Half-Assed GDT: All-Star weekend 24th - 26th January 2020 @ St. Louis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I dont think the women could compete with men at the pro level but that doesnt matter. They can still play and I found it to be pretty entertaining. I'd like for them to have the ability to actually make some real money playing hockey instead of the clown circus they go through.

On a side note, I dont watch hockey outside of Blues related or elite talent. So for the women's game to get my attention.....they have talent.

They do have talent. It's fun watching them but there is no way possible they can compete in the same league as men.

Putting aside your repetitive use of masculine pronouns to describe Noora Räty ... I agree that women hockey players as a collective would not be able to compete physically especially with collective men of the same or immediately lower age groups. That does not, however, diminish their skill levels nor the entertainment value of women's hockey for me. It simply takes an open mind & an adjustment in expectations for those used to watching the speed & strength of NHL players. I gained that perspective by following minor pro & junior men's hockey for several years before being introduced to the women's game. I can easily enjoy hockey at all levels played by any gender, because I see the same passion for the game throughout.

Didn't look masculine to me.

That is from 6 years ago.

Bet the same thing happens today. Didn't the womens soccer team just get their shit kicked in by high school boys recently? The best women in the world losing to 15 year olds.

FC Dallas under-15 boys squad beat the U.S. Women's National Team in a scrimmage

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Looks like women could really beat men in hockey. I was wrong.
And all it took was me sending your previous posts in this thread to the Enterprise Center locker room. My boys were more than happy to prove you wrong. It all pays the same in an ASG. :cool:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Was @JMCx4 saying Noora Räty is masculine? Or what? Maybe language barrier? idk
It does, indeed, appear to be a language barrier. No disrespect intended ...
... I can name one women who has compete in men's league what I know. Noora Räty who was Finland team women's gaoltender, he played in Mestis one level lower than finnish Liiga (1st league). That is great complishing and I'll respect him, but saying womens can compete vs. men in ice hockey is bit crazy and not realistic. Sorry. ...

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
OK. Yeah, my bad those grammar mistakes. Btw Räty is just 165cm tall goaltender and has sone small success in men league. Tho itse just finnish 2ND highest league.

GoBluz24

Established 1967
Apr 8, 2012
so ill near st lou
I expected to enjoy this more than the actual All Star "Game" and last night didn't disappoint. As usual, though, the afterparty at OB Clark's was more noteworthy than what happened on the ice. I did think that most of the events were fun and the Shooting Stars event was actually better than I was expecting.

My wife and 18 year old each got about 15 autographs at the Red Carpet event while I was stuck at work. The wife later bumped into CuJo outside Section 101 during the festivities and got his autograph on her new All Star Jersey, but the usher that offered to take their picture so she didn't have to do a selfie managed to only get a picture of their feet. :eek:

We went upstairs to the club level after the game like we always do to wait out the traffic, but the Bud Light Lounge was closed. Still, we ran into Brian Lawton coming out of the NHL Network Suite and got to talk to him for a few minutes. Not long after, (Blues President) Chris Zimmerman and his family came by. They were really friendly and I thanked him for all he's done to put us back on the map in St. Louis. When I was shaking his hand, I noticed he had his Championship Ring on and I mentioned to my son that it looked a lot better in person than the $100 Chinese knock-off I bought him. Chris proceeded to let my son try on his ring and his wife let my wife try on her ring and we got a bunch of pictures. Great, great family. Maroon walked by a few minutes after that and big timed everyone by completely ignoring everyone that was welcoming him back. Finally, I lost out on my opportunity to confirm my stalker status and get my picture with Jackie Redmond - she walked out the opposite direction when she came out of the NHL Network suite.

After leaving downtown, we decided to take run by OB Clark's to see if anyone showed up there. The lot had a couple of spots so I wasn't hopeful. When I got inside, though, you could hardly move. I had to ask Frank Cusamano move out of my way so I could get past and the crowd there didn't disappoint. I got to see Doug Weight and got to talk to Brett Hull, Garth Butcher, CuJo, Jon Hamm, Joe Buck and (finally) Keith Tkachuk. I got an Alumni Game replica Demitra jersey the summer after he wore one for the 2nd period of the Alumni Game before the Winter Classic and I had just never run into him since then. I vowed when I bought the jersey that, despite being white and a great jersey for autographs, the only player I would ever let sign it was Big Walt. Mission accomplished and I think he was genuinely touched with my choice of jersey and why it was still clean.

I hope tonight is fun, but last night is going to be hard to top. Unless, of course, I finally get that snap with Jackie Redmond. ;)

Just for you Mook. Taken game 3 (1st home game) of Stanley Cup Finals.

20190601_192953.jpg

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
OK. Yeah, my bad those grammar mistakes. Btw Räty is just 165cm tall goaltender and has sone small success in men league. Tho itse just finnish 2ND highest league.
We only have a handful of past examples in North America on which to base measurable arguments regarding the likelihood of future female success in men's pro hockey. These are the more noteworthy: (G) Manon Rhéaume for one preseason NHL game back in 1992; (D) Erin Whitten played some games in the Central Hockey League, ECHL, then semi-pro Colonial Hockey League between 1993 & 1996; U.S. Olympic (D) Angela Ruggiero played one game in front of her goalie brother Bill for the Tulsa Oilers of the Central in 2005; and Canadian Olympian (G) Shannon Szabados played parts of four seasons (2013-17) in the Southern Pro Hockey League. Honorable mention to: Molly McMaster, a colon cancer survivor who was signed as a fund-raising vehicle to play defense for one game with each of the 14 teams in the United Hockey League in March 2006; and U.S. Olympian (F) Kendall Coyne Schofield played for a Chicago-area team in a men's mixed pro-amateur league in Summer 2018.

IMO, those examples are not enough alone to make claims of equality nor inequality of women playing against men in pro hockey. I'd just like to see talented women get more meaningful & sustained opportunities to show what they can accomplish as pro players, whether in all-female leagues or in mixed leagues. Leave their fate in their own hands.

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
They do have talent. It's fun watching them but there is no way possible they can compete in the same league as men.

Didn't look masculine to me.

Bet the same thing happens today. Didn't the womens soccer team just get their **** kicked in by high school boys recently? The best women in the world losing to 15 year olds.

FC Dallas under-15 boys squad beat the U.S. Women's National Team in a scrimmage

Big difference between a MLS academy team and random high school teams which the original women's hockey article was about.

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
Do you really think losing to 15 year old CHILDREN can be justified while you're claiming they can play with MEN?

I'm not claiming that a womans hockey team can compete with men, but "children" is a bit of an exaggeration. In the picture of the article you linked shows the "child" as taller than the women's player. I'd imagine that isn't an outlier being that a significant portion of a MLS u15 academy team would be closer to physically mature man than not, and anyone who isn't would be extremely talented. It's just not a good comparison.

Will women ever be able to compete against men in a physical sport? Probably not as a a whole, but that does not mean there isn't value on the womans side of things. For a large portion of civilization, women were not allowed to compete or even take part in "society." Its silly to think that successive generations wouldn't improve upon one another to the point where a portion of women could compete at a high level. There is value in women's competition. The women playing now are going to be stepping stones for those that love the game in the future. Even if you or I don't enjoy the viewing experience, there is at least one little girl who saw women playing at the NHL allstar game and thought to herself "I want to do that too."

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
while the game was boring and stupid mostly, i think the city, team and arena put on a great show. i also think pat kane showed alot of class the way he handled the fun booing going his way. i would be thrilled to see blues vs hawks in round 1.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I do not normally watch the ASG, but I did this time, only because it was in St. Louis. I have to say, it made me proud to b a Blues fan. The inclusion of the Women's hockey, (I have two neices that play!), and Laila's introduction were awesome. Go Blues!!!

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I have a daughter, but I have little to no interest in watching women’s ice hockey. She plays soccer, but really has no interest in watching women’s soccer on TV.

Bottom line is there isn’t enough of a market for it. And I am not a fan of subsidizing it just to create a fake sense of equality. We can talk about skill and everything else, but if they had the ability to play against professional men, they would.

All professional teams want to win. If any of the woman could play the men’s game (physicality) then team would do it. It is a long season and men brake down. Fact that only time they have been included was more as a gimmick, tells us what we need to know.

There is a reason the women’s soccer league folded and the WNBA is subsidized by the NBA. There is not enough interest.

men and women can be equal without being the same. Accepting the physical and mental gifts is far more important the pretending we are all the same.

Punished ROR

a hero denied by hortons
Jul 3, 2006
Not a major gripe because ASGs are for the kids etc., but I always think it’s a little disappointing when the hometown team keeps their stars together on one line all game. Would be fun to split them up and see them play with the other stars around the league. Plus it spreads out the hometown guys so the crowd has something to cheer for, rather than waiting for their guys’ line to take the ice again.

Maybe I’m alone in that, though.

Reactions: JMCx4 and DoubleK81

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I have a daughter, but I have little to no interest in watching women’s ice hockey. She plays soccer, but really has no interest in watching women’s soccer on TV.

Bottom line is there isn’t enough of a market for it. And I am not a fan of subsidizing it just to create a fake sense of equality. We can talk about skill and everything else, but if they had the ability to play against professional men, they would.

All professional teams want to win. If any of the woman could play the men’s game (physicality) then team would do it. It is a long season and men brake down. Fact that only time they have been included was more as a gimmick, tells us what we need to know.

There is a reason the women’s soccer league folded and the WNBA is subsidized by the NBA. There is not enough interest.

men and women can be equal without being the same. Accepting the physical and mental gifts is far more important the pretending we are all the same.

Bolded: I can't agree more.

Welcome to Finland were you can see everybody are equal. At this point it has turned around and womens are leading our country. Which is right and equal direction if you aren't familiar about women's right and equal in Finldand, I highly recommend to read it.

Women in Finland - Wikipedia

Its imo just blind stupidity to say women could compete vs. men in sport where their physicality is limited vs. men. There is sport competition that men can't ever win women, 'cus of women are more fitting physicality for that.(gymnastic/figure skating for example) And people don't lose their shit that men can't compete in those sport at same level.

Last edited:

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
is it me or does the central always suck since they switched it to this format?
Yes! They’ve gotten blown out like this every time. Having “I’ve never defended once in my life Kane” and his anti clutch clone Seguin going every year isn’t helping.

Oh and this is somehow hellebuck’s 2nd or 3rd ASG in a row?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad