All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread Pt 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
As for Kovy, it may not seem like a glaring need, but scoring depth and a hopefully motivated Kovy may not be the worst thing in the world for them. It may not seem like the best plan for the playoffs, but if their D is unstable at best and their goalies are Swiss cheese, guess they figure they might need to score a whole lot. He's also cheap and that fits what they can add well.

Reactions: zman77

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Everybody forgets this, but Columbus was essentially backed in the corner to go all in at the deadline last year. Panarin wanted the big city life even though the Jackets were willing to pay to the moon in both years and AAV to keep him, and they therefore basically had one shot to contend with their current core of stars. The Canes aren't even close to that level of desperation. The vast majority of their core, outside of Hamilton, has many years of team control remaining.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'm not sure there are many, if any, people advocating going all in. That doesn't mean we can make moves to keep us in the fight and make us better. Maybe they do nothing and it all turns out fine, but I haven't wanted that all along, and I don't feel any different after the events of last night. If they don't do what I'd like, similar to last year, I'll gripe for like 15 minutes, and then I'll move on and root for the team to get it done anyways.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Rentals don't have to be rentals. If a team is strategic about what it buys, value is added in the form of a trial run, even in the absence of games in late May. This team was interested in signing Lehner in the Summer. They've been interested in trading for him for several months. Get him around the organization and perhaps that can help address whatever has stood between the two sides in the past.

The RHD market is loaded this year. Faulk made a terrific decision signing early. Think about his outlook in this marketplace if he had just played out the season and put up those numbers. Vatanen doesn't seem to be that in demand. Get him down here and perhaps he could become that Top 4 defenseman with term they've been after.

Trading 1st round picks for rentals is illogical under the circumstances. Trading some Day 2 picks and B-prospects is not, particularly when there's depth in the organization to cover for it. That stance has been signaled through the media, even directly tonight with the Vatanen rumor.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I wonder if a deal with Boston and Ottawa could work

Boston- Dzingel, Us- JGP, Ottawa- futures from Boston

Or

Boston- Dzingel, Us- Palimeri & Vantanen, NJ- futures from Boston and us.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I don't need advice from that chicken guy

Dammit... Hold 'em... fold'em... walk away... run. I never realized.

robin_minstrel.jpg

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Rentals don't have to be rentals. If a team is strategic about what it buys, value is added in the form of a trial run, even in the absence of games in late May. This team was interested in signing Lehner in the Summer. They've been interested in trading for him for several months. Get him around the organization and perhaps that can help address whatever has stood between the two sides in the past.

The RHD market is loaded this year. Faulk made a terrific decision signing early. Think about his outlook in this marketplace if he had just played out the season and put up those numbers. Vatanen doesn't seem to be that in demand. Get him down here and perhaps he could become that Top 4 defenseman with term they've been after.

Trading 1st round picks for rentals is illogical under the circumstances. Trading some Day 2 picks and B-prospects is not, particularly when there's depth in the organization to cover for it. That stance has been signaled through the media, even directly tonight with the Vatanen rumor.

Lehner will be unrestricted in four months. Is he going to make an impact equivalent to a first-round pick in 20 games plus playoffs?

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I don't doubt that they were serious. What I AM saying is that they clearly seem to like to cap their offer just a tad bit less than the top bidder, particularly if the analytics of said player aren't really very good. They're interested, sure, but they're not desperate. They remind me of what Cheveldayoff is like, except much more active. It should be noted, BTW, that Charlotte is a much deeper farm team than Syracuse, which is why Tampa probably offered more.
I believe what you speak of is “Dundon won’t make a trade unless it’s considered a *win*, regardless of actual need.”

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I believe what you speak of is “Dundon won’t make a trade unless it’s considered a *win*, regardless of actual need.”
That's... not the way you really can conduct the GM business. Insist on "winning" every trade and you will soon run out of trading partners.

Obviously some trades are win-win for both sides, which is nice all around.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Lehner will be unrestricted in four months. Is he going to make an impact equivalent to a first-round pick in 20 games plus playoffs?

I don't think anyone has suggested that they should pay that price. Logically, they shouldn't. The talk out of Chicago is that they won't.

What we're hearing about the Blackhawks the night before the...

The market is unfavorable to the Hawks here, going team by team. Carolina is the only playoff contender that is rumored to be in the starter market. It's probably just up to Bowman whether he wants to sell for what the market is offering or not.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
That's... not the way you really can conduct the GM business. Insist on "winning" every trade and you will soon run out of trading partners.

Obviously some trades are win-win for both sides, which is nice all around.

Case in point, Hamilton/Lindholm was a win-win. So was Adam Fox for 2 2nds. Haula for Roy looks like a good deal for both teams, as well. Faulk for Eddy/Bokk was a win-win, too, despite popular perception due to Faulk's slow start and adjustment to his new team. The only real rip-off that the Canes have done to any GM was Nino for Rask and maybe Kaski for Wood if Kaski becomes an NHL player.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Case in point, Hamilton/Lindholm was a win-win. So was Adam Fox for 2 2nds. Haula for Roy looks like a good deal for both teams, as well. Faulk for Eddy/Bokk was a win-win, too, despite popular perception due to Faulk's slow start and adjustment to his new team. The only real rip-off that the Canes have done to any GM was Nino for Rask and maybe Kaski for Wood if Kaski becomes an NHL player.

And at the time of the trade the probability obviously was factored into the price. If Kaski has the probability of 0.6 to become an NHL-level player, the trade-time Kaski is worth 0.6 times the speculative NHL-level Kaski.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I don't think anyone has suggested that they should pay that price. Logically, they shouldn't. The talk out of Chicago is that they won't.

What we're hearing about the Blackhawks the night before the...

The market is unfavorable to the Hawks here, going team by team. Carolina is the only playoff contender that is rumored to be in the starter market. It's probably just up to Bowman whether he wants to sell for what the market is offering or not.

I think this goes to the wire but the conditions really do seem to be lining up for this move to happen. We've got a player we know the front office has been interested in for a while, a more pressing need for the position, no obvious competitors to drive up the price, and a team that has no reason not to take the best offer.

It's possible Bowman is too stubborn and says a 1st or no deal, and in that case you say thanks but no thanks and move on. Check in on an Aaron Dell type for a cheap pick or just roll with what you've got for a few games until Mrazek is back.

Reactions: zman77

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Hindsight maybe, but you are neglecting the Hanifin/Ferland part. At the time of the trade and early into it, a vast number of people thought Carolina lost that deal, and many still do.

Skinner trade was widely panned as a loss for Carolina at the time of the trade, as was the deHann trade.

I think this group in charge isn’t afraid of “losing” a trade if they think it’s the right move for the team.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Whether it was intentional or not I really think the year Dougie was having shows how perfect he is for a Brind'Amour team. He's aggressive in both ends and produces scoring chances from anywhere. Seems like that's the identity he's trying to cultivate is never stop moving, dangerous, unpredictable, and dougie checks all of those boxes and does it in all situations for 20+ minutes per game. Man he was having a great year. Really hope he gets to play some more before next season

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
From Slavin/Pesce/Hamilton/Faulk/de Haan to Slavin/Pesce/Skjei and Gardiner... Man, I hope we find a way to keep him. You can't replace that easily Hamilton.

Reactions: cptjeff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad