WJC: All-star team & Awards

Thierry

May 30, 2006
Montreal
Puck was going out of play from the D zone for Canada, would have been delay of game late in the third. Hits a camera mounted on the class, and they rule the camera is in play so no penalty.

The camera attached the the glass at centre ice got hit by Dudas with like a minute and a half to go and there was no penalty called. Begin outrage and Russian meltdown.

That's insane ! Was it a good call, you think ?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
A very strong group of RUS forwards split votes. Denisenko, Marchenko, Dorofyev, Khovanov, among others, all looked strong, skilled, and good. Sokolov was a handful, also. Also liked Zamula, a lot.

Good to see Hofer step up.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I think Sandin or Hayton should have gotten MVP over Laf. Playing in all/most of the games matters. Being clutch and scoring timely goals also matters. Laf is obviously the best player, but idk if most valuable.

Reactions: McNurse

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think Sandin or Hayton should have gotten MVP over Laf. Playing in all/most of the games matters. Being clutch and scoring timely goals also matters. Laf is obviously the best player, but idk if most valuable.

Yeah, that's my one reservation about that. Lafreniere was obviously the *best* player, but he missed two crucial games that could have drastically altered the fortunes of Canada depending on the result of them.

It would be similar to naming someone the Hart winner who only played 60 games in a season.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
My only request is if you have to get him, it's with SJ's pick for the lols

It would be kind of funny - but they’ve won a few lately.

I think the Senators can take care of their own business. Young teams often flag down the stretch and we rely a lot on our young guys to be competitive.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Yeah, I would probably agree with this.

If he had come up huge in the final, he’d have a better case.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Yeah, that's my one reservation about that. Lafreniere was obviously the *best* player, but he missed two crucial games that could have drastically altered the fortunes of Canada depending on the result of them.

It would be similar to naming someone the Hart winner who only played 60 games in a season.

That's very fair.

Another comparable could be Pronger in 2007 for the Conn Smythe. I've long believed he ended his chance of winning it by being suspended for 2 games that Anaheim ended up winning. If they had lost those games, they may have ended up losing to Detroit, or maybe given Ottawa some momentum to carry on and win the Finals.

Suspension is a little different than missing a game because of an injury, so there is that consideration, but you still need your team to win without you.

Not saying he isn't deserving, but I think you have a valid argument for why someone else might have been more deserving.

McNurse

Sep 2, 2015
Well earned.

Best player at the tournament.
He looked incredible in a lot of games but he looked borderline lethargic in the game against Finland and even Russia. When I watched his game against Slovakia I was like holy shit this guy is everywhere’s at all time, but the last two games he kind of disappointed me

Reactions: Matte99

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Best defenseman Sandin...Romanov got robbed deserved it more imo, he was the winner for me.

Can you make a case why? I watched every game this year and I don't think any player played better overall than Sandin. He was essentially Romanov but with a worse team around him, and with an incredible offensive side. They were the best 2 D bar none, but the right decision was made.

Ehh 10 points and only on for 1 goal against 5v5 the whole tourny? He was pretty good

Agreed. He looked better offensively than I thought he was projected to be. Interested to see if he gets NHL time soon.

Defensively he blew sandin away. Offensively sandin was better but not by much. Was defintely a toss up.

Blew him away how? Are you basing this on one play where Sandin was put in an awful situation at the end of the shift? Also, what's your argument for "better but not by much" offensively?

Sandin - 3g, 7a in 7GP
Romanov - 1g, 5a in 7GP

2+2 is not a small gap in 7GP.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC

I agree that Hayton would have been a great choice for MVP.

He outscored Lafreniere and scored a huge goal in the gold medal game playing with one good arm.

Got to think the helmet incident hurt Hayton in the voting, at least he was voted as a Top 3 Forward in the tournament, and made the Tournament all-star team.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Can you make a case why? I watched every game this year and I don't think any player played better overall than Sandin. He was essentially Romanov but with a worse team around him, and with an incredible offensive side. They were the best 2 D bar none, but the right decision was made.

Agreed. He looked better offensively than I thought he was projected to be. Interested to see if he gets NHL time soon.

Blew him away how? Are you basing this on one play where Sandin was put in an awful situation at the end of the shift? Also, what's your argument for "better but not by much" offensively?

Sandin - 3g, 7a in 7GP
Romanov - 1g, 5a in 7GP

2+2 is not a small gap in 7GP.

I watched all Sweden games too and I didn't think Sandin was better than the guy he was paired with for the most part. Almost all of his points came on the PP playing with Fagemo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad