Prospect Info: All-Purpose Prospect Thread v11.0: The D Man Cometh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
FYI....remember that report that Dallas had signed Tye Felhaber the 20 yr old overage who was going at over a goal a game at the time of the Apia rent signing?Well I kept looking for an NHL registered contract but so far ...nothing good telling us he has one ..Usually Elite Prospects shows who owns the rights if under contract and when the contract expires..but ..Nothing good. ...was it just a false rumour by the guy who covers the Stars for The Athletic? Is he then still a free agent?Or was there merely a verbal understand g he would sign with them at some later date?If there was no consideration paid there is no Co tract and other teams should be able to sign him..

But somethinks strange has happened ..that report came out in early February ..I think on the 2nd...at least it was in the newspapers on the 2nd ..you can still see this on Google.

But it talks hit a snag and he is back on the market then a lot of teams can still try to sign him..Perhaps it just is a timing delay with Dallas though..because as I recall in a discussion about Felhaber and his NHL future on TSN 1200 radio in Ottawa ,the radio sports talk guys said that he would wait till March 1st, because signing after that gives him better contract terms (not sure if this means contract length,higher minimums ,or something more on bonuses? So maybe he has verbally agree to sign with Dallas on March 1st? We shall find out then..but if there was some fizzle in the talks with Dallas leading to an erroneous report of signing back in early February,then he would be looking at offers of other teams for a March 1st or March 2nd signing (not sure if the better Co tract terms begin on Match 1st or only after that date?

Anyway..he may not be "off the market" after all!

However ..a very strange thing has happened since that report that hit the news on February 2nd..In the games the 67s played since,his goal production pace which was ahead of Games Played,has tailed off to where now after last night's game he has 53 goals xin 56 games xplyed...He haa95 points ..so his goal pace slowed in the last 2 weeks and a bit though he has been up in his assists in that span. ..

He has been on fire the whole season upto that pre-mature signing announcement but in the last X2 weeks or so his goals pace e slowed and he does not look as dangerous...Do not know if this is just an invetiable cold streak or something else. IN this span the guys the 67s brought in from trades made to thecdealinebin January ...over a month ago ,Kyle Maximovich and Lucas Chiodo have gone on fire and are filling the bet and piling up points and so has 2nd line Center Sascha Chemelviski after a slow fist half for him *he started Co ING out of his sort of disappointing year back at the World Juniors where he was one of the best of Team USA players. ..Anyway..after that 67s top line ofTye Felhaber Marco Rossi and Austen Keating dominated the league through to mid December when Rossi got hurt but Felhaber and Keating still pumped in the points till he got back mid -January ,and they continued hot as the top line until Felhaber stopped scoring goaks in the weeks since February 2nd ...but Marco Rossi picked up his scoring pace to make up for it. ..we now on the last 5-6 games see the top line hardly needed I scoring as it has come from the 2nd and 3rd lines..Last night Rossi scored Ottawa's 8th goal and Felhaber assayed. .but it was hardly needed as Naxomovich had a hatty,Chemelviski had 2 and Chiodo also scores and piled up points..

It now looks like a deep scoring threat team where scoring can come from any line..

But still ..it would be kinda fun if Felhaber if used with more than a goal a hame..so I hope line 1 gets back to what it did before the announcement he had signed with Dallas. .he was a key driver for his line and his team for so long this season ...it would be a shame if he got cold for the final games till playoffs start in a few weeks.

Anyway...just thought I would post what was going on with Felhaber and the strange case of that seemingly pre-mature report of his signing back in early February.
Obsession:

noun
1. psychiatry
a persistent idea or impulse that continually forces its way into consciousness, often associated with anxiety and mental illness

Reactions: AmericanDream

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Kurashev and Mitchell have really slowed down since the WJC, point production wise.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
True...Beaudin had 4 secondary assists. ..not sure how to break down his impressive assists totals this season (maybe some poster here can find that data?) ...but what is clear is that with Comtois and Veleno their 2 forward stars and a supporting cast of other high score g forwards like Nicholas Guay and Gregorc McLeod,the Drmmondville Voltigeurs can light the lamp prodigiously. ..this means Beaudin merely being on the I've with any of these 4 high scoring forwards is going to collect assists.

Of course the 2 superstars= Comtois and Veleno are drafted by NHL teams ...but Nicholas Guay (19 yrs okd) and Gregor McLeod (20 years okd) are not drafted ..both currently have produced points in the mod 70s to date and could fish around 90 points each if they remain hot in the remaining ganes to finish the regular season... They would seem to be possible targets to sign ...McLeod of course would be a free agent. ..Guay might still be draft eligible (?)..but the point is obviously Beaudin is collecting assists on some of their goals or play making set-ups for others ..So he could already have good chemistry with them..Maybe Stan has guts scouting them? By following Beaudin'so development,obviously our scouting and development staff have seen a lot of Guay and McLeod thus season ..so maybe we will be considering them for the pipeline?

I admit...have not seen Drumondville play this season so cannot give you my opinion on these forwards...I merely am observing their production stats this season. .they too are obviously benefiting from the drink forces of Comtois and Veleno..but still you can also see that Beaudin assists in a lot of the production of Guay and McLeod too.

Maybe a poster here who follows the Q in more focus than me can present more info on Guay and McLeod and whether or not they might be good targets for the pipeline or not.

Last edited:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So took another look. ..looks like Guay still draft eligible as 19 yr old...

Considering Brett Leason also 19, according to various ranking could go anywhere 17th-38th I would say Guay goes late second to mid-3rd round ..

A 3rd possible 19 yr old as yet undrated having a very good season is Jeremy McKenna of Monroe QMJHL...

Here are the upto date stats for these 3 19 yr Olds still draft eligible:

Brett Leason Prince Albert WHL
6'5 198 C/RW

45 GP 33g 45a 78pts +50

Nicholas Guay Drummondville QMJHL
5' 11 185 RW
52 GP 35g 42a 78pts +44

Jeremy McKenna Moncton QMJHL
5'10 174
56 GP 38g 44a 82pts + 13

And a 4th poisible 19 yr old to target for the draft is:

Austen Keating Ottawa OHL
6'0 171 RW

57 GP 20g 57a 78pts +51

Last edited:

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Boqvist with 2 more apples today. He is top 7 in scoring but has played 7-15 games less than everyone.
Que nonsensical Fiddy post claiming hes the product of superior team mates and we should draft them, in 5..4..3..

Reactions: swerdnase

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Que nonsensical Fiddy post claiming hes the product of superior team mates and we should draft them, in 5..4..3..

Haha. London is a really solid team but Boqvist is just a really good player. I am really excited he is in our system and I was shocked we got him.

Hot take: I think he would be even better on our PP right now than Gus.

Reactions: Giovi

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Haha. London is a really solid team but Boqvist is just a really good player. I am really excited he is in our system and I was shocked we got him.

If he’s good enough for the team next year then Gus is 100% expendable. I guess he would be anyways since his contract is up in 2020 and Boqvist should be ready by then.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
If he’s good enough for the team next year then Gus is 100% expendable. I guess he would be anyways since his contract is up in 2020 and Boqvist should be ready by then.
Boqvist still doesn't make Gus 100% expendable. we still have 2 power play units, Boqvist can grow on the second unit while he learns the game. show me a rookie dman currently that is not only playing #1 pp unit but is as dominating at it as Gus??? Dahlin has fluctuated all year on both units, but he hasn't come close to Gus's level of production. we need to pump the brakes here a bit as keeping Gus only allows us to not have to force Boqvist into a situation he will have too much pressure and possibly some trouble adjusting to next year.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009

Agreed that the Hawks are lucky to have him as a prospect. Not sure hed be better than Gus, but it looms as an excellent 1-2 punch.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I never said Beaudoin was the product only of superior team-mates..he obviously has ability especially as a big assists producer...but it is also true that it helps a lot that his team has forwards that score a lot ...you can argue chicken vs. egg as to which is the primary driver of Beaudin's point totals...his own impact on the scoring or the support he gets to finish from the deep offensive gifts of several forwards on his team.

You could make the same case for Charles Edourd D'Astous who leads the Q in defenseman points ...He is a year older at age 20...undrated. ..he benefits from a talented buck of forwards too from his team Rimoiski ...again you could argue chicken vs. egg as to whether he is more responsible for impacting their scoring g or vice versa.

However there are 2 big differences on looking at the impact of D'Astous vs. Beaudin for their teams...have not broken down primary vs. Secondary assists in each case...but as far as Goal scoring g...D'Astous is much better ...and since everyone is going gaga o er Boqvist's goal scoring we clearly feel most hockey fans value that more than assists by d-men which could be more affected by the help from forwards who finish whereas goals directly scored by d-men is a highly prized achievement worthy of "special" impact .. It is just the way it is...

The 2nd difference between D'Astous and Beaudin (apart from the 2 yr age difference) is that D'Astous is 6'2 200 and Beaudin is 5'11 175...

Now I have not followed D'Astous at all ...but noticing he is in drafted and especially his goal scoring g totals for 3 straight seasons now,I wonder why he has not been drafted..maybe skating is an issue but last season he was +33 and this season is at +33 already ...Beaudin is at +50 this season in less games ..

I am not knocking Beaudin at all..just thinking it could be nice if we had Both of them in the pipeline. . BUT again ..I have not seen D'Astous play ..but given his totals the last 3 seasons ,especially the goal scoring g ability...and the size...maybe we could target him as a free agent?

He shoots left...so I think must be a LD like Beaudin ..

But IF our scouts doubt he could translate to the NHL (because of maybe skating? ) then that would preclude any interest..

Skating is no problem with Beaudin...Size and strength and not top end goal scoring are the issues.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I never said Beaudoin was the product only of superior team-mates..he obviously has ability especially as a big assists producer...but it is also true that it helps a lot that his team has forwards that score a lot ...you can argue chicken vs. egg as to which is the primary driver of Beaudin's point totals...his own impact on the scoring or the support he gets to finish from the deep offensive gifts of several forwards on his team.

You could make the same case for Charles Edourd D'Astous who leads the Q in defenseman points ...He is a year older at age 20...undrated. ..he benefits from a talented buck of forwards too from his team Rimoiski ...again you could argue chicken vs. egg as to whether he is more responsible for impacting their scoring g or vice versa.

However there are 2 big differences on looking at the impact of D'Astous vs. Beaudin for their teams...have not broken down primary vs. Secondary assists in each case...but as far as Goal scoring g...D'Astous is much better ...and since everyone is going gaga o er Boqvist's goal scoring we clearly feel most hockey fans value that more than assists by d-men which could be more affected by the help from forwards who finish whereas goals directly scored by d-men is a highly prized achievement worthy of "special" impact .. It is just the way it is...

The 2nd difference between D'Astous and Beaudin (apart from the 2 yr age difference) is that D'Astous is 6'2 200 and Beaudin is 5'11 175...

Now I have not followed D'Astous at all ...but noticing he is in drafted and especially his goal scoring g totals for 3 straight seasons now,I wonder why he has not been drafted..maybe skating is an issue but last season he was +33 and this season is at +33 already ...Beaudin is at +50 this season in less games ..

I am not knocking Beaudin at all..just thinking it could be nice if we had Both of them in the pipeline. . BUT again ..I have not seen D'Astous play ..but given his totals the last 3 seasons ,especially the goal scoring g ability...and the size...maybe we could target him as a free agent?

He shoots left...so I think must be a LD like Beaudin ..

But IF our scouts doubt he could translate to the NHL (because of maybe skating? ) then that would preclude any interest..

Skating is no problem with Beaudin...Size and strength and not top end goal scoring are the issues.

You basically did and have multiple times. You shit on anyone under 6' blindly (Boqvist is 6' and you still shit on him). Lay off the bath salts, eat less people, use grammerly, and open your eyes.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Does anyone know what is up with Niklas Norden. ..after he was out with an injury for awhile,I think he played a few games again with the HIFK Liga squad...then I think they sent him down again to the Jr. A Team of HIFK and played a few games there...but I have not seen his total games played for EITHER the Men's team in the Liga or for the Jr.A squad move for quite a few weeks now..Did he get I jure again? Is it recurring concussion symptoms or did he get some other injury. ..because his stays have stayed the same including games playedfor quite awhile now.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I am not against Boqvist at all. . I am tempering expectations on his NHL ETA and impact = how long till he is "ready"...same for Beaudin..

Some on these boards are crazy if they expect 1 or both of these guys to roll in next season and take a spot and make a real difference..Not happen on.

Let me remind everyone ...Thomas Chabot drafted in 2015 ...that is 4 drafts ago .. he is now 22...did not play in NHL (except force game eatlier) and made a "ready" impact till last season! That means he was 20 turning 21 when they gave him a "show" spot because he had paid his dues developing. ..more strength plus AHL experience ..

So Boqvist and Beaudoin are going to need time to continue getting g stronger...more weight. ..and more experience...and probably some AHL experience before they are ready to play NHLERS in the show.

Boqvist is still only 18 ...Beaudoin older at 19 but it will be at least 2 more seasons of development before they are ready for prime time in the show ..you cannot rush this process.
In most cases it is 3 -4 years after being drafted before they are NHL ready ..a few are ready a year earlier at 20 ..but for most 21 or 23 before they can handle NHL men well enough.

So I merely am saying at this stage both Boqvist and Beaudin need more development before they get their shot to help the Hawks..

I am not saying it is impossible small or smallish d-men in height and or weight can never be good enough to impact in the NHL...Keith was not very weighty at his 6'0 when he came into the Hawks lineup from college that he left early..but he s was pressed into learning on the job and did not get his weight up for a few years after they inserted him ..and you remember he and even the much bigger Seabrook has 2 rough years learning on the job ....before they really were ready to handle NHL pros and not get dominated.

So all I am saying is that do not expect miracles from their insertions for a few years yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad