All Purpose Oliver Bjorkstrand thread

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think it is horribly bad coaching when Riley Nash is put out there game after game to no good effect while Bjork sits. A Hannikeien (sp) , Sedlak, Bjork line should be given a shot. It cannot be any worse than the current 4th line.
Say what you will about Nash's hopeless inability to score; he at least handles things defensively. That's why he keeps getting minutes.

That said, yeah, I'd also appreciate a replacement, because giving him that kind of time is IMO overcompensating for the "the kids don't backcheck" thing.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I have followed Oliver's career ever since he joined the Portland Winterhawks. He plays a skill game and is a big offensive threat. His downside is he is not big and doesn't check much. Last year he got a chance when people were injured so he stayed on one or two lines and excelled. As people got healthy Torts started putting their old lines back together and even though Ollies time stayed the same he constantly bounced around lines and line mates. This year he hasten stayed on the same line for a whole game exept to sit on the bench. He doesn't fit Torts coaching style. If you hear him talk about him he is trying to change his style of play and that is not the way Ollie plays. So I'm hoping that since he doesn't fit Torts style they will trade him soon so he can get back this style of play and start having fun again.

Thoughts?
I'm on board with much of your post. In conclusion, you suggest a trade. I've been a fan of Bjorkstrand and would prefer to see him successful in Columbus, but that seems unlikely so I think a trade is best for both the Jackets and Bjork.

From a value standpoint, I think some team(s) will value him higher than a press box player which returns more value than his use. Or he could be attractively packaged - possibly with the bundle Panarin fetches if traded - for a (3rd team) flip to a rebuilding team.

As for Bjork, he gets a new chance in a new environment. Whether it's the checking issue or Bjork not responding to Torts coaching (or communication?) style, I see a player who has regressed and seems like damaged goods here. I think that old cliche "a change of scenery" would give him a needed refresh. In the end, maybe we'll find out - or confirm for some here - he isn't good enough to be an NHLer (though I don't think that's the case).

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Just spitballing. But if LA retains salary would anyone here consider Kovalchuk for Bjorkstrand? Or is this asking for the same sort of issue with an older more expensive player

Reactions: thebus88

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Thoughts?

We've got a redundancy problem at RW.

I don't think it's a coaching style per se - Bjorkstrand was fine last year. Bjorky's checking (defensive coverage) isn't horrible either, I don't think. One guess for this year is that the club has just refocused on fast transition / fast forecheck, and a lot of emotion / snarl. There's not a lot of scope for a reed-thin sniper to shine in that kind of game. Riley Nash is another guy who is not fitting with that kind of game.

And Bjorkstrand, most importantly, just hasn't been getting himself open or in dangerous areas. When he's on the ice he's frequently in the offensive zone, but it's not adding up to anything dangerous.

I think he absolutely should be available for a trade. But it's not that he can't bounce back, and it's only sort of a style clash issue. If the Jackets were short on RW snipers he would still be in the lineup and eventually play his way out of it. But the Jackets don't need him. Right now the three top RWs are on pace for 53, 35, and 28 goals. Good luck with that Bjorkstrand. Supposing Duclair moves to LW, it's still no easy task.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Just spitballing. But if LA retains salary would anyone here consider Kovalchuk for Bjorkstrand? Or is this asking for the same sort of issue with an older more expensive player

I havent followed closely, but things are really bad in LA. I wouldn't be surprised if the discontent grows and Kovalchuk's price ends up much lower than Bjorkstrand. That and what's the point? I'd like him on the PP but we have better overall players.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I think a lot of it just has to do with the CURRENT "fit" on the roster. Duclair's signing/start has been a BIG hit to Bjork's (and the literally unworthy Milano's) chances and numbers. And as much as some people don't like what they look like on the ice, ALL of Jenner, Foligno and Anderson are much more impactful overall on the ice.

So the question is WHO's minutes or spot does he take. Its safe to say that throwing a "skill" guy (Bjork) with 2 of Sedlak, Nash Hannikainen, doesn't/ hasn't worked this year. But throwing 3 "grinders" out there has been working.

I still think he should be playing, though. But, again, you cant throw the opposite of the Jen/And/Fol line out there in Duclair, Wennberg, Bjork because they get worked most of the time they are on the ice. And injury to a guy higher up in the lineup and I think Bjork starts getting 15+ minutes easy.

Do you take Duclair out? Do you drop Wennberg to Nash's spot, with PP and PK time, and go Duclair-Dubinsky-Bjork? Dubinsky has been going to the net and opening u space for guys in the offensive zone. Not to mention him winning faceoffs is GAINING possession of the puck. Which is what's best for Duclair and Bjork.

I don't think Hannikainen has reached immunity from coming out either. Sedlak and Nash can PK and take faceoffs.

Reactions: cslebn and Viqsi

onetimerguy

Jul 17, 2018
What could CBJ have gotten in a trade last off season for Milano and Bjork? 14 goals in limited time and 40 points with no clear role. Value for both has to be gone by now. Perhaps they are now throw in players for a bigger deal.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I think a lot of it just has to do with the CURRENT "fit" on the roster. Duclair's signing/start has been a BIG hit to Bjork's (and the literally unworthy Milano's) chances and numbers. And as much as some people don't like what they look like on the ice, ALL of Jenner, Foligno and Anderson are much more impactful overall on the ice.

So the question is WHO's minutes or spot does he take. Its safe to say that throwing a "skill" guy (Bjork) with 2 of Sedlak, Nash Hannikainen, doesn't/ hasn't worked this year. But throwing 3 "grinders" out there has been working.

I still think he should be playing, though. But, again, you cant throw the opposite of the Jen/And/Fol line out there in Duclair, Wennberg, Bjork because they get worked most of the time they are on the ice. And injury to a guy higher up in the lineup and I think Bjork starts getting 15+ minutes easy.

Do you take Duclair out? Do you drop Wennberg to Nash's spot, with PP and PK time, and go Duclair-Dubinsky-Bjork? Dubinsky has been going to the net and opening u space for guys in the offensive zone. Not to mention him winning faceoffs is GAINING possession of the puck. Which is what's best for Duclair and Bjork.

I don't think Hannikainen has reached immunity from coming out either. Sedlak and Nash can PK and take faceoffs.

Try to get some of last year's magic back and I'd probably try something like:
Duc - Jenner - Andy
Fligs - Wennie - Bjork
Dubie - Sediscat/Nash - Beer

Assuming we leave Dalpe in the minors. :naughty:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Bjorkstrand is not waiver exempt, correct? He could be stuck for a while. For his sake as much as anything, I hope Jarmo is listening for trades. Boston and Edmonton are two teams that are desperate for RW right now.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I thought he was very dynamic against the Wild. Probably his best game in a long time. He really added a strong vibe to the Dubie-Wennberg line which really needs an offensive dynamic to it.

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

onetimerguy

Jul 17, 2018
I thought he was very dynamic against the Wild. Probably his best game in a long time. He really added a strong vibe to the Dubie-Wennberg line which really needs an offensive dynamic to it.
So he goes from getting some first line time back to the 4th line????? And that's after cube and beerman go on the or????​

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Our team is much better when OB is in a position to do well. IMO he has been one of our most consistent forwards, and one of our best players yet he only has 2 points in 11 games. How can we get this guy going?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Our team is much better when OB is in a position to do well. IMO he has been one of our most consistent forwards, and one of our best players yet he only has 2 points in 11 games. How can we get this guy going?

I think Oliver's going. Dude's flying actually, creating chances and preventing them. The puck will go in if he sticks with it.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I thought Bjork was one of our most dangerous forwards in the beginning of the season. As of the last week or so, he has gone back to last years lackadaisical Bjorkstrand.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I thought Bjork was one of our most dangerous forwards in the beginning of the season. As of the last week or so, he has gone back to last years lackadaisical Bjorkstrand.
I don't agree he's been less aggressive, but the line has been less effective since they switched Foligno and Nyquist (which coincides with your timetable).

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
Bjorkstrand has been snakebitten this season. Apart from that his game has been a huuuge improvement from earlier years it seems. I have not seen too many games this season. What do you guys think? Afterall, eyetest doesnt always match stats

114D5D91-46F1-4F16-93A7-256859A1E334.png

Last edited:

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Playing great, I guess you could say that he has been "snakebitten" this year, as there were chances early in the year that he wasn't finishing and also chances he wasn't getting. Although just "recently" has he been given the opportunity he has deserved for quite a bit. Fits well with Dubois. Both guys are LEGIT 1st line players and have legitimate ELITE skills at important aspects of the game.

Bjorkstrands shot (nearly all aspects) really is top-something, leaguewide. The NHL. Not WHL, KHL, Sweden, World Championships, best in the world type shit. He's just going to continue to add strength to himself and his shot for the next few years.

Also what cant be ignored is how he is playing "away" from the puck. He's quite effective as a forechecker, and his defensive awareness and reads are good. Could improve his skating/agility a bit, which just adds to his potential, but his skating isn't a question mark or holding him back in any way. He also has changed the way he plays with the puck. Much improved ability to take contact and control the puck for extended periods.

Also, to keep it simple, he isn't playing this way in spite of John Tortorella.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Playing great, I guess you could say that he has been "snakebitten" this year, as there were chances early in the year that he wasn't finishing and also chances he wasn't getting. Although just "recently" has he been given the opportunity he has deserved for quite a bit. Fits well with Dubois. Both guys are LEGIT 1st line players and have legitimate ELITE skills at important aspects of the game.

Bjorkstrands shot (nearly all aspects) really is top-something, leaguewide. The NHL. Not WHL, KHL, Sweden, World Championships, best in the world type ****. He's just going to continue to add strength to himself and his shot for the next few years.

Also what cant be ignored is how he is playing "away" from the puck. He's quite effective as a forechecker, and his defensive awareness and reads are good. Could improve his skating/agility a bit, which just adds to his potential, but his skating isn't a question mark or holding him back in any way. He also has changed the way he plays with the puck. Much improved ability to take contact and control the puck for extended periods.

Also, to keep it simple, he isn't playing this way in spite of John Tortorella.

Agreed. I will add that I think he's overthinking his shot a little right now and that's contributing to what looks like being "snakebit." But yeah he's really come into his own.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad