All Tampa Bay Lightning TV network

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
They should keep their color guy that does their games away from that channel. He's by far the worst I've ever heard.

It's a nice idea, though.

RTWAP*

Good idea.

I'd subscribe to a Sens Channel. Then again, I'm not normal *twitch* *twitch* :D

Jazz

Although similar plans for a single-team station by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers fell apart last year, the Lightning and Bright House are hopeful hockey will succeed where football failed.

:eek:

Wow - I'm glad that the hockey following is strong enough that there is talk of this being viable...

Where does hockey stand compared to other sports in the Tampa-St.Petersburg area?

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I think the day will come where some of the bigger teams (most Canadian teams, Flyers, Red Wings, etc...) will have their in house television networks. Whether they are on television, or the internet (especially with improved internet connections around the western world), I think there is a market for it.

Some soccer teams in Europe have their television stations accessible online (check out Manchester United's channel, www.mutv.com). I think its a great idea, providing a good way to market the product, earn sponsorship and subscription revenue, and keep fans in tuned to what's going on with the team.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Tricolore#20 said:
I think the day will come where some of the bigger teams (most Canadian teams, Flyers, Red Wings, etc...) will have their in house television network.
The Avs do (more or less) I think the Leafs do as well.

Of course the Lightning Network will fold and move to Winnipeg. :sarcasm:

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Upon its launch, the channel will instantly be traded to Montreal for a 3rd round pick.

Last edited:

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
Jazz said:
:eek:

Wow - I'm glad that the hockey following is strong enough that there is talk of this being viable...

Where does hockey stand compared to other sports in the Tampa-St.Petersburg area?

I would say probably

1a. Florida Gators
1b. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
2. Tampa Bay Lightning

The Lightning will always be behind the Bucs but there is alot more interest than people think.

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Tricolore#20 said:
I think the day will come where some of the bigger teams (most Canadian teams, Flyers, Red Wings, etc...) will have their in house television networks. Whether they are on television, or the internet (especially with improved internet connections around the western world), I think there is a market for it.
The Leafs have had their own cable channel for a couple of years right now.

This year, they will broadcast 13 Leaf games exclusively (for the first time providing NHL coverage).

http://www.mapleleafs.com/tv/index.asp

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
What are they going to air, besides 8 hours of paid programming during the overnights? The Lightning don't have a lot of history, don't have any retired all-time greats to do bios on, and there just isn't a lot of stuff to work with. If this were to come to fruition, I can't imagine there's going to be a lot of Lightning-specific content; even YES has chunks of their air time on non-Yankee programming: Nets games, college football, Mike and the Mad Dog.

It's either going to be a Lightning network by name or really, really bad like the Atlanta Falcons network is (which has the production values of public access cable). Or both.

This isn't a viable network in my eyes.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Dr Love said:
What are they going to air, besides 8 hours of paid programming during the overnights? The Lightning don't have a lot of history, don't have any retired all-time greats to do bios on, and there just isn't a lot of stuff to work with. If this were to come to fruition, I can't imagine there's going to be a lot of Lightning-specific content; even YES has chunks of their air time on non-Yankee programming: Nets games, college football, Mike and the Mad Dog.

It's either going to be a Lightning network by name or really, really bad like the Atlanta Falcons network is (which has the production values of public access cable). Or both.

This isn't a viable network in my eyes.
Altitude has the Avs, Nuggets and some other local teams. They still air alot of psuedosports an filler (like early ESPN).

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Breck Av said:
And concerts, crappy movie shows (Talking Pictures), and the incredible Bill Owens Show.
Does Owens term limits aply to this show too?

The bright side with a hockey net is they might fill time with the first round of the college hockey tourney.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
go kim johnsson 514 said:
So Altitude isn't just sports?
It's sports first, but they do some other things to fill time. Owen's Sports Connection is nominaly sports.

On thing that is nice about the free time, they typicaly rerun every Avs game a couple of times overnight.

Last edited:

Breck Av

Jan 11, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
Hasbro said:
Does Owens term limits aply to this show too?

The bright side with a hockey net is they might fill time with the first round of the college hockey tourney.
Like Altitude did with the NCAA hockey regionals earlier this year, which was great considering DU and CC were obviously heavily involved. You already knew that, of course :) .

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Breck Av said:
Like Altitude did with the NCAA hockey regionals earlier this year, which was great considering DU and CC were obviously heavily involved. You already knew that, of course :) .
If by heavily involved you mean kicking CC's and NoDak's butt and getting their butt kicked by DU, yes I am aware. :yo:

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
Hasbro said:
Altitude has the Avs, Nuggets and some other local teams. They still air alot of psuedosports an filler (like early ESPN).
That would work for a Lightning network, like I said YES carries Nets games. But there's one major problem:

There's no NBA team in Tampa. Maybe they could carry some D-Rays games, they'd almost have to, but they'd be hurting for programming.

gobolt7

Sep 24, 2003
Florida.
Dr Love said:
That would work for a Lightning network, like I said YES carries Nets games. But there's one major problem:

There's no NBA team in Tampa. Maybe they could carry some D-Rays games, they'd almost have to, but they'd be hurting for programming.

It could be done, IMO. The D-Rays games could be an option to fill time during the summer, however that would probobly not help their ratings to much. :D Another option would be to put high school sports on their to fill time, that has grown in popularity around here in the past couple years.

As a fairly new subscriber to direct TV, I m not really familiar with how these stations handle their programming. Do they show any "encore" games?

Transported Upstater

Boltsfan2029 said:
Wouldn't they insist on Lecavalier being part of the package? :sarcasm:

And then Tampa Bay would insist that Guillame Latendresse be sent south, and the city of Montreal would revolt :D

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
gobolt7 said:
As a fairly new subscriber to direct TV, I m not really familiar with how these stations handle their programming. Do they show any "encore" games?
They do in the afternoon, but because it's no-cost filler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad