All-Purpose Non-WWE Discussion Thread: NWA, IMPACT, AAA, and MLW, etc

IceColdOx

Jan 29, 2019
Watertown, NY
A sign of the times. They simply did not play their hand right.

I feel they blew it with the Elite. They should have said "We'll help with All In, but you have to stay for another six months." They didn't plan out the exit very well and were banking on them staying.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I feel they blew it with the Elite. They should have said "We'll help with All In, but you have to stay for another six months." They didn't plan out the exit very well and were banking on them staying.
They definitely created their own competition. New Japan seems to be cutting bait with them as well. Of course, if there was any indication that AEW would become a thing, then they wouldn't have stepped out for All In. Nobody was aggressive enough in their expansion, and AEW had the money and desire to swoop in. ROH could've been that but did not step to the plate, and sort of embarrassed themselves in NJPW's eyes with the MSG show.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The new NWA Power episode has already been pulled due to a rather tasteless and random Cornette comment during a match between Aldis and Murdoch. I doubt that this can half the ascension of The Question Mark in the esteem of wrestling fandom but it may slow it down.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The new NWA Power episode has already been pulled due to a rather tasteless and random Cornette comment during a match between Aldis and Murdoch. I doubt that this can half the ascension of The Question Mark in the esteem of wrestling fandom but it may slow it down.

Should’ve been screened and caught before it made air.

Reactions: IceColdOx

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Should’ve been screened and caught before it made air.

It made the original stream and then was uploaded later, because I made it through the episode but didn't watch the initial broadcast. Got pulled not long after. I must say that I was surprised to find an Ethiopian famine joke around 35 years after the fact. It is surprising that it went through.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
It made the original stream and then was uploaded later, because I made it through the episode but didn't watch the initial broadcast. Got pulled not long after. I must say that I was surprised to find an Ethiopian famine joke around 35 years after the fact. It is surprising that it went through.

It's not even the first time Corny has made this stupid comment.

March 6, 1995.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It's not even the first time Corny has made this stupid comment.

March 6, 1995.

Aha. It's still pretty random to bring up in 1995, but much less so than in 2019. Also worth noting that 1995 WWF Cornette was a heel, while 2019 NWA Cornette isn't.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Corny takes the fall :sarcasm:

VNkyZe.gif

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
The fact that Cornette, of all people, got devoured by the cancel culture is f***ing hilarious.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Cornette getting in trouble was pretty much the least surprising thing about the NWA, given his propensity to speak faster than he thinks and the obvious desire by many online to see him get in shit. It's unfortunate to me as Cornette is still one of the best talkers in wrestling and an asset as an announcer but it's not surprising.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Cornette getting in trouble was pretty much the least surprising thing about the NWA, given his propensity to speak faster than he thinks and the obvious desire by many online to see him get in ****.

Definitely feels like the anti Cornette snowflake crowd jumped on this one and made it worse then it was

From what i hear when this was actually happening live and they had the live chat on youtube, nobody commented on it which tells me the people offended weren't watching and just wanted an excuse to be angry

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Definitely feels like the anti Cornette snowflake crowd jumped on this one and made it worse then it was

From what i hear when this was actually happening live and they had the live chat on youtube, nobody commented on it which tells me the people offended weren't watching and just wanted an excuse to be angry

It's not surprising. The same types were trying to get Cornette fired the week before by lying about something he said on a podcast unrelated to the NWA and contacting Lagana about it. They may not have known that they were lying though, as I'm sure that most complaints about Cornette are from people who don't listen to what he says and are instead taking a "stand" against the caricature of him that is out there. He does make it easy to caricature him though.

There wasn't a big reaction to it ni the chat, though that is a tiny portion of the audience. I do expect that Cornette wasn't forced to resign but instead got pissed off at how Corgan and Lagana handled it and blew it up himself, but he'll give his side of things later today.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
It's not surprising. The same types were trying to get Cornette fired the week before by lying about something he said on a podcast unrelated to the NWA and contacting Lagana about it.

Well technically he made a joke in bad taste, that if you listened to it was obviously a joke and people got upset. It almost feels like there is a group of people who just listen to him to try find something to be angry about. On the flip side I think he plays it up by taking how he truly feels and turning it to 11 for entertainment purposes whenever he speaks.

On a side note about the NWA power joke, the most offensive thing I found about it was it felt like a canned one liner that is 35 years past it making sense

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Well technically he made a joke in bad taste, that if you listened to it was obviously a joke and people got upset. It almost feels like there is a group of people who just listen to him to try find something to be angry about. On the flip side I think he plays it up by taking how he truly feels and turning it to 11 for entertainment purposes whenever he speaks.

On a side note about the NWA power joke, the most offensive thing I found about it was it felt like a canned one liner that is 35 years past it making sense

No. What happened is that Arik Cannon uploaded audio of Cornette going on a rant where he said the n-word over and over and over again soon after his "joke" blew up.

People are angry at Lagana because he had TWO MONTHS to edit the joke out of the show and didn't do it.

Reactions: IceColdOx

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
No. What happened is that Arik Cannon uploaded audio of Cornette going on a rant where he said the n-word over and over and over again soon after his "joke" blew up.

I though it was the Justin Roberts comment(is he is so happy you might want to keep him away from your kids). The n-word thing I thought was an old clip

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Moxley showed up in New Japan last night. Challenging Lance Archer at Wrestle Kingdom

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He's getting his belt back.

IDK why they decided to have him vacate it to begin with.
That’s just how they do in New Japan, he had a match scheduled and couldn’t make the date, so he’s stripped of the title.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'm pretty surprised by the newest wrestler that's shown up in the NWA.

tumblr_o3k2brMZoM1qdkrl2o1_500.gifv

I think that he wants to challenge Question Mark.

IceColdOx

Jan 29, 2019
Watertown, NY
Seems to me Sinclair has given up on ROH. Makes me sad because that company got me back into wrestling after I got dumped by my wrasslin' hating college ex.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad