Speculation: All Tavares talk here

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Since a few people have heard things, I figured we'd have a separate thread on this topic so it doesn't take over the other threads. Let's not take this to the main board though guys as it's just rumors and speculation right now so we don't need to bring the all the crap from the main board over to our board. I haven't heard anything from my source, but he's not around the team as much during the offseason so I wouldn't expect to.

EDIT: Also, our threads tend to wander off track into food, jokes, etc.. quickly, especially in the offseason. Let's try to keep this one on track.

There are rumors out of the Islanders camp that Tavares loves the direction of the team in Raleigh and would be willing to re-sign were he to be traded there.

This can't get off this board but word around the Org is that Francis has already spoken to Greenberg about the possibility of adding a "huge $70+ million contract". Doubt Skinner or Faulk could command that much. Maybe there is a connection here?

I'm hearing the same thing.

I can't say from where.

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I heard he doesn't like the media spotlight. Raleigh should be like an oasis for him in that regard.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
A lot of us wondered why RF didn't pull the trigger on the Duchene deal when it seemed an obvious fit for everyone. Maybe this is why?

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
You didn't hear it from me, but JT is a HUGE fan of the pulled pork. HUGE. This is coming from my father’s brother’s nephew’s cousin’s former roommate.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
You didn't hear it from me, but JT is a HUGE fan of the pulled pork. HUGE. This is coming from my father’s brother’s nephew’s cousin’s former roommate.

What does that make us? Absolutely nothing.

Tavares is 6'0" stickpucker.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/new...canadiens-islanders/e8s3pmr6gvdk1r3vv3hhyfxj9

Here's John Tavares' dilemma: In the eight seasons and counting since the Islanders drafted him first overall, he's served dutifully as the franchise's face and captain, quickly realizing the preordained NHL stardom cast upon him at 17. It's the Islanders who haven't always held up their end of the bargain. And while Tavares insists that doesn't change his desire to remain in Brooklyn (or Long Island, or Belmont, or wherever the team winds up next), he so yearns for a Stanley Cup.

The rest of the NHL has been watching.

Hmmm

Grantianity

Oct 2, 2016
Well, I didn't expect to see speculation of this magnitude today when I did my daily lurking.

Any guesses on what a deal for Tavares would look like?

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Have actually been hearing some rumblings around the GTA that the canes could be right in the thick of things bidding against the leafs.

Last edited:

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
mods, you need to clean that up right there

cardiac canes is violating some rule, i'm sure of it

all our oots are deadly srs

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
His career really reminds me of Eric Staal's besides the fact that Eric has a Stanley Cup under his belt. He's a fantastic player, a #1C, and an all star. But he's not a big enough difference maker to carry a team to the playoffs every single season.

Is Taveres really going to be worth the Hanifin+3-4 really good prospects to get him at the deadline and is he then going to be worth the 8 year, 11-12M a season contract he's going to get? He's a phenomenal player, but I don't think he's a McDavid or Crosby type guy that's worth those numbers. His contract in my prediction is gonna be what we thought of Staal's 9M contract, which I think most of us thought Staal didn't bring that much value to the table to what his contract was worth.

It would be crazy if we acquired him. I'd most likely be pumped if we got him. He would be a phenomanal 1C for this team. But the assets and the salary needed to get him could really hurt us too depending how things play out.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Wonder if he would be a deadline move or if Francis would try to pull the trigger before the season

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Wonder if he would be a deadline move or if Francis would try to pull the trigger before the season

One thing my source has told me is that if the Canes are in the hunt at the deadline, RF has the green light to add, but he only wants to add a guy that will be around for a while. So if he adds a guy like Tavares, it stands to reason that he intends to re-sign him.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
One thing my source has told me is that if the Canes are in the hunt at the deadline, RF has the green light to add, but he only wants to add a guy that will be around for a while. So if he adds a guy like Tavares, it stands to reason that he intends to re-sign him.

There is exactly zero chance that we would even consider trading for Tavares without an extension already negotiated. But with an extension negotiated, I think Francis would be entirely willing to pull the trigger on a Hanifin+ blockbuster.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
So is this similar to that Gary Roberts as coach thread or are these legitimate rumblings you guys have heard? I can't tell anymore haha

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
There is exactly zero chance that we would even consider trading for Tavares without an extension already negotiated. But with an extension negotiated, I think Francis would be entirely willing to pull the trigger on a Hanifin+ blockbuster.

Agree, which is why the rumor of Francis talking to Greenberg about a huge salary add is so exciting.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
His career really reminds me of Eric Staal's besides the fact that Eric has a Stanley Cup under his belt. He's a fantastic player, a #1C, and an all star. But he's not a big enough difference maker to carry a team to the playoffs every single season.

Tavares can carry a team to the playoffs. Just not a bad team.

The Canes have the table set for a superstar to come in and make them a cup contender. Whether that's something crazy like Tavares, or someone/s from the inside like Aho, Lindholm, Necas, or whoever.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Ok guys let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Yes, usually where there's smoke there's fire, and yes, there is DEFINITELY smoke. But it sounds like these are just the beginning of negotiations right now, there's plenty of places for this to fall apart.

For now let's be cautiously optimistic. No need to go out and buy the Tavares jersey yet.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I would do Rask + Hanifin and a first, plus whatever prospects (save Bean) it would take to top off a package. I think that's fair. It would hurt our depth right now since we'd almost be forced to have two rookies in the D lineup, but I think we'd be good enough to make the playoffs now and be in really nice shape a couple years down the road when guys like Bean, Gauthier, Kuokkanen, etc. are ready to make the jump.

Teravainen-Tavares-Williams
Aho-Staal-Lindholm
Skinner-Ryan-Stempniak
McGinn-Kruger-Nordstrom

Slavin-Faulk
Fleury-Pesce
Dahlbeck-TVR

Ok guys let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Yes, usually where there's smoke there's fire, and yes, there is DEFINITELY smoke. But it sounds like these are just the beginning of negotiations right now, there's plenty of places for this to fall apart.

For now let's be cautiously optimistic. No need to go out and buy the Tavares jersey yet.

I hear you. At the same time, it's hard not to get excited. There's too talk around this for it to not be coming from somewhere legitimate. I just don't want RF selling the farm for one player.

Last edited:

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Boom Boom weren't you the one that set fire that Faulker wanted out of Carolina? I'm not buying this Taveres talk.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Boom Boom weren't you the one that set fire that Faulker wanted out of Carolina? I'm not buying this Taveres talk.

I understand. This is different. While I started this thread, as shown in the OP, I am not the genesis of the information. I just opened the thread,but it was 3 other posters that had the insider info that drove it. In fact, I've even stated I haven't heard much from my source.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->