Prospect Info: All-Purpose Prospect Thread v12.0: Dozen Point Oh

Status
Not open for further replies.

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO
His production, which will taper off, is not impressive for a player his age and size in the CHL's worst league.
What else does your crystal ball tell you? Any lotto numbers or sports bets I should look into?

Whats with this age thing? He turned 18 in may. I guess I could point out how he’s playing in a new league, on a new team, in a country he’s not familiar, where everyone speaks a language he likely has limited familiarity with, and while his family and comfort zone is 1000s of miles away. Oh and he just happens to be leading his team in goals and points, I’ll be damned.
Maybe he does taper off but I think its more likely he gets better the longer he plays in the league. Lets see how he does with krebs when he returns..

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I find it hilarious that he loves Strome and hates Teply because the knock on both guys is their skating.
Teply doesn't have generational IQ or playmaking. Far from it. Strome was also a better skater at the same age and has continued to improve since.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Teply doesn't have generational IQ or playmaking. Far from it. Strome was also a better skater at the same age and has continued to improve since.

But Teply can't? This is where you look stupid. Teply has strong hockey skills and IQ but lacks skating. No one is saying he is a generational player (which Strome is not even close to) or even a top line talent but people are not ignoring his talent and potential like you are.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
But Teply can't? This is where you look stupid. Teply has strong hockey skills and IQ but lacks skating.
Teply has poor IQ. This is where you look stupid.
He is not better than Boqvist.
Remember how much faith you had in Forsling and I kept telling you he was a hack? Where is he now? I'll trust my judgement over yours.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
His production, which will taper off, is not impressive for a player his age and size in the CHL's worst league.
What stats do you draw this "worst league" statement from?

""Of the 71 players selected, the Western Hockey League led the way with 28 players, followed by the Ontario Hockey League at 25 and the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League at 18.""

Source:71 CHL Players Selected in 2019 NHL Draft – CHL

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Teply has poor IQ. This is where you look stupid.

He doesn't so again you look stupid. His skating was why he dropped. His IQ and other skills are there (raw but there).
Remember how much faith you had in Forsling and I kept telling you he was a hack? Where is he now? I'll trust my judgement over yours.

Boqvist is better at hockey than Ian Mitchell (whom I am a fan of).

Forsling's injuries have held him back but the ability to be a middle pairing D is still there. He has showcased this for periods in the NHL. You also said he had a noodle for a shot and that was just blatantly wrong. Development is a tricky thing.

You never played the game but you trust your instincts? You don't have instincts. You have other people's scouting reports.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
What stats do you draw this "worst league" statement from?

""Of the 71 players selected, the Western Hockey League led the way with 28 players, followed by the Ontario Hockey League at 25 and the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League at 18.""

Source:71 CHL Players Selected in 2019 NHL Draft – CHL
Quality > Quantity
He doesn't so again you look stupid. His skating was why he dropped. His IQ and other skills are there (raw but there).

Forsling's injuries have held him back but the ability to be a middle pairing D is still there. He has showcased this for periods in the NHL. You also said he had a noodle for a shot and that was just blatantly wrong.

You never played the game but you trust your instincts? You don't have instincts. You have other people's scouting reports.
Don't need to play the game to know the game. That's some old boys club way of thinking right there.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Don't need to play the game to know the game. That's some old boys club way of thinking right there.

Knowing the game and instincts are different. I never said you don't know the game, I said you don't have instincts.

Watching game allows you to know it. Playing the game gives you instincts.

You look stupid when you let your bias remove your inability to admit you are wrong about prospects (we all do when we do this). We are all wrong at some point here and there. This has been my main point the whole time (and not that you are hockey stupid) but you just refuse to grasp that.

Last edited:

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Quality > Quantity

""The league produced two of the top five forwards chosen counting Dach and Dylan Cozens, who was selected at seventh overall by the Buffalo Sabres. On defence, Vancouver Giants blue-liner Bowen Byram was the first rearguard off the board at fourth overall to the Colorado Avalanche""

Same article

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Quality > Quantity

Then you should be a WHL fan after the last draft.

First Round (13 CHL Players):

3. Kirby Dach (Saskatoon Blades) – Chicago Blackhawks
4. Bowen Byram (Vancouver Giants) – Colorado Avalanche
7. Dylan Cozens (Lethbridge Hurricanes) – Buffalo Sabres
17. Peyton Krebs (Winnipeg ICE) – Vegas Golden Knights
18. Thomas Harley (Mississauga Steelheads) – Dallas Stars
19. Lassi Thomson (Kelowna Rockets) – Ottawa Senators
21. Samuel Poulin (Sherbrooke Phoenix) – Pittsburgh Penguins
24. Philip Tomasino (Niagara IceDogs) – Nashville Predators
25. Connor McMichael (London Knights) – Washington Capitals
26. Jakob Pelletier (Moncton Wildcats) – Calgary Flames
27. Nolan Foote (Kelowna Rockets) – Tampa Bay Lightning
28. Ryan Suzuki (Barrie Colts) – Carolina Hurricanes
29. Brayden Tracey (Moose Jaw Warriors) – Anaheim Ducks

Second Round (15 CHL Players):
33. Arthur Kaliyev (Hamilton Bulldogs) – Los Angeles Kings
37. Mads Sogaard (Medicine Hat Tigers) – Ottawa Senators
38. Raphael Lavoie (Halifax Mooseheads) – Edmonton Oil Kings
41. Kaedan Korczak (Kelowna Rockets) – Vegas Golden Knights
44. Jamieson Rees (Sarnia Sting) – Carolina Hurricanes
48. Artemi Kniazev (Chicoutimi Sagueneens) – San Jose Sharks
49. Matthew Robertson (Edmonton Oil Kings) – New York Rangers
52. Vladislav Kolyachonok (Flint Firebirds) – Florida Panthers
53. Nicholas Robertson (Peterborough Petes) – Toronto Maple Leafs
55. Dillon Hamaliuk (Kelowna Rockets) – San Jose Sharks
56. Brett Leason (Prince Albert Raiders) – Washington Capitals
57. Samuel Bolduc (Blainville-Boisbriand Armada) – New York Islanders
59. Hunter Jones (Peterborough Petes) – Minnesota Wild
61. Nikita Okhotyuk (Ottawa 67’s) – New Jersey Devils
62. Nikita Alexandrov (Charlottetown Islanders) – St. Louis Blues

Talent fluctuates with each age groups. It happens here in the US as well between MI, MN, and Mass with Chicago and the west coast starting to catchup. This year was a 10 year low for Canadians being drafted but does this mean hockey in Canada is getting worse? No it means that hockey is improving globally at a macro level. The situation in Canada is similar as there has been major improvements out west and they are catching up the the eastern half of Canada.

Last edited:
Reactions: Idionym

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
There's a reason other fans of teams weren't too happy with us getting Teply. Kid definitely has talent. Good puck skills, great goal scorer, etc. I trust @Teemu's evaluation of him as a player.

Oh.. and speaking of sample sizes, Ethan Keppen has 3 points in 4 games with Flint in his 3rd OHL season getting outscored by 17 year old Evan Vierling.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
The best Q teams could obliterate any WHL team.
I actually think that’s true but obliterate is a bit hyperbolic. Doesn’t change that as a whole the WHL has more talent and a better league. Q has some really truly bad teams. WHL maybe has 1 or 2 organizations that are just garbage.

It’s not as bad as it was in the 2000s though

Reactions: Giovi and BK

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
the Q is the worst of the 3 leagues overall and has been for some time...it isn't even close. the Q has a tough time getting American kids where the OHL lands plenty of theme each year. the WHL gets US kids as well like Seth Jones and Bellows - kids out of Minny, Colorado, Texas, Cali, etc...

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
The best Q teams could obliterate any WHL team.

Exaggerating is not helping you prove you point.

I will say that the Q has won the last two Memorial Cups but in the past 6 years the OHL has won 3, Q has won 2, and WHL has won 1. I think teams in the Q are more willing to trade assets and load up at the "TD".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->