All-Star Game selection

Who should be Carolina's All-Star selection?

• Total voters

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Wouldn't you take someone like Seth Jones over Subban?

Yes for sure. But NJ needs someone and no one is deserving at all really so whoever goes is taking the spot of someone who earned it. Figured that Subban filled the role of ‘undeserving star’ and then NJ is taken care of.

Id also be fine with Lundqvist not being there instead having one of the Nyi goalies but Lundy brings the star power and he’s having a decent year. Really Holtby would be the best choice but you know OV is going to be there and Carlson absolutely needs to be there too.

ClarkBolzano

Oct 12, 2018
Listen guys, let's send Svech. Simply to show all the hockey world that he is so much more than THE MOVE. He is getting so much flag from so many people because he dared to use his move twice. Let's send him to compete with the best of the best in this skills competition and I would love him to imbarass the super stars, so that he gets the respect finally that he deserves, even if he is not Canadiens or American.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
yPREnMy6_bigger.jpg
Sean Tierney‏ @ChartingHockey 14h14 hours ago

Do NOT let Svechnikov go near your goalie's right post.
https://www.chartinghockey.ca/shot-maps/
pic.twitter.com/dwHKCTvBdi
EMGIzQgWkAEUgEh.jpg

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Yes for sure. But NJ needs someone and no one is deserving at all really so whoever goes is taking the spot of someone who earned it. Figured that Subban filled the role of ‘undeserving star’ and then NJ is taken care of.

I thought of this, too, and I really like P.K. as a personality, but he's just having a gawd-awful season (2+3 in 33 games, zero PPP, minus-13), and rewarding him for that is really insulting to a lot of players. Looking at the Devils' roster, there really is no choice but to send Palmieri.

And I don't know if you looked at Korpisalo's stats, but his .908 sv. pct. puts him at No. 32 among qualifiers. Mackenzie Blackwood lost his job to Louis Domingue and he's at .910. Korpisalo in the All-Star game would also be a slap in the face, IMO. With Nyquist leading the team with 23 points in 34 games, there's really no choice for CLB outside of Jones.

The requirement of every team having a rep is going to kill our chances of getting more than two, but there have been many seasons that it's the only reason we got anyone.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I thought of this, too, and I really like P.K. as a personality, but he's just having a gawd-awful season (2+3 in 33 games, zero PPP, minus-13), and rewarding him for that is really insulting to a lot of players. Looking at the Devils' roster, there really is no choice but to send Palmieri.

And I don't know if you looked at Korpisalo's stats, but his .908 sv. pct. puts him at No. 32 among qualifiers. Mackenzie Blackwood lost his job to Louis Domingue and he's at .910. Korpisalo in the All-Star game would also be a slap in the face, IMO. With Nyquist leading the team with 23 points in 34 games, there's really no choice for CLB outside of Jones.

The requirement of every team having a rep is going to kill our chances of getting more than two, but there have been many seasons that it's the only reason we got anyone.

If we’re going by who actually deserves to go, this is the pool of players in the metro who should be eligible. I’m leaving off Aho because there’s just too many good forwards and you need to ppg to be considered. When he reaches that mark in the next game he can go back on the list.

Was - Kuzy, Carlson, Holtby
Nyi - Varlamov/Greiss
Car - Turbo, Svech, Hamilton
Pit - Malkin, Guentzel, Letang, Jarry (only 15 games though)
Phi - Konecny, Provorov
Nyr - Panarin
Clb - Jones
NJ - No rep

If we just took best of best regardless of team, this is how I would have it...

G - Holtby, Varlamov
F - Kuzy, Svech, Malkin, Konecny, Panarin, Guentzel
D - Carlson, Hamilton, Provorov/Jones/Letang
Alternate - TT

Last edited:
Reactions: Unsustainable

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
If we’re going by who actually deserves to go, this is the pool of players in the metro who should be eligible. I’m leaving off Aho because there’s just too many good forwards and you need to ppg to be considered. When he reaches that mark in the next game he can go back on the list.

Was - Kuzy, Carlson, Holtby
Nyi - Varlamov/Greiss
Car - Turbo, Svech, Hamilton
Pit - Malkin, Guentzel, Letang, Jarry (only 15 games though)
Phi - Konecny, Provorov
Nyr - Panarin
Clb - Jones
NJ - No rep

If we just took best of best regardless of team, this is how I would have it...

G - Holtby, Varlamov
F - Kuzy, Svech, Malkin, Konecny, Panarin, Guentzel
D - Carlson, Hamilton, Provorov/Jones/Letang
Alternate - TT

That best of the best isn't far off. Take Jones as the 3rd D, and then take out one of the forwards (not Panarin or Konecny) to replace with Palmieri and you have the roster.

So the forward missing out comes down to:
Malkin, Guentzel, Svech, Kuznetsov

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
If you’re not ppg as a forward you aren’t qualifying in my version of best on best. I’m drawing the line somewhere and that’s the line for right now to narrow it down

Ovechkin has more points than Kuzy and is 3rd in the league in goals. Kuznetsov has played 3 less games, because he did cocaine in the offseason. I doubt the league lets him in.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Ovechkin has more points than Kuzy and is 3rd in the league in goals. Kuznetsov has played 3 less games, because he did cocaine in the offseason. I doubt the league lets him in.

In not disagreeing with you, I’m just saying for the version of narrowing it down that was my filter. There’s lots of guys near ppg and you can argue them one way or the other over guys who have more points. I’m certain Ovechkin will be there but Th is was just a way of narrowing things down a bit.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
That's insane.

What's more insane is 1 vote for TT.

Aho has 13-14 goals without some of the passes from TT. Svech has at least 2 fewer goals and 4 fewer points on the PP. Haula has 3 fewer goals.
PLUS--TT is the only regular penalty killer in the league with xGF>xGA on the kill.
I think he has surprised almost everyone with his continued improvement, still he must be near his peak. That means this is likely his best chance to make the All-Star game given that Aho and Svechnikov will likely both get better.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
As much fun as the 3 on 3 is it's made the every team has a representative rule much more of a deal than it used to be. Like Hamilton and Carlson are pretty consensus 1 and 2 best defensemen in the league, and one of them might not make it because the division they both play in is so stacked

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
Aho has 20 goals.

He is on pace for a 40+ goal season.

Out of the 54 votes cast here, Aho has three of them.

That's insane. And what's even more insane is that it's not wrong.

Honestly, from the perspective of a casual hockey fan turning more serious hockey fan, I think we’ve got a lot of amazing and entertaining talent this year ( Which are good characteristics for any All-Star game).

considering that this is the only team I am a fan of that is not from NYC, it’s actually pretty fascinating to see firsthand how “small market“ franchises are treated in regards to these sort of things.

As a Yankees and A Knicks fan for instance, I always feel a bit disoriented when we are not cartoonishly overhyped or disproportionately represented in things of this nature. LOL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad