All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread Pt 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
What's the consensus among your fanbase on what to do trade-wise? Looking at your injury situation, team cap structure and how competitive the Metro is it just seems obvious to me to stand pat. There's nothing really pressing for decisions in the offseason for free agency, it's the next offseason that is the big one with Hamilton + goalies + Svechnikov.

If I'm the Canes I'd just ride it out and hope that your team continues its course after that emotional win and hope to get the D-men back later on as a boost. Then draft 6 players in the first 3 rounds.

Reactions: geehaad and Tryamw

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I’m fine looking for help. I’m fine with a rental, in fact I’d prefer it so it leaves our options as open as possible for resigning Dougie. But I absolutely don’t want to move either first unless it is heavily protected, like top 20 protected, and the asset we get has term.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
You guys should be in on Crawford

He is playing great and has the postseason experience/big game experience that Canes could use down stretch

Lehner has been pretty awful these past two months but I guess it could be argued maybe the talks with Hawks for extension faltering and trade rumors may be affecting him

My trade idea

To :canes
G Corey Crawford (15% retained) or Lehner

To :hawks
LW Janne Kuokkanen
2020 Conditional 3rd round pick (Canes 3rd round pick , If Canes make playoffs it becomes 2nd rounder)

To me that would be pretty fair deal for both sides

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Interesting no D call up yet.

We are throwing away the season if we go with those two as the goalies. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I doubt it. I agree with @Sens1Canes2 .

This is the stop gap until a trade is made or they literally have no other options but to play them. It could be worse, and we have no idea how this could play out at this point. If Goalies are voodoo, and there is plenty of supporting evidence, one of the 2 could come up and play lights out. Elevate the competition, elevate the game.

Also, it's not like we were getting stellar tending with Reimer and Mrazek. I haven't checked stats lately but it was hovering near league average.

Last edited:

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
You guys should be in on Crawford

He is playing great and has the postseason experience/big game experience that Canes could use down stretch

Lehner has been pretty awful these past two months but I guess it could be argued maybe the talks with Hawks for extension faltering and trade rumors may be affecting him

My trade idea

To :canes
G Corey Crawford (15% retained) or Lehner

To :hawks
LW Janne Kuokkanen
2020 Conditional 3rd round pick (Canes 3rd round pick , If Canes make playoffs it becomes 2nd rounder)

To me that would be pretty fair deal for both sides

I’d do it and I commend you on making such a reasonable proposal. It’s legitimately the only one I’ve seen. The main board is littered with countless absurd proposals ripping off the canes right now.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I liked Kuokkanen at draft and he is type of player the Hawks can slot in for next year in top 9 LW spot and the pick gives works well for what is rebuild as Hawks dont have either a 2020 2nd or 2021 3rd (Shaw trade)

So adding a 2020 3rd or 2nd would be in our best interest and Canes appear to be well stocked with prospects and picks

Reactions: Tryamw and zman77

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
My concern with Crawford is age. Can he be a solution for another couple of years, turning 36 in December? A goalie acquisition at that level should be just as much a trial run for an extension as a win-now type deal. The net moving forward is still in flux.

Reactions: Tryamw

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
My concern with Crawford is age. Can he be a solution for another couple of years, turning 36 in December? A goalie acquisition at that level should be just as much a trial run for an extension as a win-now type deal. The net moving forward is still in flux.

I think he is good as a 1A/1B situation going forward beyond this year for another season or two

Isn't Nedeljkovic still regarded as future of Canes in net? If so Crawford would be good vet to pair him with as he is well liked in lockerroom and supportive of his fellow goalie

He has been very good in duo situations with Turco , Emery , Raanta , Darling and Lehner speaking highly of him and him being very comfortable with rotational setup

Crawford as a 45-50 game starter next year and 30-40 game starter with kid taking over 1A role in 2021-22 would be good setup honestly

He is still playing at high level right now and I dont see him falling off dramatically going forward

I still think Crawford has a deep run or two left in him if he is on better team

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Hurricanes hope Bogosian signs with them

Pierre LeBrun: After losing defenseman Brett Pesce last night, the Carolina Hurricanes are hoping that Zach Bogosian will sign with them. He’s getting interest from a lot of teams.
Bogosian getting lots of interest

Darren Dreger: Free agent defenseman Zach Bogosian is getting interest from the Carolina Hurricanes, Pittsburgh Penguins, and Arizona Coyotes.
It’s believed that the Toronto Maple Leafs interest in Bogosian has cooled.
The Calgary Flames, San Jose Sharks, and Boston Bruins are among the teams that have done some tire kicking.
NHL Rumors: Hurricanes, Blackhawks, Islanders ... Lots of Interest in Zach Bogosian - NHL Rumors

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
LeBrun thinks the Canes stand pat on the goalie front and very specifically calls out them targeting Vatanen IF they can get him for a 2nd:

YES PLEASE!

I suspect it will come down to how much interest there is in Vatanen from other teams, I can’t imagine any scenario in which we don’t move him as we clearly aren’t going to re-sign him.

If there’s no better offers i’m certain we’d take the 2nd round pick, but it may take a 2nd + a prospect or even a 1st if other teams drive the price up.

Think Vatanen would be a great fit for you guys though.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I suspect it will come down to how much interest there is in Vatanen from other teams, I can’t imagine any scenario in which we don’t move him as we clearly aren’t going to re-sign him.

If there’s no better offers i’m certain we’d take the 2nd round pick, but it may take a 2nd + a prospect or even a 1st if other teams drive the price up.

IF he goes for a 1st, it won’t be to CAR.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I think he is good as a 1A/1B situation going forward beyond this year for another season or two

Isn't Nedeljkovic still regarded as future of Canes in net? If so Crawford would be good vet to pair him with as he is well liked in lockerroom and supportive of his fellow goalie

He has been very good in duo situations with Turco , Emery , Raanta , Darling and Lehner speaking highly of him and him being very comfortable with rotational setup

Crawford as a 45-50 game starter next year and 30-40 game starter with kid taking over 1A role in 2021-22 would be good setup honestly

He is still playing at high level right now and I dont see him falling off dramatically going forward

I still think Crawford has a deep run or two left in him if he is on better team

Little tricky as Mrazek and Reimer are both under contract for next year.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Vatanen is the best rental D on the market so I wouldn't be shocked to see a team like Pittsburgh paying a late 1st. Unfortunately or fortunately for the Canes their 1st is more in the 15-22 range which is a tough price to pay for a couple months of a stopgap.

Vatanen would fill in on the 1st/2nd pair well and may even re-sign for a workable number. If the Canes dealt NYR's 2nd + a B prospect for him I'd be pleased.

Reactions: DaveG and Tryamw

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Vatanen is the best rental D on the market so I wouldn't be shocked to see a team like Pittsburgh paying a late 1st. Unfortunately or fortunately for the Canes their 1st is more in the 15-22 range which is a tough price to pay for a couple months of a stopgap.

Vatanen would fill in on the 1st/2nd pair well and may even re-sign for a workable number. If the Canes dealt NYR's 2nd + a B prospect for him I'd be pleased.

Our hope is certainly that he’ll generate enough interest to squeeze a late 1st out of somebody. Although a good prospect + a 2nd wouldn’t be a bad return by any means, especially if the prospect is on the cusp of being an NHL contributor since our lineup is getting a little thin.

Who do you guys perceive to be ‘available’ as far as your prospects go? Would someone like Kuokkanen be expendable in a trade for Vatanen?

Reactions: Tryamw and zman77

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The insiders have been lukewarm when he's been the subject. The true contenders don't really need him. The 2nd tier contenders can't afford to trade a 1st for him. His injury adds complexity to the situation.

The potential of New Jersey not wanting to trade him in division is a bigger worry than another team paying a premium price, imo.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Our hope is certainly that he’ll generate enough interest to squeeze a late 1st out of somebody. Although a good prospect + a 2nd wouldn’t be a bad return by any means, especially if the prospect is on the cusp of being an NHL contributor since our lineup is getting a little thin.

Who do you guys perceive to be ‘available’ as far as your prospects go? Would someone like Kuokkanen be expendable in a trade for Vatanen?

Kuokkanen matches what you are looking for, and seems to be someone who doesn't appear to have a route to a job in Raleigh in the immediate future.

Using Kuokkanen + 2nd to land a D without giving up a 1st makes a lot of sense for Carolina.

I know it's Eklund, but I saw Eklund mention that a team was asking about a package deal of Vatanen and Domingue. That would make sense for Carolina; Domingue would backfill in Charlotte if they are rolling with Nedeljkovic as part of the tandem the rest of the season.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Kuokkanen matches what you are looking for, and seems to be someone who doesn't appear to have a route to a job in Raleigh in the immediate future.

Using Kuokkanen + 2nd to land a D without giving up a 1st makes a lot of sense for Carolina.

I know it's Eklund, but I saw Eklund mention that a team was asking about a package deal of Vatanen and Domingue. That would make sense for Carolina; Domingue would backfill in Charlotte if they are rolling with Nedeljkovic as part of the tandem the rest of the season.

Kuokkanen definitely fits the profile of what we’d be looking to add. I think something along the lines of Vatanen + Domingue for Kuokkanen + 2nd round pick would be more than amenable to us assuming nobody offers up a 1st, which is entirely possible.

I don’t think we’d be adverse to trading him within the division at this juncture, Vatanen isn’t part of our plans so I suspect we’ll simply take the best return we can get for him. We’re not going to re-sign him, so i’m certain we’ll take what we can get as opposed to losing him for nothing in July.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Man, if we don't pick up any goalie, we'd be simultaneously torpedoing the Canes season and Charlotte's season. That's rough. We'll see what happens though. I'm sure there is a lot out there about us now, but moves like Nino and Goat didn't really have anybody calling them ahead of time.

Reactions: AD Skinner

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Man, if we don't pick up any goalie, we'd be simultaneously torpedoing the Canes season and Charlotte's season. That's rough. We'll see what happens though. I'm sure there is a lot out there about us now, but moves like Nino and Goat didn't really have anybody calling them ahead of time.

We still don’t know anything about the injuries to Reimer and Mrazek. Might not be long before we can send one of both guys back to Charlotte.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Well, that's where the we'll see what happens comes in. Maybe we do make a move, maybe one of the guys will be back and this won't be as big a deal as it seems. I'm willing to wait and see what's going on.

I'm fine with not getting Bogosian, though it'll be interesting to see how he does in Tampa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->