All purpose trade / roster building thread part 4: We like our Jerks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
This off-season could be one of the busiest there has been in a while. In addition to the non playoff teams the Pens, TB, Calgary, and Nashville could all be looking for a serious shakeup. Also regardless of outcome pieces will be falling off of CBJ.

I agree. I'm guessing the Canes won't take part in it too much though given Dundon's comments in the past about UFAs, the extensions to TT and Aho kicking in, etc... I do think they'll try to trade a RHD (probably Faulk) for scoring help upfront and don't think they'll re-sign Ferland. I'd really like to see them add more scoring in the top 9 forwards, but I suspect they'll try to fill that with the RHD trade and giving a chance to 1 of the guys in Charlotte.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I agree. I'm guessing the Canes won't take part in it too much though given Dundon's comments in the past about UFAs, the extensions to TT and Aho kicking in, etc... I do think they'll try to trade a RHD (probably Faulk) for scoring help upfront and don't think they'll re-sign Ferland. I'd really like to see them add more scoring in the top 9 forwards, but I suspect they'll try to fill that with the RHD trade and giving a chance to 1 of the guys in Charlotte.
I do think they'll lean towards a D trade, and possibly dangling the 1st rounder or one of the two 2nds. I think if they can make an aggressive mid level forward signing similar to de Haan last year, they'd do it.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
With the depth we have in Charlotte, I don't mind having a 12th-13th forward guy like Saku on the roster and leaving a spot open for your Kuokkanens, Roys, Gauthiers, etc. to battle it out.

I hate when we pencil in a specific guy, but if it's "today this is Saku's spot, but show me something during camp and it could be yours", similar to what Foegele was able to do, I'm all for that.

We actually won't have much room assuming everyone comes back and we get a forward for a RHD:

Guys who will make the team no questions asked:
Aho
TT
Nino
Svech
Staal
Williams
Martinook

Guys who would probably make the team barring a major surprise:

Foegele
Wallmark
McGinn

Questionable:
Saku
Mystery Forward from trading a RD (subject to moving into either of the above groups)

That's 12 spots without signing McKegg or Ferland and without a single Checker. Assuming the Mystery Forward is a bonafide top 9er, all we'd have is that Saku spot for a Checker to come in and take. If they decide to separate Necas from that group of Checkers forwards and pencil him in rather than making him compete for the same spot, that's 13 forwards already.

I think we let McKegg cash in somewhere and maybe Bishop takes the 4C. I frankly liked him better than McKegg anyway, just a poorly timed injury and a hot start from McKegg.

And, while I'm all for adding depth up and down the lineup, I think we are automatically adding a top line winger next year named Andrei Svechnikov. You hate to stand pat and hope your players will just get better, but in Svech's case I think a significant uptick can be penciled in.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Nino - Aho - TT
Foegle - Staal - Necas
Martinook - Wallmark - Williams
McGinn - McKegg - Saku
Did we trade Svech?

The point being with Necas coming up and one of Saarela or Gauthier pushing for playing time, a big trade may not be needed. The secondary point being the left side of the D is actually more crowed--Slavin, Pesce, de Haan, Bean. Why move Pesce back when he excelled on the left and seemed to produce more offense?

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
The secondary point being the left side of the D is actually more crowed--Slavin, Pesce, de Haan, Bean. Why move Pesce back when he excelled on the left and seemed to produce more offense?

1) Because he's a natural righty and should be playing that side

2) Hamilton/Faulk/Pesce/TVR at ~$17M is entirely unsustainable for a small market team

3) He'll be needed on the right after the inevitable RD trade this summer and to potentially pair with and mentor Bean.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'm glad McKegg was able to come up and provide a spark at first, and later a bit of stability. But I don't think he should be anything more than what he was this year. An insurance policy on a two way. If he's not down with that, those guys aren't that hard to find. I really don't think he's that good at the NHL level.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
There's still a black hole of offensive production on the 3rd line.

Nino-Aho-TT
Svech-Staal-Necas
Foegele-???-Williams
Martinhook-Wallmark-McGinn

And Staal and Foegele weren't good for most of the year. They can't play balls to the wall all the time in an 82 game season. We need a center, and a right handed shot winger for the powerplay. Right now the choice is a geriatric Williams and young Martin Necas. Bleh.

My fantasy is Roy takes the next step and cements that 3rd line spot, and we finally get positive coverage from the La Presse Francophone. Slavin also mentioned he was trying to form a network of Christian NHL'ers. He'll deliver us Duchene!

I'm glad McKegg was able to come up and provide a spark at first, and later a bit of stability. But I don't think he should be anything more than what he was this year. An insurance policy on a two way. If he's not down with that, those guys aren't that hard to find. I really don't think he's that good at the NHL level.

He had one week of production and has been a warm body ever since.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
There's still a black hole of offensive production on the 3rd line.

Nino-Aho-TT
Svech-Staal-Necas
Foegele-???-Williams
Martinhook-Wallmark-McGinn

And Staal and Foegele weren't good for most of the year. They can't play balls to the wall all the time in an 82 game season. We need a center, and a right handed shot winger for the powerplay. Right now the choice is a geriatric Williams and young Martin Necas. Bleh.

My fantasy is Roy takes the next step and cements that 3rd line spot, and we finally get positive coverage from the La Presse Francophone. Slavin also mentioned he was trying to form a network of Christian NHL'ers. He'll deliver us Duchene!

He had one week of production and has been a warm body ever since.

I realize that's your point (about not having a good RW option), but Jordan takes the toughest match-ups and I struggle seeing Rod putting Svech and Necas with him, to take on those toughest match-ups.

I would love a guy like Duchene. I'm not opposed to moving Aho back to the wing either as I think he's better there, even though he's done a good job at C.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
2) Hamilton/Faulk/Pesce/TVR at ~$17M is entirely unsustainable for a small market team

3) He'll be needed on the right after the inevitable RD trade this summer and to potentially pair with and mentor Bean.[/QUOTE

I don't see how $4M on the third pairing is sustainable. If Faulk is traded, I think the pairings end up:
Slavin/Hamilton
de Haan/Pesce
Bean or Fleury/TVR

Though trying to be objective and discounting the narrative on this board, the best business decision might be to move de Haan. Many fans get frustrated by Faulk, but he and Pesce were one of the reasons the team surged. Faulk compared to de Haan is a year younger, doesn't have the injury history, and has double-digit goals 3 of the past four seasons.

Compared to the above, these pairings have more offensive upside:
Slavin/Hamilton
Pesce/Faulk
Bean or Fleury/TVR

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I realize that's your point (about not having a good RW option), but Jordan takes the toughest match-ups and I struggle seeing Rod putting Svech and Necas with him, to take on those toughest match-ups.

From when Jordan was injured to his return in the playoff push, Rod preferred to use Aho against the top competition. Like in the Devils game, where Aho-Williams-Nino was matched against Coleman and Hischier, while Staal was matched against Zajac and Wood (under the tab "shift chart"). But idk, I was honestly just spitballing, the main point is there's still 2-3 forward spots where we need productive NHL'ers to push this team to the next level.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Aho - Necas - TT
Nino - Staal - Svechnikov
Martinook - Wallmark - Williams
McGinn - McKegg - Saku

I don't think Rod is going to put Necas as the 1C. Like Svech, he's probably going to give him limited minutes and make him earn it. I suspect Necas is still a few years away from being a 1C (if he ever becomes one).

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
I think if we get a Ferland replacement and have the expected contribution from Svech (he's already there) and Necas we will be ok.

NN - Aho - Williams
Svech - Staal - TT
Foegele
Martinook
McGinn/ Wallmark

Plus one open spot for all out competition (not that Necas (or anyone else) should be given a free pass)

Last edited:

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I think if we get a Ferland replacement and have the expected contribution from Svech (he's already there) and Necas we will be ok.

NN - Aho - Williams
Svech - Staal - TT
Foegele
Martinook
McGinn/ Wallmark

Plus one open spot for all out competition (not that Necas (or anyone else) should be given a free pass)
so something like

Nino-Aho-Willy
Svech-Staal-TT
Foegs-Necas-Martinook
___-McKegg-Sakku

Hope that Necas is able to rise up to 2C by the playoffs to play alongside Svech and TT? That could be a potent lineup

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
so something like

Nino-Aho-Willy
Svech-Staal-TT
Foegs-Necas-Martinook
___-McKegg-Sakku

Hope that Necas is able to rise up to 2C by the playoffs to play alongside Svech and TT? That could be a potent lineup

Wallmark?

He’s much more well rounded guy vs. McKegg. I’d even say if he ends up as a 4C, he’d be one of the best in the league.

My take:

Nino-Aho-Kapanen/Toffoli/Right shot top 6 F acquisition/UFA

Zucker/Ferland/Checker-Staal-Williams

Svechnikov-Necas-TT

Foegele-Wallmark-Martinook

(Trade ammo for Zucker/Kapanen etc = an acceptable combo of Faulk/TVR/~20OA/Buf 2nd/ whatever we get from NYR for Fox/Fluery/Gauthier/Roy/Kuokkanen/Mckeown/Saarela) Also hopefully one of Gauthier\Kuoakkanen/Saarela make the team if not traded.

Last edited:

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Wallmark?

He’s much more well rounded guy vs. McKegg. I’d even say if he ends up as a 4C, he’d be one of the best in the league.

My take:

Svechnikov-Necas-TT

Interchangeable, really. I mean if you're splitting hairs about 4th liners, the lineup is in a pretty good spot.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Wallmark?

My take:

Svechnikov-Necas-TT

(Trade ammo for Zucker/Kapanen etc = an acceptable combo of Faulk/TVR/~20OA/Buf 2nd/ whatever we get from NYR for Fox/Fluery/Gauthier/Roy/Kuokkanen/Mckeown/Saarela) Also hopefully one of Gauthier\Kuoakkanen/Saarela make the team if not traded.

i dont think Necas will be NHL center ready next season.

We could see another rendition of Staal between two young wingers. Svech-Staal-Necas.

Outside of Necas, we could have 4 other checker forwards making legitimate pushes for a roster spot: saarela, Gauthier, Kuokkanen, and Geekie.

I like the idea of getting Kapanen. Although, I would prefer a center. I only see one forward acquisition with our budget, unless TD goes wild.

Turbo-Aho-Kapanen
Svech-Staal-Necas
Nino-Geekie/Kuok-Williams
Martinook-Wallmark-(insert one of 6 possible)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad