Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I really hate Sportsnet coverage. The split screen is especially annoying as the only have the games, and also do not indicate who is serving.

Not to mention their commentating crew. (And don't get me started on Arash Madani and his 'sideline stories')

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Wow...apparently Raonic suffered a 'minor injury' in practice and was able to get his matched moved from tomorrow night to Wednesday night.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Schnur/Gasquet in a marathon match. Schnur looking good tonight. It's been a great year for him so far.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
The Schnur match went 3 hours and they played 243 points. Schnur had 4 SPs in the first set as well, they were all on Gasquet's serve though.

Schnur also let a couple of balls go in the first game he was broken in the the 3rd set that he had a chance on.

After getting broken in his first service game of the first it was all Polansky including a run of 8 straight games from down 3-5 in the first to leading the 2nd 4-0.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Very respectable defeat for Abanda against Safarova, 4-4. Abanda has really smooth strokes that look heavy to hit. But she has a lot of limitations including a poor second serve and a surprising slow first step moving laterally on the baseline (or she is just not very good at anticipating the opponent's ball placement yet or a little of both). But she came back in each set from a break down to deuce the set, and it was her inconsistency more than anything that Safarova did that cost Abanda the match. She had several sure points lined up down the line that clipped the top of the net. Had she landed most of those it might have been a different outcome. Definitely very raw, but those groundstrokes sure look lethal when she is in rhythm.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Arash Madani shows his lack of tennis knowledge again. Polansky will not match his career high unless he beats Federer, he drops 90 points this week (last year's Gatineu win), he's dropping in the rankings next week(again unless he beats Federer).

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Shapovalov gets the break on his 3rd break point and leads 3-1 now. bit of a loose game from Shapovalov and he's broken right back. Dutra Silva breaks again and will serve for the set at 5-4. Dutra Silva takes the first set 6-4.

Shapovalov holds after being down 0-30 and then 15-40. They are on serve 3-2. At 5-all Denis starts off with a 0-40 hole, saves all 3 of those, plus one more to hold and go up 6-5.

Last edited:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I just got in for the 2nd set breaker. Denis is really impressive. His footwork/speed aren't great but what I love is he goes over top his backhand in instances where anyone else would slice. It's such a beautiful shot.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Today I saw two one sided matches, and a dandy two setter.

Svitolina was a little lucky to win the first set breaker and then fell behind 4-love in the second set to Kasatkina who to that point had outplayed her. But then Svitolina raised her game and swept past Kasatkina the last six games of the set. With their matching tennis gear, the two played like clones for most of the match.

Timea Babos looked sharp knocking off local hero 17-year-old Bianca Vanessa Andreescu, 4 and 1. Andreescu displayed some powerful groundstrokes and a great deal of poise for her age. But she will be in tough with a ton of talented youngsters on the women's side. Not sure that she has anything, outside of a potential killer forehand, that will distinguish her from the pack in the long run. Too soon to tell.

Finally, an almost shockingly slim Caroline Wozniacki had an easy time of it with Alexandrova, another talented young player, 3 and love. Caroline still wimps her second serve in too often, but she is playing with a lot more power and baseline aggression than I saw from her two years ago. Safe to say all the baby fat is gone; she looked very fit and sleekly confident.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
LTTP:

I can not believe Federer won #19 with me laid up and incapacitated. Incredible. Two majors this year coming off a 6 month lay-off... remarkable. The only way Wimbledon would've had a better ending is if Venus had won as well. A remarkable year for tennis, all things considered with Serena x1, Nadal x1, Fed x2 winning slams and Venus making two finals as well. I checked out his draw and saw that the heavens aligned perfectly for him and it seems the final was over in less than 90 minutes but I'm still gonna find a recording of it and enjoy it.

Hopefully he can go for the trifecta in New York. That'd be something else. I was always hoping he'd get to 20 but never in my wildest dreams thought it possible at the beginning of this year.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
LTTP:

I can not believe Federer won #19 with me laid up and incapacitated. Incredible. Two majors this year coming off a 6 month lay-off... remarkable. The only way Wimbledon would've had a better ending is if Venus had won as well. A remarkable year for tennis, all things considered with Serena x1, Nadal x1, Fed x2 winning slams and Venus making two finals as well. I checked out his draw and saw that the heavens aligned perfectly for him and it seems the final was over in less than 90 minutes but I'm still gonna find a recording of it and enjoy it.

Hopefully he can go for the trifecta in New York. That'd be something else. I was always hoping he'd get to 20 but never in my wildest dreams thought it possible at the beginning of this year.
Glad to hear that you are over whatever it was that ailed you. Enjoy:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Polansky loses badly to Roger, 2 and 1. Midway through the second set Roger seemed to get bored and very sloppy, practically in exhibition mode (there was one glorious running forehand volley hit crosscourt at a thousand miles an hour to savour) but it didn't make any difference.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Polansky loses badly to Roger, 2 and 1. Midway through the second set Roger seemed to get bored and very sloppy, practically in exhibition mode (there was one glorious running forehand volley hit crosscourt at a thousand miles an hour to savour) but it didn't make any difference.

Not really sure people expected any different an outcome. Polansky lost a few years ago to Roger in Toronto 6-2 6-0.

incineratorz

Jan 9, 2012
great start from shapovalov but he's gonna feel the pressure soon enough.

Del potro is just warming up.

the kid has talent tho

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Shapovalov often seems to me like a big bouncy Canadian kid having the time of his life.

And another break and he is serving for the set. And holds at love. Wow.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Denis breaks back again. During the change over, Juan Martin looks like he would rather be somewhere else. He's got that "It's going to be a long day" look, back on serve 2-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->