All-Purpose News Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Oh I think it definitely expired, I just still think it’s likely he works in the WWE in some capacity

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The A&E Booker T episode was good. He has an interesting story that hasn't already been done countless times across several mediums.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I'm always surprised at Stevie Ray's interviews, because his character after Harlem Heat split was almost unintentional comedy. Go back and watch when WCW put him on commentary. I'll wait. Then his short lived talk show "Suckas gotta know"

Still snickering at the look on Sherri's face when Booker dropped the N-Bomb in an interview.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I thought his DSOTR episode was the most interesting one to me, by far.

New Jack is a showman...always electric. The ending where he’s talking about blowing lines in a wheel chair while old is lowkey heartbreaking now lol

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
As he was being chased around by zombies, the Miz apparently tore his ACL.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
RIP Don Kernodle.

04.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

from yesterday's pwinsider.com:

PWInsider.com is sad to report the passing of Don Kernodle, who performed for Mid-Atlantic Wrestling, the WWE and the NWA, among other promotions, earlier today. Kernodle, 71 at the time of his passing, had been dealing with a number of health issues in recent years.

Born Charles Donald Kernodle Jr., he lettered four times in amateur wrestling while growing up in North Carolina and was a two-time national arm wrestling champion before being broken into the business by Ole and Gene Anderson.

Kernodle debuted in 1973 for Jim Crockett Promotions after stepping in the ring to wrestle Bob Roop in what was billed as a legitimate challenge.

Kernodle had a memorable run in the early 1980s as a member of Sgt. Slaughter’s Cobra Corp., including a run with Mid-Atlantic Tag Team Championship alongside Jim Nelson (the future Boris Zukhov) as they defeated Jay Youngblood and Porkchop Cash.

After Nelson’s departure, Kernodle regularly teamed with Sgt. Slaughter, with the duo winning the NWA World Tag Team Championship (their win was part of a fictional tournaent in Japan) to set up a feud against Ricky Steamboat and Youngblood. The feud built to a steel cage match at the The Charlotte Coliseum on 3/12/82, a bout that was so hot a ticket that thousands were turned away at the door and the babyfaces in that main event, Steamboat and Youngblood, had to park their car and walk through the traffic jam as there was no other way for them to reach the building.

While never under contract to the WWF, Kernodle appeared on WWF, defeating enhancement talents but losing to pushed babyfaces of the era, including Rocky Johnson and Tito Santana. Kernodle also worked a number of events co-promoted by the WWF with the Tunney family in Toronto’s Maple Leaf Gardens Arena from 1982-1984, including a bout where he won the NWA Canadian TV title from Jay Youngblood.

In the mid-1980s, Kernodle returned to Jim Crockett Promotions as a heel, initially managed by Gary Hart and teaming with Bob Orton Jr., having another run with the NWA World Tag Titles.

Kernodle later took part in an angle where he aligned himself with Ivan Koloff as something of a Russian sympathizer. Years later, in an interview with the Mid-Atlantic Gateway, Kernodle denied he ever actually turned on the United States, commenting, "An American turning on his damn country. Well, you know guys, I never really turned on the country. I just said, ‘What do you get when you get the greatest American wrestler and the greatest Russian wrestler and you team them up? You get the World Tag Team Champions!’"

Koloff and Kernodle won the NWA World Tag Team Titles from Wahoo McDaniel and Mark Youngblood during a Greensboro, NC house show. When Nikita Koloff debuted as “The Russian Nightmare”, the story was that Kernodle helped train Ivan’s storyline nephew and the trio held the NWA Six Man Tag Team Championship.

The Koloffs turned on Kernodle after he and Ivan lost the NWA World Tag Titles following a five month reign, dropping them to Manny Fernandez and Dusty Rhodes. After the bout, the Koloffs beat Kernodle down after the match.

Now firmly a babyface, Kernodle began teaming with his brother Rocky as they feuded with The Koloffs and then took part in Starrcade ‘85, helping The Rock N’ Roll Express defeat Ivan and Nikita in a steel cage to win the NWA Tag Team Titles.

The Kernodles departed Crockett Promotions in 1986. In his post-wrestling life, he became a Sergeant for Immigration Customs Enforcement for Alamance County and was later a deputy sheriff in Alamance County as well.

In 2002, The Kernodles began to make semi-regular appearances for the CWF Mid-Atlantic promotion in Burlingon, North Carolina and were regulars at the Greg Price conventions in Charlotte celebrating the history of the NWA and Mid-Atlantic Wrestling.

PWInsider.com sends our deepest condolences to the family, friends and fans of Don Kernodle.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Jesssmyn Duke was among the cuts, so there goes doing 4HW vs. 4HW

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
From what I’ve gathered via various reporters Wuertz got up and gathered his things as soon as Triple H started talking about being accepting of all religions during a speech after the George Floyd murder. Talent thought he was racist. He almost got his ass beat backstage. This is what could be best be described as “nuclear heat”

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
From what I’ve gathered via various reporters Wuertz got up and gathered his things as soon as Triple H started talking about being accepting of all religions during a speech after the George Floyd murder. Talent thought he was racist. He almost got his ass beat backstage. This is what could be best be described as “nuclear heat”

Let's call that a "bold" stance for a lowly ref to take. I remember reading a bit about that guy. Dumb.

I'm surprised that more wasn't made of the Velveteen Dream pics stuff from months ago. It's clear that something was there given how he was used after it came out but it was kept pretty quiet.

Reactions: CDJ

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Major announcement from the WWE today.

STAMFORD, Conn., May 21, 2021 – WWE (NYSE: WWE) will return to live event touring with a 25-city schedule through Labor Day. The tour will debut this July in Texas with a trio of shows:

Friday, July 16: SmackDown – Toyota Center in HoustonSunday, July 18: Money In The Bank – Dickies Arena in Fort WorthMonday, July 19: Raw – American Airlines Center in Dallas.

Tickets for the live events in Houston, Fort Worth and Dallas go on sale this Wednesday, May 26 at 11 am ET.

Additional tour stops and on-sale dates will be announced in the coming weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad