All purpose trade/roster building thread the 13th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
DeBrusk for Skjei would be awesome. I'd imagine we'd need to add.

I've mentioned I'd be frustrated if it turned out the 1st this year was lost for an extended rental if Skjei leaves in the expansion draft this year.

OTOH, if you told me that 2020 first that became Skjei could be turned into DeBrusk? I think we could all get on board with that idea.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Those aren't his thoughts?

Can be, still isn’t perfect fit for Boston.

Boston’s biggest needs are improving secondary scoring and es play.
After the 1st line DeBrusk is the only top6 winger on the team.

Skjei isn’t good enough for top pair/be trade return for DeBrusk

Reactions: Tryamw and MinJaBen

2Minutes4Surging

Jul 5, 2017
Durham, NC
where does Geekie fit in todays lineup?
In today's line-up he is 4th line C. I think he seems like a prototypical 3C but will never be able to supplant Staal. By the time Staal's contract is up, we will potentially be flooded with young bottom 9 center talent with the likes of Cotton, Rees, Drury and to a lesser degree Murray. I can see Geekie holding down the 4th C for while and becoming a Riley Nash type player or he could bump up the line-up at right wing if his scoring takes off or due to organizational needs.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
In today's line-up he is 4th line C. I think he seems like a prototypical 3C but will never be able to supplant Staal. By the time Staal's contract is up, we will potentially be flooded with young bottom 9 center talent with the likes of Cotton, Rees, Drury and to a lesser degree Murray. I can see Geekie holding down the 4th C for while and becoming a Riley Nash type player or he could bump up the line-up at right wing if his scoring takes off or due to organizational needs.

With his style of play I'd like to see him on the wing. That could get him on the 3rd or 2nd line if needed.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I think he’s a great choice in general, my problem is the current first round pick price tag - if that’s accurate. It’s hard to imagine giving up a first, or Bean....any of the really good stuff for him. If there was a quantity over quality option to offer I’d like it.

I also think we’re dreaming with the Askarov talk. Not seeing him getting to us right now.

The Athletic literally just had a mock draft in which every one of their beat writers forecast their team's most likely pick, and Askarov fell to us.

Now, maybe all those beat writers are wrong, but to say we're "dreaming" sounds silly.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Can be, still isn’t perfect fit for Boston.

Boston’s biggest needs are improving secondary scoring and es play.
After the 1st line DeBrusk is the only top6 winger on the team.

Skjei isn’t good enough for top pair/be trade return for DeBrusk

And DeBrusk is nowhere close to being good enough to get a top pairing D.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
And DeBrusk is nowhere close to being good enough to get a top pairing D.

No he isnt’.

Didn’t even try to suggest that.

Just doesn’t make sense to trade DeBrusk for a guy you don’t want paired up with McAvoy and leave Bjork-Kase as 2nd line wings.

The partner for McAvoy doesn’t even need to be a true quality 1-2#D, just a guy who can play safe game next to McAvoy without being an anchor

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
No he isnt’.

Didn’t even try to suggest that.

You said “Skjei isn’t good enough for top pair/be trade return for DeBrusk”

The implications of that statement is you want a top pairing D if you are to trade DeBrusk, and Skjei isn’t a top pairing D so not worth DeBrusk. Maybe you didn’t intend to imply that, but you did so with your statement.

Just doesn’t make sense to trade DeBrusk for a guy you don’t want paired up with McAvoy and leave Bjork-Kase as 2nd line wings.

The partner for McAvoy doesn’t even need to be a true quality 1-2#D, just a guy who can play safe game next to McAvoy without being an anchor

A top pairing D, that really isn’t a 1-2 but can comfortably play 1-2 next to McAvoy? Isn’t that still a top pairing guy, or at least a really good #3. I still don’t think DeBrusk is worth that. Depends on who the player is though So it’s possible.

If it doesn’t make sense for Boston to trade DeBrusk because of lack of forward depth, that’s fine, and completely reasonable.

Best bet is maybe a guy like Hanifin for DeBrusk+. Hanifin hasn’t been able to show he can handle top pairing duties yet and has even had defense struggles on the 2nd pairing. Maybe he takes it up a notch in Boston, but you are betting on him improving.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You said “Skjei isn’t good enough for top pair/be trade return for DeBrusk”

The implications of that statement is you want a top pairing D if you are to trade DeBrusk, and Skjei isn’t a top pairing D so not worth DeBrusk. Maybe you didn’t intend to imply that, but you did so with your statement.

If there was a top3 available that makes sense I’d be going DeBrusk+, not again assuming just straight up

A top pairing D, that really isn’t a 1-2 but can comfortably play 1-2 next to McAvoy? Isn’t that still a top pairing guy, or at least a really good #3. I still don’t think DeBrusk is worth that. Depends on who the player is though So it’s possible.

If it doesn’t make sense for Boston to trade DeBrusk because of lack of forward depth, that’s fine, and completely reasonable.

Best bet is maybe a guy like Hanifin for DeBrusk+. Hanifin hasn’t been able to show he can handle top pairing duties yet and has even had defense struggles on the 2nd pairing. Maybe he takes it up a notch in Boston, but you are betting on him improving.

I don’t want a top pair guy like Pesce for DeBrusk+ because it isn’t realistic.

Skjei isn’t good enough Dman to completely destroy the secondary scoring, which already is the biggest issue on the roster.

If top3 was available to offer would be DeBrusk+, not assuming just straight up

If you trade DeBrusk it needs to be worth it

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

Skjei isn’t good enough Dman to completely destroy the secondary scoring, which already is the biggest issue on the roster.

Agree. Was only commenting on the initial statement about a top pairing D.

Reactions: BB88

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

Even with these caveats I feel like you are overvaluing a 40-50 point wing.

If DeBrusk is that expensive and you feel wing is a need, see what Toronto wants for Andreas Johnsson.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Even with these caveats I feel like you are overvaluing a 40-50 point wing.

If DeBrusk is that expensive and you feel wing is a need, see what Toronto wants for Andreas Johnsson.

How am I overvaluing his trade market?

You trade DeBrusk for Dman and the 2nd line becomes

Bjork-Krejci-Kase with zero top6 wing prospects in the prospect pool.

If Boston wants to address issues in the lineup it’s UFA market not trade market.
The cap is in the best shape I’ve seen and the team is low on trade assets.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Ya I get that Debrusk is a nice young piece and has put up decent points in his career albeit nothing really outstanding, but I think even a really good #3 isn’t going to be on the table for him.

Like a guy like Nylander who was on pace for a 70+ point season and is locked up at a good contract rate for a while is being shit on for not being able to pull in a top pairing defender. People are saying he’s only worth a #3.

It looked like a convenient trade just because of Krug likely leaving via UFA and Skjei being fairly young, having the same contract Krug did and is a player that has some really good tools in his size and speed. No doubt he has some flaws in his game as well but to some posters on the main board saying they wouldn’t take him for free or maybe would only give up Bjork or Moore is just stupid.

Reactions: cptjeff

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
How am I overvaluing his trade market?

You trade DeBrusk for Dman and the 2nd line becomes

Bjork-Krejci-Kase with zero top6 wing prospects in the prospect pool.

If Boston wants to address issues in the lineup it’s UFA market not trade market.
The cap is in the best shape I’ve seen and the team is low on trade assets.

"Boston can't afford to trade DeBrusk" is not the same as "Skjei is not worth DeBrusk".

I completely understand the first one, and still disagree with the second.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
"Boston can't afford to trade DeBrusk" is not the same as "Skjei is not worth DeBrusk".

I completely understand the first one, and still disagree with the second.

It isn’t for Boston

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Ya I get that Debrusk is a nice young piece and has put up decent points in his career albeit nothing really outstanding, but I think even a really good #3 isn’t going to be on the table for him.

Like a guy like Nylander who was on pace for a 70+ point season and is locked up at a good contract rate for a while is being shit on for not being able to pull in a top pairing defender. People are saying he’s only worth a #3.

It looked like a convenient trade just because of Krug likely leaving via UFA and Skjei being fairly young, having the same contract Krug did and is a player that has some really good tools in his size and speed. No doubt he has some flaws in his game as well but to some posters on the main board saying they wouldn’t take him for free or maybe would only give up Bjork or Moore is just stupid.

It’s not stupid, there are just better uses of the cap space. Bruins can’t afford to be over paying guys. I probably wouldn’t sign Skjei to that deal in UFA, nevermind give up DeBrusk for the right to do so. DeBrusk has unclear value. He went from 27 goals in 60 odd games to a 20 goal pace this year. What is he actually? Probably somewhere in between. A 25-30 goal scorer who does most of his damage at 5 on 5. But his biggest issue is inconsistency. Which is something that can improve with age. Or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->