Pre-Game Talk: All Purpose Off Day Thread | Ruhwedel to W-B/S for Conditioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
My only hope is for JR to get a RHD (I still want Honka if we can dump 1-2 of our LHD when we're healthy) and then see how this team plays out when they're healthy in the playoffs.

Curious what the excuses will be.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Throwing this out there for tomorrow's build and the GDT. @DegenX @BHD and myself are going to be a lot more strict with the Sprong nonsense going on all over the board. In addition, let's tone some of the gifs down. We can use 'em for the GDT, but try to keep in mind the size of the pictures/gifs you are using. If they are too big, they will be deleted. It bogs down any mobile users.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Throwing this out there for tomorrow's build and the GDT. @DegenX @BHD and myself are going to be a lot more strict with the Sprong nonsense going on all over the board. In addition, let's tone some of the gifs down. We can use 'em for the GDT, but try to keep in mind the size of the pictures/gifs you are using. If they are too big, they will be deleted. It bogs down any mobile users.

So a giant gif of Sprong is twice the infraction? :sarcasm:

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
My only hope is for JR to get a RHD (I still want Honka if we can dump 1-2 of our LHD when we're healthy) and then see how this team plays out when they're healthy in the playoffs.

Curious what the excuses will be.

There seems to be a lot more defensemen on the market than usual right now. A RHD would be nice, but my concern is price. Toronto will be bidding on any good one thats out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
There seems to be a lot more defensemen on the market than usual right now. A RHD would be nice, but my concern is price. Toronto will be bidding on any good one thats out there.

If the market is suddenly flooded with defensemen, great. That means the premium on defense would finally be leveled some, it's been a little ridiculous as of late. Even bottom pairing defensemen area asking for 2.5-3m/yr and you have to give up 2nd's and 1sts, f*** that.

The thing I am curious about is what this GM/Coach thinks is our "keepers" on defense.

Letang - Obvious reasons.
Dumoulin - Bad season so far, but he'll turn it around.
Pettersson - We just got him, has had more good moments than bad, someone feed him please.
Schultz - We NEED him and people that were ok moving him, sit down and shut up.
Riikola - If only because of his contract and potential, it's dumb for us to move him based on his value, but his value to this team can be even more if this staff lets him play.

The rest? I don't give a f*** if they are all traded in 1 trade.

Maatta - Dude just has not progressed like he should have, he's in his 6th season.
Oleksiak - Make him a forward or admit you can't fix him because you stopped figuring out how to fix defensemen after Schultz.
Johnson - Whatever...

Ruhwedel - He's depth, neither here nor there, but at his price, better for depth than to lose him and have to use Czuzuzuzuzuchcmaman.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
If the market is suddenly flooded with defensemen, great. That means the premium on defense would finally be leveled some, it's been a little ridiculous as of late. Even bottom pairing defensemen area asking for 2.5-3m/yr and you have to give up 2nd's and 1sts, **** that.

The thing I am curious about is what this GM/Coach thinks is our "keepers" on defense.

Pettersson - We just got him, has had more good moments than bad, someone feed him please.
Riikola - If only because of his contract and potential, it's dumb for us to move him based on his value, but his value to this team can be even more if this staff lets him play.

The rest? I don't give a **** if they are all traded in 1 trade.

Maatta - Dude just has not progressed like he should have, he's in his 6th season.
Oleksiak - Make him a forward or admit you can't fix him because you stopped figuring out how to fix defensemen after Schultz.
Johnson - Whatever...

Ruhwedel - He's depth, neither here nor there, but at his price, better for depth than to lose him and have to use Czuzuzuzuzuchcmaman.
Im not sure the price will have come down much. I think you can definitely pry away someone from the Kings or Blues, but if you want someone good/decent you will still pay a premium.

I agree with your list for the most part, I think Johnson is a keeper though. He was just signed to a long term contract and hes close to Crosby. I dont see JR trading him after only a few months. As much as this board likes to make him a scapegoat, hes not going anywhere. Maatta is really the only one of note I can see being possibly moved. But does JR feel the same way we do? Who knows.

Id like to see someone brought in to stabilize the middle pairing. Run:

Dumo/Letang
???/Schultz
Riikola/Pettersson/Johnson
Oleksiak

Thats just my opinion at least. One or two guys on the back end need to be moved regardless, especially when Schultz is ready.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Im not sure the price will have come down much. I think you can definitely pry away someone from the Kings or Blues, but if you want someone good/decent you will still pay a premium.

I agree with your list for the most part, I think Johnson is a keeper though. He was just signed to a long term contract and hes close to Crosby. I dont see JR trading him after only a few months. As much as this board likes to make him a scapegoat, hes not going anywhere. Maatta is really the only one of note I can see being possibly moved. But does JR feel the same way we do? Who knows.

Id like to see someone brought in to stabilize the middle pairing. Run:

Dumo/Letang
???/Schultz
Riikola/Pettersson/Johnson
Oleksiak

Thats just my opinion at least. One or two guys on the back end need to be moved regardless, especially when Schultz is ready.

I wish we had Ian Cole still, something about his game was just so perfect with Schultz and it allowed Schultz to play his game. I think maybe Pettersson with his somewhat stay at home style might be a great fit with Schultz.

Reactions: Zirakzigil

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I wish we had Ian Cole still, something about his game was just so perfect with Schultz and it allowed Schultz to play his game. I think maybe Pettersson with his somewhat stay at home style might be a great fit with Schultz.
Cole is missed for sure, he also brought some much needed grit to the blueline. It would be nice if the Pens picked up someone in his mold, even if its just a rental. I was hoping that Johnson would be a slightly better version of Cole, but that hasnt really happened. I really wonder if Daley might be someone JR grabs again. He knows the players and the system, less risk that he doesnt fit in. He could also bring some much needed puck moving to the back end. Did him and Schultz ever play together? I dont think they did.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I turned off Java on my iphone. Removes the problem of too many gifs or intrusive ads. If I have to do something a little more involved, I can either turn it back on or use an app. About the only time I have to turn it on is when I have to activate some streaming service on one device or another.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I turned off Java on my iphone. Removes the problem of too many gifs or intrusive ads. If I have to do something a little more involved, I can either turn it back on or use an app. About the only time I have to turn it on is when I have to activate some streaming service on one device or another.
I haven't had that issue at all, if you're on wifi, maybe then? Also could be which Iphone you have.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I live out of market and don't have cable/satellite, so I always watch streaming services. Since I upgraded my computer and internet speed I haven't had problems, but there was a long time when I had to pull up HFBoards mobile site on my computer if I wanted to watch the game and be on here at the same time.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Johnson looks like a healthy scratch tonight. To be honest, healthy scratching Johnson right now and not earlier in the year is a pretty questionable move by Sullivan. Johnson has actually done much better recently.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Very interesting.

My only thought is that they're shopping either one of or both of Maatta and Oleksiak, and they think Riikola needs to stay in the lineup. Otherwise, I don't really get it. It's just like scratching Oleksiak early in the season, it doesn't make much sense to scratch him when they did.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Johnson looks like a healthy scratch tonight. To be honest, healthy scratching Johnson right now and not earlier in the year is a pretty questionable move by Sullivan. Johnson has actually done much better recently.

Well Im happy Riikola is staying in....it was going to be either JJ or Olek scratched...personally I feel that JJ was playing better, but I don't have a problem with it...I'm just glad Riikola looks to be playing...AND THAT LETANG IS BACK!!!

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
My only thought is that they're shopping either one of or both of Maatta and Oleksiak, and they think Riikola needs to stay in the lineup. Otherwise, I don't really get it. It's just like scratching Oleksiak early in the season, it doesn't make much sense to scratch him when they did.

I think it is the ideal D to be honest. But we don’t need to go there lol.

Also, really surprised Letang is already doing reps. I’m assuming he isn’t actually playing and Johnson will be back in.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
If the market is suddenly flooded with defensemen, great. That means the premium on defense would finally be leveled some, it's been a little ridiculous as of late. Even bottom pairing defensemen area asking for 2.5-3m/yr and you have to give up 2nd's and 1sts, **** that.

The rest? I don't give a **** if they are all traded in 1 trade.

Johnson - Whatever...

You serious? Dumoulin has been fantastic overall this season, he had that one inexplicably horrible week a little while ago but he's given us so much this season.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
You serious? Dumoulin has been fantastic overall this season, he had that one inexplicably horrible week a little while ago but he's given us so much this season.

I think the answer is somewhere in the middle. Dumo has been brutal at times and he's been the Dumo we love at times. Much like the entire defense, he's been inconsistent. But unlike everyone else (other than Letang) he's earned that right because how consistent his usual play is.

Did I even make sense there? :laugh:

Reactions: Andy99

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'd try one of MP or Rik with Letang and see how that looks.

Dumoulin seems to use his skating and jump up in the play way more when he plays away from Letang. We could use a guy who does that on the 2nd pairing.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'd try one of MP or Rik with Letang and see how that looks.

Dumoulin seems to use his skating and jump up in the play way more when he plays away from Letang. We could use a guy who does that on the 2nd pairing.

I think Maatta and Riikola look pretty good together. Maatta needs someone with puck moving ability.

That means you are putting Dumo with Oleksiak which I don’t like because it limits Dumo’s Pinching ability. Pettersson with Oleksiak is the right call.

Will allow Oleksiak to be a little riskier offensively.

Still we know that pairing is gonna get burned by Sprong tonight just because of how our lives are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->