All Purpose Oliver Bjorkstrand thread

onetimerguy

Jul 17, 2018
I like the Wennberg post, so I thought this would be a good subject as well. Oliver preseason 4 games - 14:54 ave ice time - 12 shots - 4 goals. Regular season 4 games - 10:20 ave time on ice - 4 shots - 0 goals. Opinions - what is going on with this kid?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I like the Wennberg post, so I thought this would be a good subject as well. Oliver preseason 4 games - 14:54 ave ice time - 12 shots - 4 goals. Regular season 4 games - 10:20 ave time on ice - 4 shots - 0 goals. Opinions - what is going on with this kid?

Every shift I watch them Milano gives the puck away. Bjorkstrand actually had his wheels going last night but Torts couldn't resist shortening the bench. They only got about 5 minutes. Bjorkstrand has not been one of our more effective wingers so far this year. But last night some of those wingers looked exhausted, you'd think he could have slid Bjorky up the lineup for some shifts?

Reactions: thebus88

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Very concerned for his development. He was pretty good last year, but even with that it feels like there was more to give. So far this year he hasn't been given the minutes to succeed and he hasn't exactly pushed for more time (like Duclair has). Pretty concerning, and we really need the guy.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Very concerned for his development. He was pretty good last year, but even with that it feels like there was more to give. So far this year he hasn't been given the minutes to succeed and he hasn't exactly pushed for more time (like Duclair has). Pretty concerning, and we really need the guy.

Good post. I don't think the concern with Bjorkstand is a monolith. He's a skilled player who it feels like has more to give. We don't see the things that the coaches see on which to base a decision about playing time. I've been on Bjork to insinuate himself more into the play. But yeah, he needs to play more to do that, too perhaps. Why doesn't he make his presence felt more?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
His lack of development (although he is on a CAM track) is concerning but more so is the fact that Torts has moved him into Milano toi territory. I don't see how he improves much on that line with minimal ice time.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Last year Bjork was one of the most productive players in tangible results for the first 2/3 of the season. His intangibles (style), however, fell short of Torts expectations. Several other players scored higher in the intangibles Torts value though yielded lower or much lower tangible results.

Before harping on defensive deficiencies, I'd remind you that during this period Bjork had one of the better +/- numbers and I believe good Corsi numbers. (Guilty of being too lazy to verify)

My point? I don't think Bjork plays a style of game that is aligned with Torts expectations and thus isn't going to be put in meaningful positions for long enough periods to be an effective Blue Jacket.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I am not at all concerned about Bjorkstrand except for one thing.

Last season he was the most productive forward outside of the top line. I expect him to be streaky given where he is in his career and who he is usually matched with. However, he can play at this level and will eventually start to create and capitalize on scoring chances.

The one thing I am concerned about is how Duclair came in from outside of the organization and has essentially leapfrogged him for 2nd line and top pp minutes in 4 games. But that's it. And that kind of depth and flexibility to not overburden young guys is likely a good thing rather than a bad thing.

Reactions: thebus88

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Last year Bjork was one of the most productive players in tangible results for the first 2/3 of the season. His intangibles (style), however, fell short of Torts expectations. Several other players scored higher in the intangibles Torts value though yielded lower or much lower tangible results.

Before harping on defensive deficiencies, I'd remind you that during this period Bjork had one of the better +/- numbers and I believe good Corsi numbers. (Guilty of being too lazy to verify)

My point? I don't think Bjork plays a style of game that is aligned with Torts expectations and thus isn't going to be put in meaningful positions for long enough periods to be an effective Blue Jacket.

You're recollection of Bjorkstrand's stats is correct. But Bjorkstrand played more and more as the season went on and his scoring rate dropped. He was playing a lot, and I don't buy the idea that Torts messed up his playstyle. A little physicality now and then doesn't change his approach to scoring.

This year he started on the second line and has clearly been outplayed by several other wingers. My complaint with Torts is not that he elevated those wingers above Bjorkstrand, it's the setup of the Milano-Sedlak-Bjorkstrand line. Torts just doesn't have the discipline/patience to roll 4 lines, and that's going to wear out our forwards in general and be bad for the careers of whoever is stuck on the 4th line.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
For me, I've never quite seen the potential upside that others (including the scouts) see in Bjorky. Doesn't mean the potential upside is not there, just that my eye test says "he's ok, not great, he is what he is." But I'm not the expert scout.

However, I also have some inclination to defend both Bjorky's performance and his TOI in the first 4 games in this way. With Dubinsky injured, Bjorky has ended up with Sedlak as his C (instead of Nash (or Dubinsky) the past 2 games. He's had got Milano on the other side for all 4 games. Torts doesn't trust Milano, and I've not seen Milano do anything that would cause Torts to trust him. With Sedlak not being much of threat either, Bjorky's TOI seems more a function of being stapled to certain linemates who are stapled to the bench, rather than Bjorky being stapled to the bench. With Nash as the C for that line, I think Torts was (understandably) more willing to throw Bjorky and them out there more often, even in the 3rd (stats may prove me wrong). But with Sedlak as the C, Torts sees no reason to put that line on the ice much, and hardly at all in the 3rd period unless CBJ gets down 3 goals.

A line change for Bjorky might do wonders for him, but what would that do for CBJ overall? Who do you move "down" to play with Milano? While you could argue that Andy, Boone or Foligno on the wing could maybe help the current Sedlak line without taking too much away from the production of their respective current lines, my guess is that Anderson, Boone or Foligno then indirectly get stapled to the bench (at least in 5x5 situations) in close games. Torts won't do that.

Do you move Jenner to C to help Bjorky's development now and get Torts to roll 4 lines for then next 4-6 weeks until Dubinsky gets back? Sedlak isn't a negative, but he's not going to cause Torts to play that line. Jenner or Nash (depending upon how you slot them at C) might be able to do that. Especially if Sedlak moves to W and Milano is out.

Or do you not worry about Bjorky's development right now, and simply wait for Dubinsky to get back so that the C lineup slides everyone down?
And/or do you simply hope that either Milano has an epiphany (not likely imo) or that management decides that Milano isn't the answer and comes up with another option for that spot?

As I keep analyzing this, I actually think Wennberg and Bjorky could mesh well - but not with Milano on the same line. Not going after Wennberg, I'm not suggesting that Wennberg move "down" or that Bjorky move "up". Wennberg's another thread. I don't care if Wennberg/Bjorky combo is part of a 2nd, 3rd or 4th line - it just needs a quality player on the other wing who meshes well with Bjorky and who has earned some trust from Torts. It isn't Milano, imo.
Sorry, maybe I should have started the All Purpose Milano thread....

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

He was fourth on the team in points among forwards last year with limited ice time. Why Torts can't just put him out there for 13-15 minutes per game early in a season is beyond me. Just let him sink or swim. If he's not a good match for Torts and he just won't play him, then trade him.

I don't know what to think about OB at this point. Is he a 20 goals guy (assuming PP time) or a "tweener" who isn't meant long term for the NHL? Only one way to find out and that's to play him.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
The bottom line is, "we" have to find a way to get him open and/or able to get his shot of WAY MORE often.

I think A LOT of people are to "blame" for this. Torts, Wennberg, Milano, Duclair, and yes, Bjorkstrand himself.

Also just to get this out there, in real life, "potential" and "development" don't work like they do in EA Sports. While I would like him getting more icetime, shots off, and points, none of these are actually NECESSARY in order for him to get better/develop.

A reminder that this is his 2nd full year in the NHL.

Moving Jenner to center and giving Bjork, Wennberg's spot in the top-6/9, and/or moving Bjork to the top PP unit would be what I would do.

Cant teach the shot he has.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
You're recollection of Bjorkstrand's stats is correct. But Bjorkstrand played more and more as the season went on and his scoring rate dropped. He was playing a lot, and I don't buy the idea that Torts messed up his playstyle. A little physicality now and then doesn't change his approach to scoring.

This year he started on the second line and has clearly been outplayed by several other wingers. My complaint with Torts is not that he elevated those wingers above Bjorkstrand, it's the setup of the Milano-Sedlak-Bjorkstrand line. Torts just doesn't have the discipline/patience to roll 4 lines, and that's going to wear out our forwards in general and be bad for the careers of whoever is stuck on the 4th line.
I agree with your last paragraph and it's the case to move Jenner to center and Sedlak to Cleveland. Jenner may be a better winger than Center, but he's a better center than Sedlak.

I have a little different take on the Torts/Borkstrand playstyle thing. And I'll be the first to tell you it's just a theory and not one I can prove. I think part of Bjorkstrand's success was in his ability to anticipate where the puck would/should be and floating to that spot to play it. Many of his assists were triggered this way. He now tries to fly to the offensive opponent. He's where the puck is, but not in position to command it and play it. Now the "floating" concept isn't as physical, or arguably the most fundamental defense coaches like to see. But I think his effectiveness has diminished as a result.

That said, the bigger issue is playing with Sedlak in the middle because of skill and Milano because he's the red-headed stepchild on wing (as an aside, I actually remember a stretch last year where Milano-Foligno-Bjork had success).

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Good post. I don't think the concern with Bjorkstand is a monolith. He's a skilled player who it feels like has more to give. We don't see the things that the coaches see on which to base a decision about playing time. I've been on Bjork to insinuate himself more into the play. But yeah, he needs to play more to do that, too perhaps. Why doesn't he make his presence felt more?

Honestly, I think Torts would love him if he shot the puck every time he touched it. I don't care where he is in the offensive zone. If he puts it on net he's got a chance to score and I think thats what Torts wants from him. However, that's just not his game. Yeah, he's a goal scorer but in junior he always had close goals-assists numbers, and he had the same in the AHL too. He was an all around offensive player.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
He's invisible out there. If he were a talent it would show irregardless of which line he plays on.
NOt at all true. If you're not playing, it's hard to get into any sort of rhythm understanding where your linemates will be/what they'll do/etc. And it's further pronounced if you're thrown on a line with someone who doesn't have NHL offensive skill (Sedlak) and another who doesn't seem to have the mind for the game to make the simple, intelligent plays who is also (probably) struggling with confidence from lack of PT.

That being said, he has to find some sort of way to break through. That might not happen until Dubinsky's back or in the unfortunate circumstance of more injuries. Or Torts goes AWOL and shifts centers around PLD-Nash-Sedlak-Wennberg instead of PLD-Wenn-Nash-Sedlak).

I love Bjorkstrand. I've always loved Bjorkstrand. I also see it's inevitable that, if we make a move for an upgrade on the wing (like Stone), Bjorkstrand is going the other way. I'm bracing myself for this, because I have a chance to unlike Howson's foolish giving away of my last favorite Blue Jacket forward (Voracek obv).

major major

Feb 18, 2013
He's invisible out there. If he were a talent it would show irregardless of which line he plays on.

His principal talent is shooting, and that only shows when you are in shooting position. I don't think Bjorkstrand is the best at getting that position, but his linemates are clearly not helping. Milano is giving the puck away and Sedlak can only contribute so much.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
For me, I've never quite seen the potential upside that others (including the scouts) see in Bjorky. Doesn't mean the potential upside is not there, just that my eye test says "he's ok, not great, he is what he is." But I'm not the expert scout.
I have no idea what he is. I am not sure how anyone could know what he is.

onetimerguy

Jul 17, 2018
So the lines get changed yet again. At St Louis who had more ice time than Bjorkstrand? Everyone! Including the entire 4th line! Sedlak, Hanni, and Nash. Wow. Oli must have insulted Torts puppy or something. He wasn't even on the 2nd power play evidently. May as well trade him.....
Thoughts?

Reactions: MoeBartoli

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
All this Bjorkstrand talk is just weird, IMO.

It seems that people have all these different WILD opinions, either on Bjorkstrand and his actual play, or with some WILD comparison and rant about Milano, "skilled players", and Torts entire coaching past.

I really don't see much of an issue at all, really.

He's pretty clearly in the organizations future plans. Its his 2nd f***in year in the NHL.

Reactions: Viqsi
Mar 1, 2002
All this Bjorkstrand talk is just weird, IMO.

It seems that people have all these different WILD opinions, either on Bjorkstrand and his actual play, or with some WILD comparison and rant about Milano, "skilled players", and Torts entire coaching past.

I really don't see much of an issue at all, really.

He's pretty clearly in the organizations future plans. Its his 2nd ****in year in the NHL.

Playing plugs like Sedlak and Nash more than Bjorkstrand is flat out dumb.

Just dumb.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Playing plugs like Sedlak and Nash more than Bjorkstrand is flat out dumb.

Just dumb.

How much of that has to do with the team protecting a lead for a LARGE part of the game?

.o8?? .15?? .34?? .55?? .67??

If he would've gotten hurt in a "blowout" game in the 3rd period if things had gotten rough, what would be said? Oh, right...

"FIRE TORTS"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->