Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XVI

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Haven't seen it yet, but what an impressive win for Denis over #26 seeded Etcheverry on clay no less. Let's hope he can string a few more victories together in Madrid.

Reactions: MsMeow

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
A spectacular Carlos Alcaraz gave the Darwin Branch treatment to Shevchenko 2 and 1. With his first serve nullified by the clay, Alexander was without a single weapon to withstand the onslaught from Carlos. Two of the three games that Alcaraz lost came as the result of self-inflicted service breaks when he was trying to hit highlight reel shots rather than simply close out the points. Awesome display, though.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Maybe it is time to stop assuming that Jack Draper is going to turn into a great player. He has been healthy for a while now, and he seems permanently stuck in the 20 to 50 range of the rankings. Maybe he is the latest iteration of Seb Korda. He looks like a force on the court, but the reality is invariably short of the expectation.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Is it raining in Madrid? I won't be home for at least an hour and really want to watch Leylah and Ons, as well as Rafa and De Minaur.

Edit: Nadal won in straights, Leylah lost in 3 and Felix won 0 and 4.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I thought Nadal really delivered a message today. He played very good tactical tennis today, lots of loopy, slow, shallow balls with a wide margin of error going over the net punctuated by the odd howitzer to keep Demon off balance and force him to generate his own pace. Rafa is making the best of what he has to work with, and that could grow match by match.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I thought Seyboth Wild/Alcaraz might be an interesting match and it was for six games. Then the roof caved in on the Brazilian for eight games, before a sloppy conclusion led to 3 and 3 win for Alcaraz. Some brilliant tennis from Carlos mixed in with a few low tennis IQ moments. Madrid must be hoping for a Carlos/Rafa a final, and I hope they get it.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Denis is playing Zverev now, down a set and a break, but there are a lot of positives in his game that weren't there a year ago. Most of them are due to his temper being controlled and not constantly engaging with his box.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Cachin, tight as a drum, choking badly, and playing with the passion of a sedated hedgehog, somehow managed to take the second set breaker after failing to serve out the set twice and blowing a 4-1 lead on serve in the breaker. Nadal still should win the match but he is hitting with very little pace.

Rafa wins it 6-3 in the third set. With Sinner in his path eventually, the road forward doesn't look too promising in Madrid.

Last edited:
Reactions: MsMeow

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Nadal looks better than Barcelona that's for sure but he's still a ways from being believable as a contender for RG title. In his current physical state Alcaraz, Sinner, Zverev, Djokovic, Tsitsipas, Ruud, etc. would all make quick work of him. But this is Rafa on clay we're talking about and RG is still a month away so he could ramp up by then. Either way, a very successful Madrid so far all things considered.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Both Sinner and Alcaraz are forced to third sets by Khachanov and Struff, respectively. Maybe God is a Nadal fan.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Lehecka, gaining more confidence as the match progressed, played some excellent tennis and provided a very clean kill. Rafa says goodbye to Madrid, but he seemed in great spirits. Hard to imagine this version of him, improved as he is, challenging for another French Open crown, though. There just might not be another gear left to find.

Reactions: Tuggy

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Lehecka, gaining more confidence as the match progressed, played some excellent tennis and provided a very clean kill. Rafa says goodbye to Madrid, but he seemed in great spirits. Hard to imagine this version of him, improved as he is, challenging for another French Open crown, though. There just might not be another gear left to find.
I agree, I didn't see a lot of the match but he isn't the same player as he was a couple of years ago.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Wow, that was pretty close to peek Felix. So much to love about his play in that match. 21 for 24 at net; good, judicious use of drop shots and touch volleys; dictating play with plus ones from his forehand; outgunning Ruud badly in points over nine shots; and especially making Ruud, a player who avoids backhands with real zeal, hit tons of backhands, and then hitting to the open court when Caspar tried to run around them or just got pulled off court. Really good to see this level of play and tactics from Felix.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Wow, that was pretty close to peek Felix. So much to love about his play in that match. 21 for 24 at net; good, judicious use of drop shots and touch volleys; dictating play with plus ones from his forehand; outgunning Ruud badly in points over nine shots; and especially making Ruud, a player who avoids backhands with real zeal, hit tons of backhands, and then hitting to the open court when Caspar tried to run around them or just got pulled off court. Really good to see this level of play and tactics from Felix.
Just finished watching and in addition to what you said, the announcers made a comment that his play was instinctual. He plays so much better when he isn't playing like a bit of a robot.

Suddenly, he and Denis are coming to life together.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I swear the minute Carlos steps into Spain he gets tight and his tennis IQ drops 20 points.

But nothing should take away from Rublev's magnificent performance in his three set win. How beautifully he held form during the last two sets, breaking at the first opportunity in each set and then calmly serving it out from there. One of the best matches that I have seen him play.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Fritz wins a tough three setter against Cerundolo. After winning an easy first set, the match seemed to slowly slipping away from Taylor as Cerundolo's pretty groundstrokes became more effective. But out of the blue in the eight game of the deciding set, Fritz got a break opportunity and capitalized on it.

Going to be some interesting, if unexpected, semifinals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad