WJC: All-star team & Awards

Vijo Morganstein

Nov 29, 2019
Care to explain how the Russian team didn’t even nominate Romanov as one of their top three players of the tournament as chosen by them. Lol.
Might want to check their nominations last year too...where he won best defenseman. They didn't last year either.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Hoglander was the most dominant and dangerous forward in the tournament. But the marginal call that sidelined him was his undoing.
Hoglander was consistently good and definitely was a top candidate for MVP. However, there was nothing marginal about that call. There were a number of reckless and outright dangerous hits in this tournament and that was definitely among them.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
That's insane ! Was it a good call, you think ?

Hard to tell IMO. It was definitely heading out but if it hit the part of the camera that extends over the ice surface first then it's a good call because there's an exception in the rules for hitting any structure over the playing surface. If it cleared the glass first and then hit a part of the camera that was outside of the ice surface then it's not a good call.

The best replay I've seen is from camera itself which means you can't really get a conclusive look. If I had to say one way or the other I would say the puck probably cleared the glass first and it was a bad call.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yeah, that's my one reservation about that. Lafreniere was obviously the *best* player, but he missed two crucial games that could have drastically altered the fortunes of Canada depending on the result of them.

It would be similar to naming someone the Hart winner who only played 60 games in a season.

What cruicial games he did miss? :D Against Germany and Czechs? Played all the important games against USA (injured against Russia) and all the playoff games.

Reactions: mazmin

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Sandin is a give away machine typical leafs defenseman high offense no defense. Romonov does it all thats the difference.

Was waiting for this narrative to creep out from the casuals. Fyi, the book on him when he was drafted was he is a two-way D with more D than O. And if you've watched him play for any length of time you'd know that's true. He was being played 30+ minutes a game in the AHL playoffs as an 18 year old which is unheard of, he's solid defensively.

The difference between him and Romanov is Romanov is aggressive, which makes him exciting; lots of emotion, big hits, he's a fantastic player.

LFCTML

Nov 29, 2019
Wasn't Sandin on for like 2 ES goals against the whole tourny?

Feel like this is your Habs bias talking here.
I think only one 5-on-5... He was pretty outstanding defensively. Arguably more than Romanov.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Am I a terrible homer by saying I wouldn’t want the Coyotes to trade Soderstrom for either Romanov or Sandin? Just talking long term, not best d in this tournament.

I don't think you are crazy, no. He was excellent. Only difference is Romanov and Sandin have been very good for several years now. I don't follow Soderstrom closely enough to know if this is how good he normally looks or if it's just a small sample size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad