All Purpose Podcast/Shoot Interview Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2011
Austin was smart not to work with Hogan at WMX8 anyways, he would have gotten **** on by the Toronto crowd like The Rock did, probably. Maybe not AS bad, but the crowd would have still been pro-Hogan.

RE: Punk, pretty sure he was removed from the opening video package on Smackdown tonight... take that as you will. I was watching some Punk interviews from last year's Wrestlemania and it had a vibe that if he wasn't main eventing it's not worth it, from a personal standpoint and business standpoint (said "I don't know how much harder I can work" in regards to main eventing Wrestlemania).

Yeah but hogan/austin is a match that should of happened at some point. it probably could've had a chance to get the highest buyrate ever

CS85

Tell 'em, Mean Gene!
Jun 27, 2011
Champaign, IL
www.bearsfansonline.com
I thought JR was shaky at first because he had never done it before, but once Steve came on they settled into rhythm and the show went just fine. Nobody ever comes out of the box swinging w/ podcasts, no matter what their experience. JR's show will be fantastic. I personally can't wait for his first solo show.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
you must not listen to very many podcasts then

pretty much every one I listen to have been pretty bad in the beginning

I thought jericho and austin were fine. Not fantastic, but fine.

JR just kinda starts yelling his point across, Which is an instant "turn off" to podcasts IMO.

Fuzzy Bunny

Mar 5, 2007
It's a bit of a novel but it was a great podcast

Notes from old Jericho podcast with Chavo:

-Talking about WCW how they had a fun, supportive group of themselves, Eddie, Benoit, Malenko, Regal, Mysterio.

- Take a shot at the hierarchy within WCW.
Chavo: " The top 5 guys, 8 guys...Not only would you not work with them, you even wouldn't talk with them"

Jericho: "Or even see them"

Chavo: "We were the hungry ones, we wanted to be a bigger part of the company to work with these top guys. The Savages, Nashs', the Halls but they wouldn't have anything to do with us."

Jericho: "Where ever you came in is where you stayed"

=======
Chavo: There were two types of guys when I got in. There were the guys that liked my family that protected me (Stan Hansen, Haku mentioned) and there were guys that didn't like my family and would try to bury us (specifically pointed out Terry Taylor) "

Chris Jericho: "I remember when Bret Hart came in to WCW, Terry (Taylor) came in and gave him a finish one day and when he left the room Bret was sitting there confused and said 'Wait a second, are you telling me Red Rooster is calling the shots now?" :laugh:
=======

Jericho- On WCW Worldwide, for those of you who watched that, 50 or 60 percent of the guys were drunk. There were over 100 workers there."

======

Jericho on being booked to fight Chavo week-after-week on WCW:"I was a heel and Chavo baby face... it was the same finish (Liontamer) every time...and I was the heel, how did having a baby face tapout clean help anyone!?"

They go on to say how they were so tired of the same booking they snuck in a prop (A Pepe replica on an aluminum bat) and went against the booking for the match. Nobody talked to them about it and they put in on the following shows recap.
"Can you imagine doing that in WWE? You'd be fired" - Jericho

Right at about the 13 minute mark:

======

Some of the guys played an innocent game of tag with an orange, sneaking it into peoples bags, etc. Jericho was with a member of Sweden's womens soccer team in his hotel room when Chavo knocked on the hotel door. The naked female answered and Chavo had her hand deliver the orange to Jericho who was laying in bed :laugh:

======

Chavo said that when him and Eddie were kids they didn't imagine as kids they were the WWE Champions but they fantasized about being Tag Team champions. When Eddie won the title he had to wait for the cameras to get off Eddie so he could congratulate him since he was a heel at the time.

======

Chavo says (and Jericho agrees with him) that pills - vicodin - and not steroids, alcohol, cocaine is what are killing wrestlers and creating these heart related deaths.

======

Eddie & Chavo almost got into a fight with a drunk Michael Hayes the night before Eddie died.

Eddie, Chavo, and Benoit were suppose to meet up that morning to train.

Chavo on having to break the news to Benoit after he called asking where they were: "I never heard somebody wail like that...this deep, deep moan. Like I just punched him in the stomach and stole his soul. He was just yelling and screaming 'No, no, no."

Chavo told Vince that if they cancelled the show Eddie would be pissed off.

======

On Chris Benoit:

Make mention that before Eddie passed several of Chris' friends passed away: Black Cat, Johnny Grunge, Ray Traylor (Big Bossman)

Jericho: "I remember when Ray died Chris said 'I can't take this anymore' and shortly after Eddie passed away"

The last weekend of Chris Benoits life:

Chavo said he and Benoit always co-ordinated after landing for a show. He gets a call from Benoit (this would be after his wife & son were already dead) and says he had a really bad weekend, says his wife and kids are sick... that he missed his flight and he'll be there.

Chavo said it didn't seem right, called back, and asked if everything was alright. Benoit said it was ok he just had a really bad weekend and had to take his wife and kids to the hospital. Says that is the last time he talked to him. At 5 am the day of the PPV he and Scott Armstrong received the same text from Chis & Nancy's cell phone re: dogs outside and garage door is open.

Chavo showed the text to Johnny Ace, who sent the Atlanta police out to Benoit's place. They called a full meeting at the ring, Chavo didn't know until he walked out and approached a crying Ric Flair who broke the news to him.

Jericho had the news broken to him by an actor that was suppose to be on that Raw for Vince's funeral. He was driving and had to pull over to the side of the road and balled. He now believes it was the brain damage and Jericho mentions he will have Chris Nowitzki on the podcast.

=====

Jericho says that watching the Benoit Tribute Show he believes Regal had a bad feeling that what really took place had happened given Regal wasn't gushing with praise like the others:

Last edited:

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
Chris Jericho: "I remember when Bret Hart came in to WCW, Terry (Taylor) came in and gave him a finish one day and when he left the room Bret was sitting there confused and said 'Wait a second, are you telling me Red Rooster is calling the shots now?" :laugh:

Hands down, the funniest part of the interview.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Really looking forward to Jericho's talk with Chris Nowinski, but that Chavo interview was amazing.

I used to watch WCW Worldwide on Saturday nights, and I wish I would've known then that everyone was drunk. :laugh:

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
Just listened to Regal and Austin. Interesting stuff but I assume there will be another one down the road as they clearly did not get eveything they wanted to.

The one thing that really caught my attention was this exchange in regards to Savage vs Steamboat at WM3

Regal: This is a weird one for me.

Austin: And I know why.

Regal: I loved it...... until I talked to Ricky about it.

Austin: Right. Okay. Enough said. Because I know.

Regal: Yeah.

Austin: Yeah.

Regal: It really put me off............... I still love it.

Austin: If you just watch it now for what it is..........for wrestling fans' standards, it's one of the greatest matches of all-time.

Regal: Incredible.

Austin: But what we're talking about on the inside... what we're talking about...... Uhh...

Really made me wonder what this could have been about.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Just listened to Regal and Austin. Interesting stuff but I assume there will be another one down the road as they clearly did not get eveything they wanted to.

The one thing that really caught my attention was this exchange in regards to Savage vs Steamboat at WM3

Really made me wonder what this could have been about.

Weird. Did Steamboat and Savage not get along or something? I know I've heard that Savage was completely OCD while preparing for that match. Wonder what the deal was?

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
Weird. Did Steamboat and Savage not get along or something? I know I've heard that Savage was completely OCD while preparing for that match. Wonder what the deal was?

I've heard two things on the matter over the years:

1. Steamboat and Savage rehearsed the match numerous times down at Savage's place in Florida in the lead up. Every single spot in the match.

2. Steamboat was punished for "stealing the show" away from Hogan-Andre with the great match, and was forced to drop the belt to Honky 9 weeks later. I don't buy this at all because it would seem that Steamboat asked for time off not long after WM3 which led to him giving up the title so soon.

No idea where Austin and Regal were going on that, unless it was about how much of an insane perfectionist Savage was.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I've heard two things on the matter over the years:

1. Steamboat and Savage rehearsed the match numerous times down at Savage's place in Florida in the lead up. Every single spot in the match.

2. Steamboat was punished for "stealing the show" away from Hogan-Andre with the great match, and was forced to drop the belt to Honky 9 weeks later. I don't buy this at all because it would seem that Steamboat asked for time off not long after WM3 which led to him giving up the title so soon.

No idea where Austin and Regal were going on that, unless it was about how much of an insane perfectionist Savage was.

I've heard all that too, but it seems like Austin and Regal were talking about the actual match itself, like Steamboat has a different view on it and nobody wants to make it public.

Just seems really weird.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
I've heard all that too, but it seems like Austin and Regal were talking about the actual match itself, like Steamboat has a different view on it and nobody wants to make it public.

Just seems really weird.

Maybe Steamboat doesn't think it was quite as great as everyone makes it out to be? The guy did have a program two years later with Ric Flair that will stand forever against anything.

This is from a review via RSPW of a shoot interview with Steamboat. Here's the part about Savage:

At this time, Steamboat addresses his matches against Randy Savage. Steamboat said that Savage was a detailed guy and would spend a lot of time with you before the match and then give you some offense if he liked you but if he did not, he would go out there and take everything he could. He then said that Savage was detailed to the point that he would write down each step and for step one would actually go ahead and write "lockup," which Steamboat thought was ridiculous as every wrestler would start out by doing that. Steamboat said that he had a spiral bound notebook with each step written out, with as much as 285 steps. They would meet in their hotel rooms and go over the matches the night before. He said that while Andre and Hogan sold the show, he told Savage that they should go out and steal the show. He mentioned that they had 22 nearfalls in a sixteen minute match that the fans were going nuts for the whole time.

Steamboat contrasted it with the Flair program where they would go about an hour and only know the finish going in and would call the whole match on the fly.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Punk is another guy who won't talk to the guy he's working with later in the show and pretty much forces themselves to call the match on the fly.

Matches called on the fly seem better, since you go with the feel off the crowd.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Just listened to Jericho's Podcast with Nattie Neidhart. Definitely interesting, and it makes me wonder why Nattie is subjected to hanging out with Khali and not challenging for the Divas title more.

Toward the end, Jericho took a call asking about his short-lived angle with Goldberg in WCW. Jericho said it started off as a comedy bit where Jericho was told he was going to wrestle Goldberg but instead, a Goldberg-dwarf came out and he proceeded to beat the crap out of him. Jericho saw Goldberg at the airport shortly after and Goldberg said "Hope it was worth it" thinking it was all Jericho's idea to make fun of Goldberg. Jericho tried explaining he was just doing what he was told but Goldberg wasn't having it. So, Jericho started doing the "Jericho Personal Security" bit with Ralphus and calling out Goldberg when he knew he wasn't there. Eventually they told Jericho he was going to wrestle Goldberg on Nitro/Thunder and lose in a minute long squash. Jericho said no, thinking people would pay to see Goldberg kick his ass on PPV rather than giving it away in a squash match on TV. Apparently, Goldberg, Bischoff and even Hogan were trying to get Jericho to just take the squash. Hogan even went in to talk with Jericho and Jericho told him his idea of a payoff and said Hogan was starting to see things his way. So, they were eventually going to do the PPV match, but Jericho said that Goldberg called in and "no-showed" because he wanted to go hunting that weekend and the match never happened.

I knew some of this from watching Jericho's documentary, but I never knew that Goldberg was so sensitive. :help:

NYGBleedBlueNYR

Mar 16, 2010
I think Goldberg was a big lug who just didn't get the wrestling industry and what a heel's job was.

Hall & Nash(who aren't always objective) have talked about Goldberg being a giant mark before. Basically said that he thought winning every time was only way to get over & never wanted to do favors.

NYGBleedBlueNYR

Mar 16, 2010
Isn't there a story about Goldberg shoot attacking Jericho backstage & Jericho basically making him look stupid?

NYGBleedBlueNYR

Mar 16, 2010
I listened to JR's pod today w Austin.

I could listen to those to talk for days.

JR's long history in the biz should make for some great pods.

We are so lucky to get this stuff for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad