WJC: All-star team predictions

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
Inspired by the WJC MVP thread.

Still semis, bronze game and 2 periods of gold medal game to play, but who are your favourites for the All-star team at this point?

Goaltender
Ilya Samsonov RUS *

Defensemen
Thomas Chabot CAN *
Jonas Siegentahler SUI

Forwards
Alexander Nylander SWE
Kirill Kaprizov RUS *†
Clayton Keller USA

* Best Goalie/Defensemen/Forward winners
† MVP

Outside looking in:

Goaltender
Felix Sandström SWE

Defense
Oliver Kylington SWE
Yegor Rykov RUS

Forwards
Colin White USA
Dylan Strome CAN
Joel Eriksson Ek SWE

I believe the goalie spot is most up in the air. Sandström has been stable and is not too far behind Samsonov, who is by far the most talented goalie in the WJC. The USA goalies have split the games evenly, but if Parsons crushes the semis I can see him get the nod. I cannot imagine that Ingram makes the all-star team.

For defence, Chabot is quite ahead of the competition with his QF performance. I think Siegenthaler was carrying much of Switzerland and gets selected even though his team didn't make it past the QF. Kylington is flashy and have played better every game which could garner consideration from the media if Sweden reaches the gold medal game. Rykov is leading defensemen in points which will always come into consideration (see Gustaf Forsling two years ago).

Kaprizov is currently my MVP of the tournament. JEE has probably been Sweden's best player so far, but with Nylander playing on the same line and leading the tournament in scoring he will get the nod. Strome would require quite the performance in the semis, and likely have to finish top-2 in scoring to get selected at this point.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
My Guess right now:

Nylander, Keller, Kaprizov
Chabot, Siegenthaler
Samsonov

In the Running: Barzal, Strome, Vorobyov, Eriksson Ek, Grundstrom, Greenway, Polunin, Hischier, Rykov

Goalie is completely up for grabs, JvP was good for the Swiss not sure it was quite good enough with them not making the SF. Sandstrom could still get it. American and Canadaian goalies split the round robin with the American goalies being better. Parsons could certainly get it if he`s their goalie moving forward. Ingra will have to be fairly dominant I think.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
We picked the same :laugh:

I didn't list White as in the running but I guess with a good SF/medal game he could be. Barzal was right on the edge for me but he didn't play well today

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
Huska might be worth mentioning for SVK, as all star goaltender.

Jaroslav Janus was named to the media all stars when we finished 4th in 2009, and Marek Svatos (RIP) was an all star for us in 2002 despite SVK finishing eigth.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Nylander, Hischier, Kaprizov
Chabot, Siegenthaler
Samsonov

I think you guys pretty much have it down. The only change I made was swapping Hischier in for Keller, but that could really have gone either way.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Hischier and Siegenthaler both played really well but they wont put two guys on from a team that finished 4th in their pool, then lost in the quarters. They just wont.

A lot will be decided in the next 4 games obviously. For the US, I bet Greenway gets some consideration. Feels like he's building a little momentum and people are talking about him.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Hischier and Siegenthaler both played really well but they wont put two guys on from a team that finished 4th in their pool, then lost in the quarters. They just wont.

A lot will be decided in the next 4 games obviously. For the US, I bet Greenway gets some consideration. Feels like he's building a little momentum and people are talking about him.

Yes, you're right. And had we not made these predictions at a point where Switzerland seems like a current team, the picks would probably be reflective of that. I guess these are "as you see it now" selections.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Sandstrom over Samsonov is ridiculous and the inconsistency between the All-Star Team and the awards makes no sense.

Different people vote on them so it tends to happen. In the past the best forward and/or best defenseman have not been named to the all star team.

I agree that I don't understand how Sandstrom got best goalie over Samsonov though. It was fairly close entering the knockout round. Samsonov was easily the best goalie in the knockout and medal rounds. That should have been an easy decision for both groups of voters.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Different people vote on them so it tends to happen. In the past the best forward and/or best defenseman have not been named to the all star team.

I agree that I don't understand how Sandstrom got best goalie over Samsonov though. It was fairly close entering the knockout round. Samsonov was easily the best goalie in the knockout and medal rounds. That should have been an easy decision for both groups of voters.

Not the first time I've seen this discrepancy, due to different people voting, but how Sandstrom actually won is beyond me.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
The one thing I was unsure of was the second Dman, but McAvoy stepped up with a monster game today and really earned this spot.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
All-star team announced:

Nylander -- Keller -- Kaprizov
Chabot -- McAvoy
Samsonov

Players of tournament:

Fwd: Kaprizov
Dman: Chabot
Goalie: Sandström

LOLOLOL Samsonov snubbed. Sandstrom had a good tournament buy Samsonov was amazing. He out-dueled Sandstrom one on one stopping 38 of 39 shots to take the Bronze as well while Sandstrom stopped 24 of 26. Makes no sense at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad