GDT: All-Star Game No Habs allowed

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Honestly between the "world cup" and the "all star game", I think Bettman has to come to the conclusion that the peak of hockey is the olympics. Get the boys back in there Gary, ASAP.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Honestly between the "world cup" and the "all star game", I think Bettman has to come to the conclusion that the peak of hockey is the olympics. Get the boys back in there Gary, ASAP.

As long as Canada keeps winning, the league wins.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
There's nothing to fix. The all star game isn't for diehards. It's for children and casual fans to see the best players in the league scoring goals.
I would be interested to see the dicotomy of the audience but my take is that there is general apathy for the game.

The original purpose of the game was to collect funds for Ace Bailey, who had his career ended in a game (and nearly his life).

I really don`t know what the purpose is anymore, just that for the first time I didn`t watch any of it.

Reactions: cphabs

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Interesting suggestion here, basically a mid season tournament instead of All Star weekend:

NHL all-star game should be replaced — not tinkered with | CBC Sports

In place of the NHL all-star game, we propose the league split up and play eight four-team, home-and-home, round-robin competitions over the final two weeks in January. Each four-team tourney would have its own Cup, no doubt in today's sporting world with a corporate handle. Here's how we see the new 32-team league being geographically divided (these groupings can be debated, too):
•Anaheim, Los Angeles, San Jose, Seattle.
•Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Winnipeg.
•Arizona, Colorado, Dallas, Vegas.
•Chicago, Detroit Minnesota, St. Louis
•Carolina, Florida, Nashville, Tampa Bay.
•New Jersey, N.Y. Islanders, N.Y. Rangers, Philadelphia.
•Boston, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Washington.
•Buffalo, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto.

The players still get their precious week off, but only this time during Super Bowl week..

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I would bring back the Cup Champions vs the rest of the league with some modifications:
- 1 game vs the Eastern Stars.
- 1 game vs the Western Stars.
- Both games count in the 82 games calendar.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Didn't watch it. Don't like the 3 on 3 format. I like the idea of Division All Star teams playing each other for the All Star cup or whatever.

Something like 8 forwards, 5 D and 2 goalies for each team. Games are 30 minutes with two 15 minute halves, except for finals which would be two 20 minute periods.

Round Robin Fri - Sat. Finals Sunday with top 2 teams and a consolation for bottom 2 teams.

Atlantic

Kucherov
Eichel
Matthews
Pasternak
Stamkos
Larkin
Barkov
Stone

Rielly
Petry
Hedman
Dahlin
Chabot

Vasilevsky
Price

Metro

Ovechkin
Crosby
Barzal
Aho
Hall
Giroux
Panarin
Backstrom

Jones
Carlson
Letang
Werenski
Ghost

Lundqvist
Murray

You get a better overview of players too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad