Indy: All-Purpose non-WWE Wrestling Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
We're going to get to December, and I'm pretty sure it's going to be the Year of Marty Scurll on the indy scene. Maybe any scene that isn't Japan.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
apparently 5Star Wrestling has offered CM Punk $1Million to compete in their 128-Man tourney

fun fact about 5Star, the last title change was in January 2016 when John Morrison pinned AJ Styles lol

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
The Bullet Club umbrella was so cool.

Adam Cole is only 27. Would love to see him in WWE, but doesn't need to rush if he's making good money on his own.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
We're going to get to December, and I'm pretty sure it's going to be the Year of Marty Scurll on the indy scene. Maybe any scene that isn't Japan.
He is incredibly talented. At 28 too..like Cole, he figured things out at a young age.

Both of those guys just work crowds so well. Well beyond their years.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Interesting decision for Adam Cole coming up. Everything with last night feels like he's NXT/WWE bound...but staying on for a war with Omega and Bullet Club would make for some great storylines (although Cole delivers best in a heel role...he's mentioned this storyline on Sam Roberts podcast as something he'd enjoy doing). Cole is really into the storyline side of the business...I could see him taking advantage of the potential of him leaving to stay and deliver a big time feud with Omega/Young Bucks/Scurll/Cody.

Or he goes right into the main scene of NXT and starts on his path to the WWE.
He might be the most WWE ready guy to come out of the indy's in a long while. Not necessarily the best, but he's got everything that company wants in a star other than maybe not being all that big. Even then his look more than makes up for it and like Rollins, he doesn't seem that small.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Ospreay/Ricochet crushed it again, great promo from Will after the match challenging Orton to a House of Horrors match :laugh:.

Nakamura

May 14, 2017
Battle of the Super Jrs has been my first introduction to Marty Scrull, as well, and I am excited to follow him during this tournament and his time in Njpw.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
I know he first did it awhile ago now, but Low Ki wrestling in the suit is awesome.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
apparently 5Star Wrestling has offered CM Punk $1Million to compete in their 128-Man tourney

fun fact about 5Star, the last title change was in January 2016 when John Morrison pinned AJ Styles lol

Yeah this has been confirmed. A lot of money on the line.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
WCPW is cancelling their weekly show due to youtube ad revenue changes :(

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
That's what happens when you hitch your entire business model on YouTube ad revenue. You've got to go out and get your own sponsors/advertisers like many YouTubers did years ago.

of course, WhatCulture being wrestling wouldn't have attracted many advertisers if any at all, so they were ****ed.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It wasn't sustainable and was too ambitious. I have no idea how they were able to afford all the people they were getting to begin with.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
YouTube was a great living for people earlier in the decade and back in the late 2000s as well. A YouTuber like Philip DeFranco built an entire network off ad revenue alone before branching out and getting his own sponsors, advertisers and other side business ventures to protect himself from inevitable changes. Of course it's easier for a channel like his than a wrestling channel, but there was a lot of money to be made.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
YouTube was a great living for people earlier in the decade and back in the late 2000s as well. A YouTuber like Philip DeFranco built an entire network off ad revenue alone before branching out and getting his own sponsors, advertisers and other side business ventures to protect himself from inevitable changes. Of course it's easier for a channel like his than a wrestling channel, but there was a lot of money to be made.

I don't doubt that it can be lucrative, but I don't think it is for the expenses that they had. They kind of just wanted to come out of the gate hot and heavy. They should be concentrating on putting on a show once a month or so like PWG does.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Don't think this was ever brought up, but the New Japan show from Long Beach on July 1 is going to be a live show on AXS, and it will be allotted 5 hours (supposed to be 4, but can overrun if needed).

The July 2 show will be taped for AXS on July 8. No commercials during matches in-progress.

AXS is also supposed to be caught up by July 1, and to ensure this, they're having an all-day marathon on July 1. Good alternative to Free Agent Frenzy.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
AXS just had Okada vs. Minoru Suzuki from back in February (so now they're within 4 months, I think at one point it was up to 11 months). A very unique match if you didn't see it the first time (I had not). Having JR will always help. That's the type of match that would totally die with a WWE crowd, there is no way they would stay with a guy like Suzuki even if he's great at psychology. It was 40 minutes (and on AXS that means a hour) of Suzuki getting Okada into all kinds of heel hooks, kneebars, submission holds on the leg and Okada getting out of them after nearly tapping out. Two of the things that got me was during a sequence where Suzuki could stare a hole into Okada while having him in the hold, and also Gedo teasing that he was going to throw in the towel since Okada wasn't going to tap. And then Okada started looking like he was going to tap, so Gedo stopped because I guess he thought he was going to do it. The action is all on the ground, with a lot of cerebral tactics that weren't so fancy. Like watching a catcher work in baseball.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
AXS just had Okada vs. Minoru Suzuki from back in February (so now they're within 4 months, I think at one point it was up to 11 months). A very unique match if you didn't see it the first time (I had not). Having JR will always help. That's the type of match that would totally die with a WWE crowd, there is no way they would stay with a guy like Suzuki even if he's great at psychology. It was 40 minutes (and on AXS that means a hour) of Suzuki getting Okada into all kinds of heel hooks, kneebars, submission holds on the leg and Okada getting out of them after nearly tapping out. Two of the things that got me was during a sequence where Suzuki could stare a hole into Okada while having him in the hold, and also Gedo teasing that he was going to throw in the towel since Okada wasn't going to tap. And then Okada started looking like he was going to tap, so Gedo stopped because I guess he thought he was going to do it. The action is all on the ground, with a lot of cerebral tactics that weren't so fancy. Like watching a catcher work in baseball.

Meltzer had it as a 4.75.
I really liked it too...
But most people thought the submission sequences were too long...
And the result should be the other way because of that.

Suzuki is amazing though.
I am not that big of a fan before...
But after I re-watched some of his past work from the last couple of years in a recent binge...
I am amazed that he can still work at such a high rate...
In his late 40s.
:amazed:

Another match I would recommend is his tilt against Style at the 2014 G1 Climax.
That is some great work.

Okada deserves a lot of credit too.
He is on a historic run at the moment...
And it appears that he has only scratched the surface of his immense talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad