All Purpose Oliver Bjorkstrand thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Blue Jackets' started by onetimerguy, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Viqsi

Viqsi where we're going we don't need draft picks

Jackets 1st, Preds 2nd
    Say what you will about Nash's hopeless inability to score; he at least handles things defensively. That's why he keeps getting minutes.

That said, yeah, I'd also appreciate a replacement, because giving him that kind of time is IMO overcompensating for the "the kids don't backcheck" thing.

2. MoeBartoli

MoeBartoli Chex-to-Jax

I'm on board with much of your post. In conclusion, you suggest a trade. I've been a fan of Bjorkstrand and would prefer to see him successful in Columbus, but that seems unlikely so I think a trade is best for both the Jackets and Bjork.

From a value standpoint, I think some team(s) will value him higher than a press box player which returns more value than his use. Or he could be attractively packaged - possibly with the bundle Panarin fetches if traded - for a (3rd team) flip to a rebuilding team.

As for Bjork, he gets a new chance in a new environment. Whether it's the checking issue or Bjork not responding to Torts coaching (or communication?) style, I see a player who has regressed and seems like damaged goods here. I think that old cliche "a change of scenery" would give him a needed refresh. In the end, maybe we'll find out - or confirm for some here - he isn't good enough to be an NHLer (though I don't think that's the case).

Cyclones Rock and EspenK like this.
  3. CBJWennberg10

CBJWennberg10 “Playoff Locks”

Just spitballing. But if LA retains salary would anyone here consider Kovalchuk for Bjorkstrand? Or is this asking for the same sort of issue with an older more expensive player

4. major major

major major Registered User

We've got a redundancy problem at RW.

I don't think it's a coaching style per se - Bjorkstrand was fine last year. Bjorky's checking (defensive coverage) isn't horrible either, I don't think. One guess for this year is that the club has just refocused on fast transition / fast forecheck, and a lot of emotion / snarl. There's not a lot of scope for a reed-thin sniper to shine in that kind of game. Riley Nash is another guy who is not fitting with that kind of game.

And Bjorkstrand, most importantly, just hasn't been getting himself open or in dangerous areas. When he's on the ice he's frequently in the offensive zone, but it's not adding up to anything dangerous.

I think he absolutely should be available for a trade. But it's not that he can't bounce back, and it's only sort of a style clash issue. If the Jackets were short on RW snipers he would still be in the lineup and eventually play his way out of it. But the Jackets don't need him. Right now the three top RWs are on pace for 53, 35, and 28 goals. Good luck with that Bjorkstrand. Supposing Duclair moves to LW, it's still no easy task.

thebus88 likes this.
  5. major major

I havent followed closely, but things are really bad in LA. I wouldn't be surprised if the discontent grows and Kovalchuk's price ends up much lower than Bjorkstrand. That and what's the point? I'd like him on the PP but we have better overall players.

6. thebus88

thebus88 18/19 Blue Jackets- Sustain the Unsustainability

I think a lot of it just has to do with the CURRENT "fit" on the roster. Duclair's signing/start has been a BIG hit to Bjork's (and the literally unworthy Milano's) chances and numbers. And as much as some people don't like what they look like on the ice, ALL of Jenner, Foligno and Anderson are much more impactful overall on the ice.

So the question is WHO's minutes or spot does he take. Its safe to say that throwing a "skill" guy (Bjork) with 2 of Sedlak, Nash Hannikainen, doesn't/ hasn't worked this year. But throwing 3 "grinders" out there has been working.

I still think he should be playing, though. But, again, you cant throw the opposite of the Jen/And/Fol line out there in Duclair, Wennberg, Bjork because they get worked most of the time they are on the ice. And injury to a guy higher up in the lineup and I think Bjork starts getting 15+ minutes easy.

Do you take Duclair out? Do you drop Wennberg to Nash's spot, with PP and PK time, and go Duclair-Dubinsky-Bjork? Dubinsky has been going to the net and opening u space for guys in the offensive zone. Not to mention him winning faceoffs is GAINING possession of the puck. Which is what's best for Duclair and Bjork.

I don't think Hannikainen has reached immunity from coming out either. Sedlak and Nash can PK and take faceoffs.

cslebn and Viqsi like this.
  7. Byrral

Byrral Registered User

Free Bjorkstrand,

MoeBartoli likes this.
  8. onetimerguy

onetimerguy Registered User

What could CBJ have gotten in a trade last off season for Milano and Bjork? 14 goals in limited time and 40 points with no clear role. Value for both has to be gone by now. Perhaps they are now throw in players for a bigger deal.

9. cslebn

cslebn Registered User

Try to get some of last year's magic back and I'd probably try something like:
    Duc - Jenner - Andy
    Fligs - Wennie - Bjork
    Dubie - Sediscat/Nash - Beer

Assuming we leave Dalpe in the minors. :naughty:

10. Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock Registered User

While I'm no fan of how Torts has handled OB, goal scoring hasn't been an issue for the CBJ.

Until it becomes one OB will be feasting on press box freebies

11. major major

Bjorkstrand is not waiver exempt, correct? He could be stuck for a while. For his sake as much as anything, I hope Jarmo is listening for trades. Boston and Edmonton are two teams that are desperate for RW right now.

12. CBJFan827

CBJFan827 Eklund's journalistic quality > Aaron Portzline's

13. EDM

EDM Registered User

I thought he was very dynamic against the Wild. Probably his best game in a long time. He really added a strong vibe to the Dubie-Wennberg line which really needs an offensive dynamic to it.

PanarinDangles9 likes this.
  14. onetimerguy

onetimerguy Registered User

So he goes from getting some first line time back to the 4th line????? And that's after cube and beerman go on the or???? ​