All-Purpose Non-WWE Discussion Thread: NWA, IMPACT, AAA, and MLW, etc

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
AXS has cancelled New Japan on their channel, since they now run Impact.

NJPW claiming nothing is in the works for TV in the US, pushing their streaming service. This is a very bad idea.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid and SnS

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It certainly seems that New Japan's push into the US was doomed, regardless of the exodus of the AEW guys. There are big cultural differences and they don't understand the market, much like attempts by American companies to push into Japan.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Psicosis II assaults Konnan outside Impact tapings.

Video has surfaced of wrestler Juan Gonzalez (also known as Psicosis II and Leon Negro) arguing with and then slapping or punching Konnan outside last night's Impact Wrestling taping in Mexico City.

Video in link.

Psicosis II assaults Konnan outside Impact tapings

fgight.JPG

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Anyone been watching the New Japan Cup? Any matches worth watching so far?

I saw Okada vs Yuji Nagata and that was pretty good. Still hard to believe it's the same guy from WCW. I also watched the Yano - Takahashi match and enjoyed it, though anyone'e enjoyment of that match will be dictated by what they think of Yan matches in general.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Gedo must have new notebooks he hasn’t told people about.

This has to be a coronavirus audible. Aren't there already enough people in BC? Now you add EVIL (and Dick Togo?) and then proceed to put him over Naito giving him both belts? I would have given that rub to KENTA or Jay White waayyy before EVIL. The fact he never lost the 6 man title tells this was a recent decision.

Wonder what this means for the Sanada defection they've been teasing?

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Moments away from the biggest Impact episode in ages.

What is the plan with Kenny Omega as AEW Champ on their show?

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Right now, Impact Wrestling has more viewers on Twitch than Amazon Prime Video, who are streaming an NFL game.

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
I'd say, for an Impact Wrestling episode, this was a good one, but given folks tuned in mainly to see Kenny Omega, I think they were disappointed. Does not help that they saw too much of Tommy Dreamer (who has no right to be on TV, period), and in Impact's case, Rich Swann is already put in a spot where he is not on equal footing to Omega.

If and when Swann and Omega have a match, they were already going to have a hard time putting Swann on par with Omega, and tonight did a horrible job presenting that as a first impression.

I equate this situation to be on par to when the NWA appeared on WWF programming in 1998 as it was meant to give the company some credibility after years of irrelevancy, except the WWF had no interest in presenting any of their folks as decent, so every single wrestler associated with the NWA lost to guys who were already at the bottom of the WWF card. This whole deal has the potential to hurt Impact more than it will help AEW, so they need to be careful about how their own are booked, so seeing that annoyed me plenty.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'd say, for an Impact Wrestling episode, this was a good one, but given folks tuned in mainly to see Kenny Omega, I think they were disappointed. Does not help that they saw too much of Tommy Dreamer (who has no right to be on TV, period), and in Impact's case, Rich Swann is already put in a spot where he is not on equal footing to Omega.

If and when Swann and Omega have a match, they were already going to have a hard time putting Swann on par with Omega, and tonight did a horrible job presenting that as a first impression.

I equate this situation to be on par to when the NWA appeared on WWF programming in 1998 as it was meant to give the company some credibility after years of irrelevancy, except the WWF had no interest in presenting any of their folks as decent, so every single wrestler associated with the NWA lost to guys who were already at the bottom of the WWF card. This whole deal has the potential to hurt Impact more than it will help AEW, so they need to be careful about how their own are booked, so seeing that annoyed me plenty.

That's a fair analogy, though I'd say that Omega has enough sway to make sure that Impact isn't made to look as bad as the NWA did at that time. Impact is still a gongshow but this at least provides some variety.

Regarding the NWA, it's started a new weekly show called NWA Shockwave. From what I've seen it isn't very good, though given the situation with filming that's the only expectable result.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad