WJC: All-Star & MVP

Monaakko

Oct 8, 2011
Finland
Honestly, there wasn't really any one player that stood out in a noticeable way. Goaltending was good across the board, scoring for forwards was very even and not particularly high compared to previous years. Also the quality of the defences was higher than usual although apart from Romanov it wasn't reflected in unusually big offensive numbers.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Except when that time his team trailed by 4 goals and he put it on his back
.. right?

Are you also aware that he lead he tournament in points? I guess that doesnt count?

I mean take away his four points game and hes still PPG.

Think you need thicker glasses

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Brännström had a good start to the tournament but ended up trying too hard, just like last year. Definitely doesn't deserve to be on the all-star team IMO.

Reactions: CLW

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Slepets was amazing for Russia

He's a very promising player, too bad he couldn't come up with some goals vs. the US, he had several chances. He has the talent and determination to become an excellent player on the interntional stage.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Strange tournament.

I don’t think any player really stood out.

Wasn’t wowed by anyone.

Reactions: 57special

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
As a Habs fan, I would have given MVP to Luukkonen. Romanov would have been a strong candidate if they had gotten to the Gold Medal Game I think. Still happy with the tournament for Poehling and I think he did better than a lot of us expected. Ylonen, Primeau also has strong tournaments.

Prins Filip

Jun 3, 2010
Filippines
All the best players were from the group that started in Vancouver. I wonder if any of the IIHF directorate members cared to watch any of the games held in Victoria. Especially when three biggest countries and chairman’s beloved Switzerland all played in Vancouver.

Reactions: CLW

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Alright Mea culpa I didn't check the last game stats before saying that.

I also agree with the sentiment that Poehling is one of the weakest MVPs in recent history, but to say he was bad is a huge stretch. Tikhonov is probably the worst one in recent memory.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Strange tournament.

I don’t think any player really stood out.

Wasn’t wowed by anyone.
Yeah, every star player played a rough tournament IMO. Hughes brother didn't produce, Glass got kicked out early, Tolvanen did nothing in the WJC once again, Kakko was a bit underwhelming production wise, Necas and Zadina were poopie, Suzuki didn't get many opportunities, Sweden had no forward talent (Lundestrom maybe ?)

The best individual efforts were by Poehling, Romanov, every damn goalie in the tournament, Denisenko... I guess Frost was producing enough but didn't get to do it either.

Hopefully next year is better with Romanov, Lafrnière, Hayton, Smith, Denisenko, Farabee, Lundell, Wahlstrom, Podkolzin, Morozov, Marchenko, Pekar, Lauko, Jenik, etc. Theres a lot of players coming back that will most likely be stars on the offense, especially Podkolzin, Lafreniere, Denisenko and the americans. Add to that guys like Cozens, Dach, Wise, Holtz, Raymond, etc..

It's going to be filled with talent.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I actually thought it was a down year for star power before the tournament even started. I think the final results confirm that fact. Just think about the fact that the top guy drafted in the majority of the WJC pools was an underager... and then he got hurt and missed half the tourney.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad