GDT: All things Baseball

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
The NHLPA was thoroughly against a cap system, too.

You know how baseball can create new fans? Excitement in lots of different markets. If your team goes on a run, people get interested. Oh, and appeal to Latinos in certain cities with huge latino populations by implementing a salary floor along with the cap. If you can even just make the Marlins relevant you can grow by your fanbase a couple percentage points.

MLB may stagnate a while, but it'll still be a major player for a very, very long time.
The MLBPA is a lot stronger than the NHLPA.

With TV coverage what it is, those markets have fans. Nashville probably wont get a new team as the 5 teams who broadcast in Nashville will fight it.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
And Bettman is actually a damn good commissioner, IMO. The NHL is the strongest it's ever been these days. Manfred, however- woof. Can't argue with you there

I've said this before and will say it again, Bettman doesn't deserve all the hate he gets. The dude does a good job taking it in stride and even has a little fun being the "villain". That doesn't mean he is perfect but I like him more than I do the other commissioners (Goodell/Silver/Manfred).

MLB may stagnate a while, but it'll still be a major player for a very, very long time

I'm noticing more and more kids playing Baseball these days. That wasn't the case when I was growing up. There should be some good talent to look forward too in the next 5 years.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
The DBAP could be expanded to hold 30k. Maybe Tampa and Durham could switch places.

I'd absolutely love this to happen. Probably the biggest established baseball brand that isn't already in MLB, but at the same time, I do wonder if moving up to MLB would hurt the branding they've embraced of being the definitive minor league franchise. That being said, I'm sure they would be clever enough to make that work should they go that path.

As for them moving to Montreal, possibly. After the Nats moved, I could see MLB trying to give them an established team so they can have an opportunity to have success sooner than they would through an expansion. Especially since the Expos pretty much acted like an expansion team throughout their entire existence.

The NHLPA was thoroughly against a cap system, too.

You know how baseball can create new fans? Excitement in lots of different markets. If your team goes on a run, people get interested. Oh, and appeal to Latinos in certain cities with huge latino populations by implementing a salary floor along with the cap. If you can even just make the Marlins relevant you can grow by your fanbase a couple percentage points.

MLB may stagnate a while, but it'll still be a major player for a very, very long time.

A cap would help out baseball tremendously. At this point you have to be a team in a big market to have a chance to win. Period. If your team isn't in New York, Boston, LA, San Fran, Philly, Chicago, DC, St Louis, or Houston, you really don't have a shot. A cap would help even the field and help more teams actually have a realistic shot. So many teams are content with being bad because they know there isn't any hope, and a Cap would help embolden those teams to actually try.

Reactions: cptjeff

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
A cap would help out baseball tremendously. At this point you have to be a team in a big market to have a chance to win. Period. If your team isn't in New York, Boston, LA, San Fran, Philly, Chicago, DC, St Louis, or Houston, you really don't have a shot. A cap would help even the field and help more teams actually have a realistic shot. So many teams are content with being bad because they know there isn't any hope, and a Cap would help embolden those teams to actually try.
Throwing some shade at the Braves :sarcasm:

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I wouldn't exactly call Cumberland, Georgia a major city

:D
That's a good thing. Downtown Atlanta mostly sucks. I'll never forget a bum trying to fight me during the middle of the Publix Atlanta half-marathon. :laugh:

I guess there's a few blocks that are cool but I don't miss their stadium being in the hood.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
That's a good thing. Downtown Atlanta mostly sucks. I'll never forget a bum trying to fight me during the middle of the Publix Atlanta half-marathon. :laugh:

I guess there's a few blocks that are cool but I don't miss their stadium being in the hood.

At least the team offered shuttle service to and from the Five Points MARTA station. Yeah it's MARTA but it damn sure beat driving to Turner.

On another note, whoever designed I75/I85 to run together through Downtown should be shot. What a clusterf*** of a highway.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I'm watching some of opening day across the league, some of the stadiums have what look like cardboard cutouts of fans in the stands. The pumped in crowd noise is kind of amusing.

Reactions: zman77

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'm watching some of opening day across the league, some of the stadiums have what look like cardboard cutouts of fans in the stands. The pumped in crowd noise is kind of amusing.
I know at least a few of the teams are sending the foul ball to you if it hits your cut out. Honestly, it hasn't felt crazy different to me, but baseball is of course a sport you can easily watch while doing other things, so that might help.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
1/3 of the Marlins tested positive for COVID. Their so series against the Orioles has been canceled. The Phillies, who were their opponents this weekend, are in quarantine as well and their series against the Yankees has been postponed.

I don't think this experiment is going to last long.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
1/3 of the Marlins tested positive for COVID. Their so series against the Orioles has been canceled. The Phillies, who were their opponents this weekend, are in quarantine as well and their series against the Yankees has been postponed.

Well if things were to shut down now, the Padres and A's would be the best teams in both leagues. Maybe do a rock-paper-scissors tournament to determine the World Series winner?

Reactions: Tryamw

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007

Looking good to finish the season. All it took was a little bump in the road, make the guys commit to being a little smarter.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Final Scores from yesterday:

Brewers 19, Tigers 0

Braves 29, Marlins 9
Braves game:
Most runs by a national league team ever
2nd most runs ever in MLB
Duvall was the 24th person ever to have two three HR games in a season

most of it was on Mattingly. In a effort to save his bullpen as he has a 15 games in 11 days coming up, he left in a guy that had a session high of 38 pitches in for 80 pitches. In an effort to save his pen that guy pitched 80 pitches to get 8 outs. Those 5 extra outs really worth 11 runs?

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Braves game:
Most runs by a national league team ever
2nd most runs ever in MLB
Duvall was the 24th person ever to have two three HR games in a season

most of it was on Mattingly. In a effort to save his bullpen as he has a 15 games in 11 days coming up, he left in a guy that had a session high of 38 pitches in for 80 pitches. In an effort to save his pen that guy pitched 80 pitches to get 8 outs. Those 5 extra outs really worth 11 runs?
Would like this post but my privileges are gone.

Craziest thing is that another reliever has given up 14 runs in a similar amount of innings in the modern era. But I went through game 5 NLDS last year so double digit scoring innings against I know all about.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Apparently despite losing 29-9 a few weeks ago, the Marlins are good enough for their first playoff berth as a franchise since 2003.

Looks like the Padres made it too, first time for them since 2006.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Apparently despite losing 29-9 a few weeks ago, the Marlins are good enough for their first playoff berth as a franchise since 2003.

Looks like the Padres made it too, first time for them since 2006.
Both of them making it means my Mariners have the longest drought by 10 years now.

Reactions: HisIceness

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->