GDT: All things Baseball

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
But seriously, the Nats are just as close as the Braves for large portions of NC, so if you're looking to escape the Braves, the routine disappointments of the Nationals are another option!

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
But seriously, the Nats are just as close as the Braves for large portions of NC, so if you're looking to escape the Braves, the routine disappointments of the Nationals are another option!
I'd become a fan of the Yankees before I ever root for the Nats. And the Yankees single A team is already located here where I live.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I'd become a fan of the Yankees before I ever root for the Nats. And the Yankees single A team is already located here where I live.
I was never a Braves fan, so picking up the Nats was pretty easy for me. I only really started watching baseball in college, when I wound up rooting for the aforementioned Yankees. T'was them or the Mets, and I started watching in 2009, so that season ended pretty well for the Yankees, and ended in a massive collapse for the Mets, so. Also, the Yankees still had a bunch of the old Greensboro players back then- Posada, Jeter, Cano.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Triad Triplets for life!

(Greensboro was seriously batting around the idea of going after the Twins for a while)

I created a thread in the Baseball forum about that, it was Kernersville of all places they were looking at. No disrespect to our Triad friends but that region just isn't right for full-time major league sports, and especially not one in a league that plays 81 home games.

Reactions: cptjeff

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I was never a Braves fan, so picking up the Nats was pretty easy for me. I only really started watching baseball in college, when I wound up rooting for the aforementioned Yankees. T'was them or the Mets, and I started watching in 2009, so that season ended pretty well for the Yankees, and ended in a massive collapse for the Mets, so. Also, the Yankees still had a bunch of the old Greensboro players back then- Posada, Jeter, Cano.
I've become a Braves fan just by living in their broadcast region for so long (although they used to be broadcast nationally on TBS but that's beside the point), and it's basically the same thing for liking the Panthers and Hurricanes since I don't live in Atlanta, Charlotte, or Raleigh. I had other teams I casually rooted for as a kid based on where we lived briefly and based on my parents teams (although they're casual sports fans at best), but these 3 teams are all I've rooted for since my teenage and adult years.

As for the Nats, they are still like the Braves Jr. when it comes to choking so they're not much of an improvement there, and at least I can somewhat remember the Braves having won a World Series and other playoff series.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I became a Braves fan more or less because my uncle lived in Atlanta in the early 90's and was a season-ticket holder at the old Fulton County Stadium. I remember the night they won the World Series, and the year after and the disappointing sweep to the NYY in 1999.

Kind of like the Redskins were, they are the de facto home team for the Carolinas, and Fox Sports Carolinas airs their games, so I still support them.

1995 was a long ass time ago

Think about this, Hootie and the Blowfish was the biggest band in the world that year. Darius Rucker has been a successful country music star for 10 years now. Damn time flies.

Reactions: Canes

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
Nats win a playoff series for the first time and only the second time in their 50 year franchise history (Expos 1981).

Congrats?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
As long as the Braves employ player’s managers instead of a baseball smart manager, they will continue to choke.

Snit had 2 weeks to get the rotation in line to have the best chance in a playoff series. Instead Keuchel and Folty get 2 starts but our best SPs were Fried and Soroka.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
As long as the Braves employ player’s managers instead of a baseball smart manager, they will continue to choke.

Snit had 2 weeks to get the rotation in line to have the best chance in a playoff series. Instead Keuchel and Folty get 2 starts but our best SPs were Fried and Soroka.
No idea what he saw in Keuchel. He has been pretty mediocre outside of a few starts since signing. Folty I can sort of understand considering he was mostly great since returning from AAA but he's still a headcase that can explode at anytime as we saw last night. Soroka, like you said, has been our best pitcher all year and it was a borderline fireable offense not starting him at least twice. I was also surprised he left Fried out of the rotation, but I guess he trusted Keuchel more because he's a vet and he didn't want to have 2 lefties start against the Cardinals right handed heavy lineup. Snit has been making questionable decisions since he's started, the Braves have succeeded in spite of him and not because of him. It's going to be hard to be excited about the Braves until they can sign or develop more pitchers and Snit stops his pants-on-head Pejorative Slured decision making.

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
As a Yankees fan currently in D.C. I'm rooting hard for a Yanks/Nats W.S.! Also, it would be awesome for my bracket if the Stros choke away this series, so here's hoping!

And as for yesterday, boy I was SOOOO hyped for this City. I've been a casual Nats fan for years now and really had given up hoping for them lol. For them to make this milestone AFTER losing Bryce, real great to see. (Also my nephew is old enough to start somewhat following baseball and while I'd of course prefer for him to be Yankees fan, it's fun cheering along the Nats wiht him :) )

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad