All the NHL teams could draft Crosby in 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munchausen

I don't buy that.

Which show? There's alot of clowns on TV...

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
from the NHL game night board...and this would at least seem to hold some validity to it, as it does make sense....Anyways, posted by GoCoyotes:

The Draft is part of the CBA, as it lists the rules and so forth involved with the CBA. The current CBA doesn't expire until Sept 2004, so the 2004 draft is intact, but if a new CBA is not agreed upon in time for the 2005 draft, then there would not be one. The terms of the entry draft are set by the CBA, so if there are no rules, there is no draft.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
that is one of the potential way of doing it, but no one knows really how it will be done cause it has never happened before and that draft will be under the new cba...so when they agree to a new cba they will also figure out what happens with the draft, what happens to play contracts (if they don't play do players with 1 year remaining on their deals become free agents or still have 1 year left?, etc...anything now is just speculation...

and if the whole season is lost, who is to say they will agree on something before the 05 draft anyway

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
If infact this is true, what effect does this have on teams trading their 1st round picks? I would venture to say the Value of the 1st round pick would go up, and some teams would be interested in getting extra 1st round picks to increase there odds of getting Crosby. At the same time I don't see many teams wanting to trade their 1st round picks when they have a chance at one of the best prospects to come along in a while.

PK*

There has been some talk over the years to set the minimum age for the Entry Draft at 19. I believe that it would only do goods for players and teams since players tend to mature a lot between 18 and 19. If there is a lockout and it makes the 2005 draft impossible to be held, I think the NHL might consider incresing the minimum age.

st_roland

JasonMacIsaac said:
Kovalchuk - Crosby - Ovechkin

:)

I don't care how hyped Ovechkin has been, when I see him play as well as Heatley i'll believe it=P

Angered Hab

Apr 23, 2003
Great White North
Visit site
If this kid continues to impress as he has done thus far, every team will be dogging it to be #1. It could get ugly. The frontrunners so far seem to be..... Pittsburgh, Columbus, Carolina and probably Florida given that Rick Dudley is a shady character. Hey, who knows... Maybe Mad Mike is trying to start the Isles downward spiral early just so he can have a crack at him. Too bad by then he'll be scouting for some lowly ECHL squad.

As far as a lottery for Crosby goes, I don't trust Bettman or the NHL to do that right. I can see him ending up in Detroit or Jersey where they wouldn't deserve him. Beware Gary Bettman. He is Evil.

HaB
:joker:

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
HABS-65 said:
On a show in montreal a journalist said that if it has a lockout The Nhl will organise a lotteire for who will draft Crosby .

You know that if thats possible a team like the pens will for sure get him. They will take the team that needs him the most and make them the winner of the lottery, and its them.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
What if, hypothetically speaking, this year's defending Stanley Cup Champions get Crosby, how fair is that going to be to the struggling teams like the Islanders, Columbus, Chicago, Washington and Pittsburgh?

I think this is going to be sending the wrong message, even if it is for just this one year...I say combine the point totals of the last two-three years of your team and whoever has the 4 worst point totals out of the rest let them have their lottery and then rank accordingly.

All Star United

Mar 1, 2002
Liverpool
PK said:
There has been some talk over the years to set the minimum age for the Entry Draft at 19. I believe that it would only do goods for players and teams since players tend to mature a lot between 18 and 19. If there is a lockout and it makes the 2005 draft impossible to be held, I think the NHL might consider incresing the minimum age.

I think is one good thing that could come out of the lockout.

I actually am in favor of giving one more year to young players to develop before being drafted. That way, it is less of a gamble (it is still, but the chances for the worst teams to draft the best players increase).

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
HABS-65 said:
On a show in montreal a journalist said that if it has a lockout The Nhl will organise a lotteire for who will draft Crosby .

That won't happen...EITHER:

1. The New CBA will still include an ENTRY DRAFT -- if so,they will
either a) keep the old rules regarding this draft...
or b) devise new rules for it--BUT you can be sure such
rules will always reward the worst finishing teams
ahead of higher finishing teams albeit some lottery
system remains in place to prevent bottom feeders
from deliberately "tanking" to get the first overall pick
Whether they change the lottery rules from the
present one where only the bottom 4 have a chance for
the #1 overall is up to the new CBA ...

2. DISCARD the ENTRY DRAFT alltogether --making it a free-for-all
to just sign eligible entrants to the NHL --SUBJECT to CAP ROOM
availability to teams--and to a "harder" rookie salary+ bonus CAP
as is a likely owner demand---in this scenario CROSBY would be up for
to all teams with CAP ROOM and willing to pay him the max. allowable
to rookies under the NEW CBA.......thus some current "big payroll"
NHL teams may be CAPPED OUT already and not able to bid for him...
The problem with this is that HE could still choose to join what he
considers a playoff contender --if such team had CAP ROOM and
avoid the bottom feeder teams that are the worst in the League---
this is no way to improve the lot of such teams that need more
talent infusion and marketing help (ie. a "star" ) to sell tickets...
The Entry Draft solves this problem by rewarding the treams that
need such talentinfusion with chance to pick it over before the better
teams draft OR to trade the draft slot for current immediate veteran
help and/or greater quantity of picks...IT isvhard to believe that the
NEW CBA will scrap such a help to the lesser teams in the league --but
one does not know for sure ...

The one thing you can bet on is that there will be NO SPECIAL CROSBY
alone draft with ALL teams getting an equal lottery % chance at him...

akhorahil

Raising the Draft Age

I don't believe the NHL could legally raise the minimum draft age. They initially lowered the age from 20 because a prospect (I think Bob Carpenter, but I could be wrong) sued on the grounds of draft age being >18 violated US right-to-work laws. If that's the case, it couldn't legally be raised. As a side note, that precedent is why I believe the NFL's draft age will eventually be lowered if anyone challenges it (Clarett or whoever).

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
HABS-65 said:

No, he speculated. He speculated because there is no guarantee there is going to be a lock out, or that if there is a lock out it will be for long, or that it will wipe out the 2005 draft, and many other things people are taking for granted about an event that has not and may not ever occur.

Remax

Sep 24, 2003
Canada
Florida Getting 1st Pick Two More Years

Ovechkin, Horton, Crosby

That would be pretty good in a few years

Anfernic

Feb 19, 2003
Quebec city
Visit site
All Star United said:
I think is one good thing that could come out of the lockout.

I'am agree 18 is too young and it's not good for junior team to a lost a players that you could build your team around. I think of Pierre-Marc Bouchard last year

Volchenkov

Feb 1, 2003
elibenporat.blogspot.com
Naah, there will probably be some conspiracy to make him get drafted in NY, just to rejuvenate the NY hockey market since its the most important one in hockey.

*Ignore the sarcasm. It came from hearing that James was going to the NY Underwear in some sort of NBA conspiracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad