All Things AHL Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
My last comment here was replied to, regarding a preference for Husso to play lots of AHL games next year rather than sit as the Blues' back-up.

OK, but my comment quoted was with regards to someone wanting to trade Husso. Why?

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
People want Husso to be traded?? Meh not really sure what we’d gain from throwing away a strong prospect and possible starting goalie in three seasons.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
People want Husso to be traded?? Meh not really sure what we’d gain from throwing away a strong prospect and possible starting goalie in three seasons.

Look Husso short career in NA, how has it went? It hasn't been normal path, Husso faced unprofessional NHL franchise who lacks of coaching skill or general prospect developement system. It has been outrageous how badly St. Louis Blues have handle hole situation begin when Husso came NA. Now we see some positive things for Husso, getting call-up and give spirit for what kind of is NHL atmoshpere. I'm not saying Blues should give everything on golden plate, but God damnit if guy comes from europe and you know he've all the toolbox for starter goaltender or even more, you don't push him in trash heap and think he'll be ok. You give all the needed sport facility and goaltender coaches etc. etc.

Overall I'm starting to do understand why NA doesn't produce that much good goaltenders like small country Finland or Sweden.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hockey#Number_of_registered_players_by_country

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?rep...lter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=playerNationality

There is currently 70 goaltender in 2017-2018 season NHL who has played at least 1 GP. Maybe some wise guy can make % what are the % in each country developement NHL caliber goaltender/reg. ice-hockey players/general country population.

Canada has 28 goaltenders
USA has 15 goaltenders
Sweden has 7 goaltenders
Finland has 7 goaltenders
Czech has 3 goaltenders
Germany has 2 goaltenders
Slovakia has 2 goaltenders
Denmark has 1 goaltender
Switzerland has 1 goaltender

I'm just pissed how poorly Blues handled his only promising goaltender prospect first year in NA and also this year is pretty damn shitty situation.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
The Blues have done just fine developing goalie prospects recently. We've developed two of the top 15 goalies in the NHL. If it was good enough for Allen and Bishop, it's good enough for Husso. He's only 22, which is still young for a goalie. He started 32 games last year in the AHL, and he's started about 40% of the AHL team's games this year and has spent the rest of the time practicing with the NHL squad. The situation in the AHL is not ideal, but it's also not destroying his development. He's still getting games, he's still practicing at the highest level. There's no real pressing need for him, so I don't know why we would want to rush him along. If he's that anxious to get a starting job in the NHL, he's going to have to wait until he hits free agency or Allen gets injured long term or his play starts to falter. If Allen is playing like he has been for the last 60 games or so, Husso is not going to get much of a shot(nor should he, Allen is better). There's no reason to trade him because he's still under control for quite some time and has next to no value. He's a good insurance plan.

Reactions: Weiss1604

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
I don't think Allen sucking would cause him to lose the starting gig here. He could rock a 3.00 GAA and a 0.830 SV% and still get most of the starts if last season is any evidence

The Grouch

Jan 31, 2009
I don't think Allen sucking would cause him to lose the starting gig here. He could rock a 3.00 GAA and a 0.830 SV% and still get most of the starts if last season is any evidence

In fairness, management were correct in their decision to keep playing him. Allen has rebounded nicely. I found myself questioning the Blues' decisions over that period, but it worked out.

The Blues have put themselves in a position as a franchise to have the luxury of patience. They can endure a stumble from their young starting goaltender and let high potential prospects ripen in a lower league. Some franchises due to ownership or mismanagement don't have that luxury. I think St. Louis' young players/prospects are better for it.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Look Husso short career in NA, how has it went? It hasn't been normal path, Husso faced unprofessional NHL franchise who lacks of coaching skill or general prospect developement system. It has been outrageous how badly St. Louis Blues have handle hole situation begin when Husso came NA. Now we see some positive things for Husso, getting call-up and give spirit for what kind of is NHL atmoshpere. I'm not saying Blues should give everything on golden plate, but God damnit if guy comes from europe and you know he've all the toolbox for starter goaltender or even more, you don't push him in trash heap and think he'll be ok. You give all the needed sport facility and goaltender coaches etc. etc.

Overall I'm starting to do understand why NA doesn't produce that much good goaltenders like small country Finland or Sweden.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hockey#Number_of_registered_players_by_country

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?rep...lter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=playerNationality

There is currently 70 goaltender in 2017-2018 season NHL who has played at least 1 GP. Maybe some wise guy can make % what are the % in each country developement NHL caliber goaltender/reg. ice-hockey players/general country population.

Canada has 28 goaltenders
USA has 15 goaltenders
Sweden has 7 goaltenders
Finland has 7 goaltenders
Czech has 3 goaltenders
Germany has 2 goaltenders
Slovakia has 2 goaltenders
Denmark has 1 goaltender
Switzerland has 1 goaltender

I'm just pissed how poorly Blues handled his only promising goaltender prospect first year in NA and also this year is pretty damn ****ty situation.

How has Husso's NA career gone? Let's look at it objectively. I know that is impossible for you to do when discussing Finnish players, and especially Husso. Please try to take off the Finnish-flag colored glsses for a second. He came to North America to get adjusted to ice and ran into an unfortunate clog at the AHL level. Despite that- he got 35 games over a 76 game season. Some were in the ECHL, but its not as garbage a league as you think. Most importantly, it has NA angles and less pressure to be good. He could get adjusted at his own pace. Many successful goalies have spent some time there and he spent less than 1/3 of a season there with visits from Conklin. Before the end of the season, the AHL log jam was handled and he was the presumptive starter. He got all 10 games of play-off experience to boot. He is now playing for a good franchise and being pushed by a very good AHL goalie with upside for playing time in San Antonio. This can only help him as he has a marker to compare his performance. Even better, it is not someone blocking his path to the pros. So he is being pushed but not blocked. He has gotten 40% of the starts, and even a call-up in the NHL to experience the show. There is no indication that he will not get more starts if he proves he deserves them. He currently has a worse GAA (although higher save%). So there is reason he has slightly less starts.

The Blues have a organizational goalie development coach, and you can bet Husso's development is his number 1 priority. Although there was little fanfare, I would think he was hired with Husso's specific needs in mind given our goalie depth chart. Also, Husso's path is clear to the NHL with our back-up on an expiring contract. To me, the start wasn't ideal, but it sorted itself out nicely in fairly short order. Being upset now is just looking for a reason to complain.

Last edited:

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Starting in the ECHL as a goalie is fine. The issue was that there was no infrastructure at all within the Mavericks and this could have hindered Husso's development. Luckily he was called up to the Wolves and got a decent amount of games in.

The situation in San Antonio is okay. Martin has been playing well and a little internal competition never hurt anyone. Husso will get his fair share of games.

I agree that the situation has sorted itself out quite well for Husso, it certainly could have gone much worse. Husso could have spent his entire rookie year with the Mavericks and not developed at all, and probably would have been motivated to just stay in Finland after his rookie season.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Starting in the ECHL as a goalie is fine. The issue was that there was no infrastructure at all within the Mavericks and this could have hindered Husso's development. Luckily he was called up to the Wolves and got a decent amount of games in.

The situation in San Antonio is okay. Martin has been playing well and a little internal competition never hurt anyone. Husso will get his fair share of games.

I agree that the situation has sorted itself out quite well for Husso, it certainly could have gone much worse. Husso could have spent his entire rookie year with the Mavericks and not developed at all, and probably would have been motivated to just stay in Finland after his rookie season.
Tell that to Sanford.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
All this worrying about Husso is just a tad bit dramatic in my opinion. I don’t ever think Husso had any sort of chance to play in the NHL this season barring injury. He’s going to get his starts in the AHL this year and possibly next, why rush things? Allen has played fine so I’m more then fine seeing Husso play in the American League. Same goes to for Binnington.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Thompson with a first period goal and Kostin with 2 assists early in the Rampage's matinee game in Grand Rapids. Puck just dropped on the Wolves' matinee game in Milwaukee.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
Wolves already down 3-0 against Milwaukee. Also worth noting Blais is missing his second game with San Antonio, nursing some kind of injury. Thompson playing really well today. Husso has the start for the Rampage. Currently with 14 saves on 16 shots.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
Well after being up 3-1 at one point the Griffins have turned this game completely around. Rampage failed to shut down their offense and are down 6-4 with only a few min left. Wolves continue to have their struggles against Milwaukee as well.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
Rampage win it 2-1, Musil knocked in a rebound goal, his second of the season. Both Schmaltz and Blais got assists. Pretty physical game with a ton of scrums though none of the Blues prospects went at it with each other. Elsewhere in the AHL Binnington was the backup for the Providence Bruins but they play again tomorrow. Also worth noting Husso was the backup for both Rampage games this went. Spencer Martin played really well Friday so it looks like they wanted to ride him again tonight.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
Yet another day game where San Antonio is lit up. 6-3 final. Husso played the third period and final min or so of the second. Goals from Kostin, Blais and Thompson. Love to see the kids get their points but the Rampage as a whole have been pretty inconsistent this season.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Yet another day game where San Antonio is lit up. 6-3 final. Husso played the third period and final min or so of the second. Goals from Kostin, Blais and Thompson. Love to see the kids get their points but the Rampage as a whole have been pretty inconsistent this season.

I really hope we call up one of them or Barbie tomorrow.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I wanted more of a look at Blais. I think the team was being very diplomatic about Blais, but there seems to be something about his game that they aren't convinced about. He had a pretty short leash in St Louis, and didn't last as long as I'd expected.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I wanted more of a look at Blais. I think the team was being very diplomatic about Blais, but there seems to be something about his game that they aren't convinced about. He had a pretty short leash in St Louis, and didn't last as long as I'd expected.
He's getting Rattie treatment.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Slow to react to the puck and play. His play dropped off a clip after 2 games. Some guys arent ready. Look at Dunn, younger and a harder position to play. He got better every game, not worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad