Indy: All-Purpose Non-WWE Discussion Thread -- Part 3 [Impact coming to AXS in October]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
Looking forward to this even though there won't be any surprises. Anyone have an idea how ticket sales were for the Cow Palace? I see the next few US dates are in smaller venues, wondering if it's due to underwhelming sales

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Looking forward to this even though there won't be any surprises. Anyone have an idea how ticket sales were for the Cow Palace? I see the next few US dates are in smaller venues, wondering if it's due to underwhelming sales
I think the smaller venue is just because they're going back to LA.

Cow Palace did not sell out, but I don't think NJPW will be disappointed.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Jim Ross is really not good.

"This could be the main event in a lot of places."

Yeah, well, it did just main event Wrestle Kingdom

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Holy shit they just did a superplex off the top of a ladder

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Bullet Club is might be fine but they don’t look it

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
That table not breaking was cringe worthy. All in all, Cody didn't take a lot of Kennys moves crisply. A lot of his offence typically looks like it legit hurts but from the Vtriggers to the reverse Rana, he bumped stiffer than A 50 year old Suzuki

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Meltzer reporting Hiromu suffered a broken neck on the Phoenix Plex spot

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Meltzer reporting Hiromu suffered a broken neck on the Phoenix Plex spot

It's crazy the stuff they do, and then something like that where it's not really that crazy, just all about landing the wrong way.

Ibushi does that move but cradles the opponent.

Last edited:

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Hate to hear that about Hiromu...that guy has been money of late.

I'll watch the VOD...just not a fan of JR and Barnett calling these matches instead to Kevin and Don. Might just go with the Japanese feed instead.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
the end of the show was well done (no spoilers, I am guessing) I don't watch much NJPW...so most matches didn't appeal to me...I really liked Hangman Paige and Scurll tho...and I like that the young bucks are selling more now and continuing story lines...I was entertained by their match...

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think Josh Barnett does fine, not always smooth, not as good as Don Callis, but he isn’t bad. He doesn’t have the live reps. This is the 4th show he’s done live, but doesn’t sound much different than he does every week when they’re in a studio. Although he was excellent doing that angle with Jay White. JR has struggled much more on the live broadcasts.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
JR is awful on these shows. He comes off as if he just doesn’t care and doesn’t care to learn the f***ing names.

He can take his ass back to Oklahoma as he said at the end of the show apparently and not go back to calling them.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
They just aren't around the product on a regular basis to make it seem like they're naturals at calling these shows. Don and Kevin are at least there and seem to know the guys. I used to watch most of the stuff on AXS before I got NJPWWorld...I can't go back now.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Good show. Was legit loling at Barnett’s f bombs.

You could see the Tongan attack coming from a mile away, what was great about it was them attacking Yujiro and Chase too, to avoid the obvious NJPW OGs vs BTE civil war. Interesting to see what happens with Fale and Ishimori. It’s easy to assume they’ll be with GOD but we’ll see.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
JR is awful on these shows. He comes off as if he just doesn’t care and doesn’t care to learn the ****ing names.

He can take his ass back to Oklahoma as he said at the end of the show apparently and not go back to calling them.

Is there a reason that AXS doesn’t just use Kelly and Calis?

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
From a production side of things, they can't.

AXS make their TV episodes by cutting up the big shows/matches and taking the bits they want, which requires a different kind of commentary from the live broadcasts. So they can't easily use the NJPW World commentary.

As AXS is showing it live, wanting their guys doing commentary is more than reasonable. And at the same time, it's reasonable to not have two English commentary teams. It's not ideal, but it's the practical solution.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
JR supposedly has a cracked rib. Went to the ER for it.

AXS likes JR because he gives them a name the American wrestling fan knows and loves. But his commentary is low energy and filled with all his ancient cliches. At least two matches in a row the other night he beat “slobber knocker” till it officially died. Mauro was so much better when he was doing it, even in a studio.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
JR is claiming that it's not a work and has had to cancel dates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad