OT: All-Purpose Sports Thread V (NFL, MLB, etc.)

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
New thread. Last posts:

I'd go after Brandon Moss. Can play 1B (and apparently some OF), can mash RHP (one of our weaknesses), and might not be all that expensive.

Sign him + Reddick and a couple of relievers, and I'm happy with the off-season. This Gurriel signing has been a nice surprise too.

What about Eric Thames? Absolutely tore it up in Korea the last few seasons, former Jay, has something to prove. I like him over Moss based on K's alone - Moss would definitely bring some pop, but his 140+ K's last year in 120-something games ... I guess he wouldn't be out of place with the 2016 Jays! :) Thames has also player OF and 1B. VERY unlikely his success in Korea translates into similar numbers in MLB, but if he could put up 20HRs, and keep the SOs down he'd be a decent addition.

I was big on Thames back when he used to compete with Snider for an OF spot! It certainly is an intriguing proposition. Seems there's more and more Korean position players making the move to MLB, so maybe the numbers do translate to some extent these days. As usual, it all depends on how much it would cost to take that chance.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Max Verstappen did something that proves why F1 drivers are the best, incredible car control skills in a monsoon...what a save!

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
A couple of baseball comments
1. It's crazy how easily they just signed a new CBA. The nhl/nhlpa could learn a thing or two about this

2. Jays sign Pearce today - a useful utility player but more of a bench guy - he plays in like 50-60% of games usually. He gets $12.5MM / 2 Years. Its crazy how much of a disparity there is between NHL and other sports.
A guy like that in hockey would be lucky to get $1.5MM and if he did we would complain about it 24/7

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
A couple of baseball comments
1. It's crazy how easily they just signed a new CBA. The nhl/nhlpa could learn a thing or two about this

2. Jays sign Pearce today - a useful utility player but more of a bench guy - he plays in like 50-60% of games usually. He gets $12.5MM / 2 Years. Its crazy how much of a disparity there is between NHL and other sports.
A guy like that in hockey would be lucky to get $1.5MM and if he did we would complain about it 24/7

Baseball contracts always wow me, especially since the primary sport I (we?) follow is hockey. The numbers are just staggering sometimes - 200 million dollar contracts.

lol @ Cam Newton and the Panthers. He didn't wear a tie on game day as per the Panthers' dress code, because he was "on the road for a week" and didn't have a shirt. He wore a turtleneck instead. Apparently no one told him that stores in every city sell shirts.

dm_161205_NFL_Cam_on_tie_Panthers.jpg

Coach made him sit out the first play of the game, where the backup promptly threw an interception :laugh:

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Jays out of the running for Edwin.

Not happy, but I get it.

Best case is we get Dexter Fowler to lead off.

1. Fowler (RF)
2. Donaldson (3B)
3. Morales (DH)
4. Tulo (SS)
5. Martin (C)
6. Travis (2B)
7. Smoak/Pearce (1B)
8. Upton (LF)
9. Pillar (CF)

Meh

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

Not happy, but I get it.

1. Fowler (RF)
2. Donaldson (3B)
3. Morales (DH)
4. Tulo (SS)
5. Martin (C)
6. Travis (2B)
7. Smoak/Pearce (1B)
8. Upton (LF)
9. Pillar (CF)

Meh

Ya, I get it too, but with the amount of money Rogers has, you really gotta shake you head at losing a star of Edwin's calibre. If this was 5 years ago, fine, but the Jays will be getting insane amounts of gate an merchandise revenue; they had the money to go to 100 million. The optics of it aren't good.

Obviously every athlete will chase the money, and they have every right to, but it sucks that Edwin didn't even entertain the idea of a hometown discount and to stay with a winning ball club.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Ya, I get it too, but with the amount of money Rogers has, you really gotta shake you head at losing a star of Edwin's calibre. If this was 5 years ago, fine, but the Jays will be getting insane amounts of gate an merchandise revenue; they had the money to go to 100 million. The optics of it aren't good.

Obviously every athlete will chase the money, and they have every right to, but it sucks that Edwin didn't even entertain the idea of a hometown discount and to stay with a winning ball club.

I think the question many have is will this be a winning team the players they have let walk and the ones they have signed its odd.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I think the question many have is will this be a winning team the players they have let walk and the ones they have signed its odd.

