Pre-Game Talk: All Purpose Off Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Any concerns about DeSmith are based on his last 3 or 4 starts, though. So a chart that includes when he WAS playing super awesome earlier in the season isn't exactly addressing the current concerns.

Small sample size is small sample size. And I was focused much more on the putrid defense which is making the goalies have to perform like Gods to even have average stats than the actual goalies in this.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Small sample size is small sample size. And I was focused much more on the putrid defense which is making the goalies have to perform like Gods to even have average stats than the actual goalies in this.

We both agree on the defense being an issue. But I also don't think DeSmith is playing as well these past handful of starts as he did earlier in the year when Murray was out.

The concern, for me, is now that Murray's back DeSmith is going to only get the odd start here or there. He won't get 3 or 4 stars in a row to get into the rhythm. So if he has a stinker, he'll have to bounce back cold after about a 2 week layoff.

dig1

Mar 1, 2015
Caps just lost a game because they gave up a goal at the last second to a team that was day dreaming...(though they still got a point)

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Is ZAR going to be back for the Devils game? Might be able to get Blugers a couple of NHL games, he deserves it.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
he was ridiculously good to start the year. Honestly, I just don't know what you're talking about. He's been great every year.

Especially the 3 previous ones (when healthy). Without question one of the top 3-5 forwards in the league.

EDIT: That said, I've been worried about this situation for the last 2 months, and honestly we're about 12 weeks into this swoon. Hard pressed to remember when it's been this bad for this long with so little good play sprinkled in. Honestly, getting this sorted, and I think that includes finding the right winger for him, should be JR's biggest concern, bigger than 3C or a better defensive partner for Schultz when he returns.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Especially the 3 previous ones (when healthy). Without question one of the top 3-5 forwards in the league.

EDIT: That said, I've been worried about this situation for the last 2 months, and honestly we're about 12 weeks into this swoon. Hard pressed to remember when it's been this bad for this long with so little good play sprinkled in. Honestly, getting this sorted, and I think that includes finding the right winger for him, should be JR's biggest concern, bigger than 3C or a better defensive partner for Schultz when he returns.
I'm hoping this break helps get him out of the funk. Whether its a nagging injury or just in his head, I think this is an internal Geno thing at least as much as it's a winger thing. Regardless, a winger would be a nice addition. Whether it's to help him be better, or just helping the line rely a little less on him, it would be a good move.

Reactions: Peat and KIRK

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Is ZAR going to be back for the Devils game? Might be able to get Blugers a couple of NHL games, he deserves it.

Not massively concerned about Blueger(i believe it'll come at some point this season) getting his chance since all the F's are healthy except ZAR.
The good to great news is Schultz is likely back very very soon if not that NJD game.

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
As it currently stands I don’t see this team as a true contender. Too inconsistent to make a deep playoff run. Geno is obviously an X factor if he can get back to being dominant things could change for us, just not sure how likely that is with his current line mates. The defense can certainly use Schultz back but it will be at the expense of Cough Drop I’m sure. Still leaves us with JJ and Maata as defensive black holes and you have to figure it will take weeks for Schultz to truly be himself. Murray is the obvious #1 and Desmith will only get the rare b2b starts. Will be interesting what JR does with Brassard or potentially a Maata at the TD. Team is going to need some magic from whatever tweaks they make because this D and secondary scoring, lines 2-4, are not even close to cutting it

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
@2wayPlay

not trying to gatekeep here or anything, but, do you watch many other teams or games?

I agree the Pens have some serious warts and their compete level is very inconsistent right now, yet, it seems they are literally par for the course.

The Caps are in the midst of losing a 7 game losing streak.

The Sharks decimated the Pens....yet went on to lose like 3 in a row after, also.

CGY was a tire fire early in the year despite them 'looking' great right now.

Basically....everyone seems inconsistent. Just based on that, if they just get into the playoffs, the Pens can certainly be a contender again---especially if they can improve their effort level in games at really matter and get there without niggling injuries like last year.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'm hoping this break helps get him out of the funk. Whether its a nagging injury or just in his head, I think this is an internal Geno thing at least as much as it's a winger thing. Regardless, a winger would be a nice addition. Whether it's to help him be better, or just helping the line rely a little less on him, it would be a good move.

That's my thinking. BUT, I do agree with your premise that Geno getting right is the prerequisite. The right winger helps better leverage Geno when he does.

Well, for those of you who don’t feel the Pens are a true contender (as of now), Pensburgh agrees with you....

Where do the Penguins currently sit among the NHL’s Stanley Cup contenders and pretenders?

This lines up with most sensible people here.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Interesting thoughts. But also interesting teams to pick as sure fire contenders. I have Tampa, Nash, and San Jose and the rest of the league personally.

I don't trust any of those teams to get it done.

Tampa gets pushed to the outside a lot in the playoffs. Kucherov is a hell of a player and can rack up pts as well as anyone when on a roll, but he's pretty indicative of the rest of his team. Disappearing act when things aren't going their way. Yeah, they took the Caps to 7, but then they got shut down in the final 2 games. And probably shouldn't have even gone 7.

Maybe McDonagh fitting in better changes things for them, but I'm not betting on it.

Nashville is still missing another high end offensive player. They ain't getting out of the West AND beating one of us, Caps and Tampa.

SJ. Their forward depth is pretty insane. And they added the best offensive D-man in the game. Went to the final against us and gave Vegas a good fight last year. Thornton and Pavelski are up there in age though. But I'd probably take them of those three teams you mentioned.

If the Caps don't hit a wall in terms of fatigue and the Pens can make a move or two to give our core enough ammunition for another run, I'm still not betting against the Cup winner being the winner of round 2 Pens vs Caps again.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't trust any of those teams to get it done.

Tampa gets pushed to the outside a lot in the playoffs. Kucherov is a hell of a player and can rack up pts as well as anyone when on a roll, but he's pretty indicative of the rest of his team. Disappearing act when things aren't going their way. Yeah, they took the Caps to 7, but then they got shut down in the final 2 games. And probably shouldn't have even gone 7.

Maybe McDonagh fitting in better changes things for them, but I'm not betting on it.

Nashville is still missing another high end offensive player. They ain't getting out of the West AND beating one of us, Caps and Tampa.

SJ. Their forward depth is pretty insane. And they added the best offensive D-man in the game. Went to the final against us and gave Vegas a good fight last year. Thornton and Pavelski are up there in age though. But I'd probably take them of those three teams you mentioned.

If the Caps don't hit a wall in terms of fatigue and the Pens can make a move or two to give our core enough ammunition for another run, I'm still not betting against the Cup winner being the winner of round 2 Pens vs Caps again.

Never count out the Pens. Caps was a fluke IMO. Be surprised if they go on another run.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Never count out the Pens. Caps was a fluke IMO. Be surprised if they go on another run.

Caps have a high powered offense, a goalie who's figured things out in the playoffs and a team defense that make it very difficult to score on them. They've struggled with the latter this season, but like our balls to the wall speed game in past years, it's tough to manufacture that longterm. I think they'll be a pain when the games matter again.

They hook and hold a lot through the neutral zone and do a good job of keeping things to the outside. Pens and SJ are likely best equipped to deal with that. Both score a lot on tips and manufacturing offense from between the circles. Pens have the special teams to break even with them. And SJ has a nice blend of size and skill throughout their lineup. Kane, Meier and Hertl could break down their defense over 7 games.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Interesting thoughts. But also interesting teams to pick as sure fire contenders. I have Tampa, Nash, and San Jose and the rest of the league personally.

I do find it somewhat difficult to take seriously an article telling me that Calgary and Vegas are big contenders and we aren't. And that Winnipeg aren't big contenders.

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
I do find it somewhat difficult to take seriously an article telling me that Calgary and Vegas are big contenders and we aren't. And that Winnipeg aren't big contenders.

The issue is as of now those teams have the point totals to be classified as such. The Pens are closer to being out of the playoffs then they are getting to that top tier. Still over 30 games left and a lot can change but they better start being more consistent or we could find ourselves on a bubble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->