All signs point to the Flames picking between 7th-10th

Sep 13, 2009
If the Flames continue to hover around the .500 mark, which they have been all season, looks like we'll be picking between 7th and 10th. I think this is the worst possible outcome. We miss the playoffs and we lose out on a potential top-5 pick.

Who do you think we can we get in the 7-10 range that you think could make an impact on this team?

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
If the Flames continue to hover around the .500 mark, which they have been all season, looks like we'll be picking between 7th and 10th. I think this is the worst possible outcome. We miss the playoffs and we lose out on a potential top-5 pick.

Who do you think we can we get in the 7-10 range that you think could make an impact on this team?

Sean Monahan, and I think he is exactly a guy the Flames need.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The 7-10th spots still has a lot potential. Even the folks down on the draft still admitted that the top ten is very deep.

So long as Feaster and/or King don't do something stupid like trading this years first round pick, it should be okay.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
There is no shortage of skilled forwards in this draft. Especially at Center.

Mackinnon, Barkov, Monahan, Lindholm, Nichuskin, Wennberg, Gauthier, Lazar, Horvat and Domi all likely top 25 picks just at Center. Mind you we could use some defense as well.

Forgot Compher and Petan as potential first round centers.

Last edited:

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
There is no shortage of skilled forwards in this draft. Especially at Center.

Mackinnon, Barkov, Monahan, Lindholm, Nichuskin, Wennberg, Gauthier, Lazar, Horvat and Domi all likely top 25 picks just at Center. Mind you we could use some defense as well.

Forgot Compter and Petan as potential first round centers.

Missed Shinkaruk

Sep 13, 2009
I'd love for us to draft Lindholm or Monahan but I fear they either may not be available by the time we come up, or us trading down to draft the next "best player in the draft" in ten years.

I still can't believe Feaster said that. :facepalm:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

No, the worst possible outcome would be drafting outside the top 10 and missing the playoffs. ;) Top 10 is deep enough that I wouldn't mind 7-10. And hopefully someone drafts Nurse and Nichushkin ahead of the Flames, because that'll push the better guys down to their spot.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
Still optimistic. Hope Flames have their eyes on someone like Lindholm, I suspect he may slide a bit from his rightful position but I honestly think Bäckström-type projection is not impossible for him.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
I think we will end up taking Barkov as well. I can see him slide a little to us if we draft 7-10.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Barkov, and nothing else. Joking, lots of great talent in the top ten, but Barkov would be my top choice.

Size and skill, already plays against men, ppg clip. Hell, he is probably NHL ready.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Barkov, and nothing else. Joking, lots of great talent in the top ten, but Barkov would be my top choice.

Size and skill, already plays against men, ppg clip. Hell, he is probably NHL ready.

And he apparently plays a great two-way game. He's everything Feaster and Co. seem to want, especially in a center.

Devilspuppet666

Dec 25, 2010
Calgary
i think feaster gets too much flak... hes done alot of good for our franchise considering how Ownership has his hands tied... i honestly liked the Jankowski trade down, it brought us seiloff

I Dont think our first gets delt unless theres a young (25 years or younger, ROR offersheet) 1st line center man (or one with that potential) due to the fact there are guys in this draft that fill that criteria in this draft

i also like Hartly' system and it seems the choice was picked for being built around with the guys feaster drafted (hardworking and High scoring)

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
i think feaster gets too much flak... hes done alot of good for our franchise considering how Ownership has his hands tied... i honestly liked the Jankowski trade down, it brought us seiloff

I Dont think our first gets delt unless theres a young (25 years or younger, ROR offersheet) 1st line center man (or one with that potential) due to the fact there are guys in this draft that fill that criteria in this draft

i also like Hartly' system and it seems the choice was picked for being built around with the guys feaster drafted (hardworking and High scoring)

Interesting because I don't think he gets near enough. Feaster purports to have created a competitive roster, one that can challenge for a playoff spot, if not for the NW division. A roster that when completely healthy, has only two natural centres on it; those being Stajan and Backlund.

Feaster goes out and signs Cervenka, a player who he touts as a legitimate top six centre. Cervenka, it turns out, is actually more comfortable on the left wing.

In seeking to change the identity of the Flames away from the big bodied dump and case, grinding ways of Sutter, he goes to the other extreme and creates a small, soft and defensively irresponsible lineup with almost no centre depth to speak of.

He's had two years on the job and seems to have made a botch of the NHL roster. Ownership meddling prevents him from selling off assets at the deadline, not from building a functioning team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad