Rugby: All rugby discussion

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Brutal effort from Scotland, might as well have just cancelled the game if that was the effort they were going to put forward.

Nice for South Africa to get a bye into the SFs. You have to think it will be them versus NZ in the final since they don’t have to even play in the QF’s.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Best game of the WC, hands down. Scotland annihilated for a good 40 mins by Japan's speed and amazing offloading, after their try and until the last try of Japan, then they showed their incredible heart and almost tied it up. Japan was completely spent at the end but held on, also thanks to two costly turnovers. Fukuoka was AMAZING, scored and secured the deciding turnover, awesome! Now Ireland vs NZ and Japan vs the Springboks, yummy stuff!

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
Japan were phenomenal.

That said, Gregor Townsend's tactics of kicking the ball away constantly are horrendous and I hope he walks. It's telling that we only gained a foothold in the game when we went to playing the quick ball through the phases that we're good at. Same at Twickenham earlier this year. Battered until he changes it as a last resort.

Feel like we're wasting a good generation of rugby players.

member 305909

So there's going to be a QF Ireland-NZ. The top two expected teams up against each other already this early.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Congrats to Japan! Beating two tier 1 nations to top the group. Japan have now won six consecutive World Cup matches. Only Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and England have had longer winning runs. Crazy that they have a better record than France, Ireland, and Wales!

It will be interesting to see what happens with Japan after the World Cup.

Shame Canada vs. Namibia game didn't go ahead. Was looking forward to that one.

Predictions for quarter finals in bold.

Australia vs. England: I'm English, so I'm really pessimistic about our chances.
Wales vs. France: No problems here for Wales, unless they get a red card early on.
New Zealand vs. Ireland: Ireland haven't had the best of years, and I see the All Blacks avenging their recent losses against them.
South Africa vs. Japan: The fairy tale ends.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
So there's going to be a QF Ireland-NZ. The top two expected teams up against each other already this early.
Congrats to Japan! Beating two tier 1 nations to top the group. Japan have now won six consecutive World Cup matches. Only Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and England have had longer winning runs. Crazy that they have a better record than France, Ireland, and Wales!

It will be interesting to see what happens with Japan after the World Cup.

Shame Canada vs. Namibia game didn't go ahead. Was looking forward to that one.

Predictions for quarter finals in bold.

Australia vs. England: I'm English, so I'm really pessimistic about our chances.
Wales vs. France: No problems here for Wales, unless they get a red card early on.
New Zealand vs. Ireland: Ireland haven't had the best of years, and I see the All Blacks avenging their recent losses against them.
South Africa vs. Japan: The fairy tale ends.

As a New Zealander that Ireland game looks like trouble to me, we have really struggled with them recently

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
I truly believe if New Zealand are going to lose it will be against Ireland. They are the only side currently who match up well with them. Still don’t think ireland win the cup even with a victory over the all blacks.

member 305909

France can beat anyone on their good day but they can't have three consecutive good days.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
I truly believe if New Zealand are going to lose it will be against Ireland. They are the only side currently who match up well with them. Still don’t think ireland win the cup even with a victory over the all blacks.

Much more scared of South Africa than Ireland.

Of course, we have to actually get through Ireland to meet them again, assuming SA also get there which has been my expectation from the outset and still is.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Yeah I can't see Ireland beating the All Blacks. They've been less than ordinary all year and they'll need the stars to align and to be firing on all cylinders in most positions on the pitch to have a performance like last year's form. Classic example of "peaked too early."

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
England Australia and New Zealand Ireland Tonight

Should both be good reasonably even games, I'm thinking England and New Zealand get through but Australia have enough fire power to give England trouble and Ireland have given the All Blacks fits recently

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
I don't think the previous encounters between Ireland and NZ really matter all that much here. The USA game wasn't a full strength side (the All Blacks then corrected things the following game) and the 2018 team is so different that there's little comparison to make.

The Mo'unga-Barrett combo is presenting something that other teams haven't come up against. If we look at that 2018 side

McKenzie
Smith
Goodhue
Crotty
Ioane
Barrett

It's very different to

Barrett
Bridge
Goodhue
ALB
Reece
Mo'unga

Even in the forwards, three of the starting forwards from that game aren't even in the World Cup squad.

Sure it can't hurt the Irish knowing that they have beaten the All Blacks but really they haven't even played this All Black team.

We'll see if they just slide back into their shell again as they have of late. Hopefully not from the contests perspective. Ireland have not been great of late.

Last edited:

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
As a half Fijian, I will always side with the all blacks or wallabies if the Flying Fijians are not playing.

This game right now with Australia and England is great.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
That is a good English side, there going to be a tough out

I would say that Ireland or New Zealand will be much tougher tests though, you can bully Australia if your committed, those other two teams not so much

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
As a half Fijian, I will always side with the all blacks or wallabies if the Flying Fijians are not playing.

This game right now with Australia and England is great.
Bula vinaka! Shame Aussie lost for you but as a kiwi I'm not too disappointed. There have been some awesome Fijian players in both teams over the years.

Bring on Ireland, should be a great match this afternoon.

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Bula vinaka! Shame Aussie lost for you but as a kiwi I'm not too disappointed. There have been some awesome Fijian players in both teams over the years.

Bring on Ireland, should be a great match this afternoon.
Honestly, it’s no biggie. I’m enjoying every game, it’s been rough staying up until 4am but it’s a necessity. Go All Blacks!

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
EEB45C73-683B-40F8-B8C6-B6A67FE90444.gif

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Loving the Irish crowd singing through the haka. That's how you counter it, rather than going crying to the media.

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
Loving the Irish crowd singing through the haka. That's how you counter it, rather than going crying to the media.

Seen plenty of All Blacks fans crying about the singing being disrespectful.

As for the game, total dominance. I dread to think of how Scotland would have fared.

member 305909

I expected better of Ireland. A deserved exit. They were a bit overhyped before the tournament.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Very good performance by England. They keep getting better and better as the tournament progresses. Of course, next week they will have to be on top of their game to beat New Zealand. I expect a New Zealand victory, but England should make it more of a contest than Ireland. Ireland have never got past the quarter finals, which is an amazing stat when you think about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad