Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nice win for Milos, though obviously he should beat a clay courter on grass. Major test for Fed coming up.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Despite a first service woes for Fed, a very even first set, but then Nick takes the subsequent breaker going away, 7-2. Let's face it, if time has any meaning, Kyrgios playing as well as he is should win this match.

2nd set: Nick starts the set oozing confidence, a little brash even, and then Roger breaks him, 2-1. There's a moral to the story in there somewhere....Roger gets a second break, 5-2 with Nick trying to figure out what happened all of a sudden....no resistance from Nick, 6-2.

3rd set: Nick goes back to minding his p's and q's, 3 all....one of those tie breakers that seemed inevitable, the sort that Nick loses against Fed....and once again Roger pulls the rabbit out of the hat. Nick went off to a 2-0 lead and then Roger just ever so incrementally fought back finally taking the breaker, 7-5.

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Tomic drops a close first set to Gasquet, serves for the second set but fails. and then fights back to take the breaker--definitely not the usual Tomic outcome.

3rd set: Gasquet off to 2-love lead...and pulls away for a 6-2 win. Tomic seems to be moving in the right direction at the moment, though--hope he keeps it up and learns to persevere through the bumps.

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Felix into the final in Lyon. So a win away from his first title defense.

He'll face a French qualifier in the final. Felix should be the heavy favorite.

Reactions: kihei

Cruor

May 12, 2012
When in 2012 Roger announced he would like to play the Rio 2016 games, I remember thinking that it was completely outlandish. Tennis players were done after the age of 30.

And here he is at 36 probably as good as ever, what a crazy dude. Hats off!

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
So big news...

Murray is still in the draw for Queens next week so looks like he is making his comeback. And he draws...Kyrgios in round 1. Tough draw back for Andy.

Shapovalov and Raonic also playing there.

Federer in Halle defending the title. He'll need to win (I think) to keep #1.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Roger with a 4-2 lead over Raonic....just got here but Federer looks to be cruising....wow, Roger looks flawless, 6-4.

2nd set: on serve 5-4 as Milos is banging that big one in there with regularity....of course, pretty much the same could be said for Roger, 5 all....no surprise, a tie breaker....Roger makes it look easy, 7-3.

Well, that was impressive. Milos played well, too. What ya gonna do?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
FAA loses the opening set 7-6.. Man, Felix has absolutely none of Shapovalov's zest for the chase. I only saw the last half of that set but that was workmanlike at best.

2nd set: the malaise continues as Felix breaks and immediately gives it back with a very lacklustre game, 1 all....on serve 4-3. Felix's game is totally passive at the moment. When he is not hitting errors himself, he just keeps the ball in play, hoping Tatlot makes a mistake. That best-since-Nole skill set is absolutely nowhere in evidence. He looks ordinary....it gets worse as Felix loses his serve at love, 5-3 with Tatlot to serve for the match....Talbot gets tight and can't close the deal. No fist pump from Felix, though, 5-4....Tatlot totally off the rails now, 6-5 Felix to serve....and he holds for the set and finally shows some emotion. Not much, but at least he's alive in there.

3rd set: Tatlot off to a bad start, 3-love, losing serve twice. His carriage has definitely turned back into a pumpkin....Felix gives one back, 3-1....but Tatlot in tatters, 5-1....Felix takes the set 6-2.

FAA lucky to defend his title successfully. Poor Tatlot: I think you could say that this match was a classic example of an athlete snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Shapovalov on the schedule tomorrow for Queens. He's up first against Muller.
Why does every tournament in existence put Shapovalov on first thing in the day? This is becoming weird.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Shapovalov goes down in two TB's against Muller.

Denis isn't getting much grass practice before Wimbledon.
9-7 and 8-6--that's a loss that will sting for awhile. But Muller is no fun on grass; he's a potential danger to anybody if he catches the wave right.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
9-7 and 8-6--that's a loss that will sting for awhile. But Muller is no fun on grass; he's a potential danger to anybody if he catches the wave right.

Yeah, he's a savvy grass vet. It's a tough matchup for Denis who is inconsistent at best on grass at the moment.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Raonic out of Queens with a muscle strain. For crying out loud!!!

Raonic: "Unfortunately I have sustained a strain to my right pectoral muscle. This happened on the second to last point of the match, and as a result I am not able to continue with the tournament. I'm really disappointed as I was playing well and I love this tournament."

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Kudla wins the first set 6-3 over a struggling Tsitsipas who is still adjusting to this grass thing. Volleys are especially problematic at the moment. Stefanos can make them but he just can't place them, leading to some predictable results.

2nd set: Yeah, low skidding balls are not yet Tsitsipas' cup of tea, but he hung in there as best he could for awhile. Kudla takes the match 6-4, off to a nice payday for him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->