They are trying to bring more balance to the order of course.. I really don't think Bautista is a very big loss; he hits a clutch dinger here and there, but this year his fielding skills, not to mention contact batting skills, have really declined. Saunders and his K's won't be a big loss either.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
They are trying to bring more balance to the order of course.. I really don't think Bautista is a very big loss; he hits a clutch dinger here and there, but this year his fielding skills, not to mention contact batting skills, have really declined. Saunders and his K's won't be a big loss either.

Sure but that might mean they go from a high scoring team to one that depends on 2-1 types games.

DrunkUncleDenis' reply (because he hit the wrong button):
And that's ok if the Jays have the defence in place to do it. Martin is tremendous, and they have all-stars at 3rd and short; Travis is the weak link of the infielders in terms of defence.

Honestly, playing playoff-style ball instead of swinging for the fences each game might actually be good for this team. They have the starting pitching to play that style too.

So, they still need a lead-off guy and bullpen help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON

It is odd but its still a work in progress I guess.
I was really concerned last year when they let Price walk and signed Happ and Estrada, turns out they knew what they were doing.

I love Edwin and I really wanted him back, but playing devils advocate if Morales is 75% as good and costs 50% as much, its probably a good play long term. Plus hes a switch hitter, younger, etc.

If this team didn't have so many holes to fill (ie bullpen) Edwin would be a no brainer but at this point I guess we just have to wait and see

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Baseball plays 162 games (81 home games) in stadiums that sell more tickets than hockey (more seats).

Even if everything else was equal, ticket sales alone is more revenue. More revenue = more money for players.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Baseball plays 162 games (81 home games) in stadiums that sell more tickets than hockey (more seats).

Even if everything else was equal, ticket sales alone is more revenue. More revenue = more money for players.

There's also a much wider disparity between young (controllable) players and older players. Its a more old school 'pay your dues' thing. The NHL on the other hand has basically gotten rid of bridge contracts. Its interesting how they are different like that.

Re: EE - very interested to see where he goes. Baltimore is a definite possibility. Also really interested to see what he gets and if its more or less than the 80/4 Toronto had offered and he declined.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Some pretty interesting things going down at the winter meetings. Re: the Jays, Bautista is once again a possibility. They are also gunning for Fowler, with Revere the apparent backup plan.

With EE, the word is that the Jays were the ones to offer him the most lucrative deal (we all know the 4x80 offer). It appears his agent overplayed his hand; he can't even get 3x60 right now. Rangers look like the top destination for EE right now.

It's hard to get mad at the Jays front office on this one. They offered the biggest deal, Edwin wanted to "see what was out there", unknowing that this was the biggest offer he'd get in the last few days, and the Jays moved on. Considering EE said he loved TO and wanted to stay, all he had to do was sign. But he chose to explore the FA market, and now might potentially get burned.

Frustrating sequence of events for both sides.

Edit: I guess I'd be ok with Batts and Fowler. I'd like to see Navarro signed as the backup catcher. That could be a balanced lineup.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Not happy, but I get it.

1. Fowler (RF)
2. Donaldson (3B)
3. Morales (DH)
4. Tulo (SS)
5. Martin (C)
6. Travis (2B)
7. Smoak/Pearce (1B)
8. Upton (LF)
9. Pillar (CF)

Meh

Not very scary .. they need another spray hitter that can hit for average and move runners

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

Im in the camp that EE should fire his agent. I bet he would have signed with TO if not for his agent/the union pushing for a big deal. Poor guy (in a relative sense).

Last edited:

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014

Im in the camp that EE should fire his agent. I bet he would have signed with TO if not for his agent/the union pushing for a big deal. Poor guy (in a relative sense).

There was talk the Jays were not going to even make him a offer then they got all types of heats from fans maybe that changed there minds.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
You know what would be crazy? If it is all a smoke screen and they end up signing EE anyway.

The two signings they have made shouldn't hinder a massive signing like EE. But it might result in the inability to sign both Fowler and EE now. Ah well.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
So in the past few weeks the NBA and MLB both approved new CBA's without much issue at all.

I really hope the NHL can learn from these guys.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
So in the past few weeks the NBA and MLB both approved new CBA's without much issue at all.

I really hope the NHL can learn from these guys.

Ya, given how quietly the other leagues figured out their agreements, the NHL will look real bad if another strike looms.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Canada Day on PGA tour

First day at the Farmers Insurance Open

2nd Adam Hadwin -6 66
Tied 3rd Brad Fritsch -5 67
Tied 8th Graham Delaet -4 68
Tied 19th Nick Tayloe -3 69
Tied 32nd Mackenzie Hughes -2 70

PS Tiger Woods tied 133rd +4 76

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009