... I knew guys that got angry, totally lost in fact during practices when someone let go with a head high slapshot & actually did drop their gloves & stick, ripped off their masks & proceeded to try & chase down the offender (pretty hysterical actually) but Ive never seen a goalie snap when scored on in a practice. That aint right, not normal, and I dont think its admirable quality.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
image.jpg

I liked it when he wore this face mask and was disappointed when he switched to the helmet/cage combo.

:jets

crobro

Aug 8, 2008

Yes as I former Jr B goalie myself there are very few goalies I dislike but their is one I can’t stand his name is Dan Cloutier who is I believe the only goalie in NHL history to blame his D corps for a bad game during the dressing room media scrum post game, every time he pooped the bed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad