4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Act quickly - they're selling out fast:

Ezq_E6YX0AcY4uB

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Seems like he joined a faction with Eric Young, Joe Doehring, Deaner (that is in fact Cody Deaner of TNA fame a decade ago), and Rhino

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Not sure where it goes, but was telling @ColePens the A&E WWE Legends biography on Rowdy Roddy Piper was pretty good (Austin was mundane, but damn if I didn't chuckle a few times watching the Piper one). I'm older, but two things I'd forgotten:

1. As a heel in Los Angeles in the late 70's, Piper feuded with the Guerreros. To apologize for inflammatory things he said about Mexico, he promised to play the Mexican national anthem on his bagpipes . . . and proceeded to play La Cucaracha.

2. He and Ric Flair were running buddies in Georgia.

I think the Macho Man is next week's entry.

Reactions: CDJ

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Not sure where it goes, but was telling @ColePens the A&E WWE Legends biography on Rowdy Roddy Piper was pretty good (Austin was mundane, but damn if I didn't chuckle a few times watching the Piper one). I'm older, but two things I'd forgotten:

1. As a heel in Los Angeles in the late 70's, Piper feuded with the Guerreros. To apologize for inflammatory things he said about Mexico, he promised to play the Mexican national anthem on his bagpipes . . . and proceeded to play La Cucaracha.

2. He and Ric Flair were running buddies in Georgia.

I think the Macho Man is next week's entry.

I enjoyed both episodes. The Austin one obviously glossed over a few glaring things but the Piper one hit every point I was interested in. Neither is going to blow a fan's mind with a ton of new stuff but they are quality productions.

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I enjoyed both episodes. The Austin one obviously glossed over a few glaring things but the Piper one hit every point I was interested in. Neither is going to blow a fan's mind with a ton of new stuff but they are quality productions.

Looking forward to Macho Man. They've got his brother from the looks of the preview.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
McMahon has a heavy hand in the production. Piper's foibles are more known, documented and addressed by himself and his family. There is stuff about Austin that has remained largely quite and Vince prefers it that way. It was still a quality production. Austin and Piper were both quality viewing.

My one beef is Hogan's back handed compliments of Piper. Dude is so full of himself trying to portray Piper as regretting not jobbing to him. "We could have made so much money" Hogan claims. B.S. Piper ensured he was not buried like every other talent brought in for Hogan.

Cannot wait for the Savage episode. Loved the editing of the Hogan and Steamboat clips about WMIII. I think they make have Hogan looking like a bit of a clown in this one.

Reactions: KIRK and Haggard

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
McMahon has a heavy hand in the production. Piper's foibles are more known, documented and addressed by himself and his family. There is stuff about Austin that has remained largely quite and Vince prefers it that way. It was still a quality production. Austin and Piper were both quality viewing.

My one beef is Hogan's back handed compliments of Piper. Dude is so full of himself trying to portray Piper as regretting not jobbing to him. "We could have made so much money" Hogan claims. B.S. Piper ensured he was not buried like every other talent brought in for Hogan.

Cannot wait for the Savage episode. Loved the editing of the Hogan and Steamboat clips about WMIII. I think they make have Hogan looking like a bit of a clown in this one.

I always get a laugh at Hogan's claims of reconciliation once the other guy is dead. He did it with Piper here, he's already done it with Savage and I expect a repeat on the next episode. If he outlives the Iron Sheik I expect we'll hear about once last meeting right before Sheik died where he told Hogan that Hogan made Sheik humble. If he outlives Ric Flair we'll hear how Flair admitted to Hogan on his deathbed that the Hulkster was always better than him inside and outside of the ring, brother.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I always get a laugh at Hogan's claims of reconciliation once the other guy is dead. He did it with Piper here, he's already done it with Savage and I expect a repeat on the next episode. If he outlives the Iron Sheik I expect we'll hear about once last meeting right before Sheik died where he told Hogan that Hogan made Sheik humble. If he outlives Ric Flair we'll hear how Flair admitted to Hogan on his deathbed that the Hulkster was always better than him inside and outside of the ring, brother.
To be fair on the Savage one I remember reports that there were people who were skeptical of the claim who investigated it and found out it was true. But yeah, it's generally safe to assume Hulk is full of it as he's just about the biggest BS artist around.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Hogan’s the worst- hated his in-ring stuff, hated his gimmick, hated the hulking up, and on top of all that he’s a miserable human being. The fact that he still gets a role in shit like this is disappointing but expected

Reactions: kevinsane

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto

Flair has actually said Hogan is the best ever or something like that.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Hogan was obviously a massive draw and one of the biggest names in the history of the business, but he's delusional about a lot of stuff.

The feigned ignorance about his heat with people is eye-roll worthy. He politicked all the time, lied to people's faces and then buried them in front of Vince. Which, fine, in a way, get yourself paid. He's not the first and won't be the last, but at least own your crap. And even small things like adding "brother" to the end of the segment where people were quoting some of Piper's best lines in the A&E special is pretty classic Hogan.

Some of his claims in the early 2000s were just hilarious - from saying it made more business sense for him to win first and THEN pass the torch to Brock (as if he had the torch at the time to begin with) to saying Rock's success in Hollywood compared to him was because Hogan had way more competition

Reactions: KIRK

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The Savage episode on A&E was fine, no real surprises other than how much Gorgeous George there was. I enjoyed seeing ICW stuff. Hogan did his usual thing. I enjoyed the first two episodes more though.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I was a huge Hogan fan, but it seems ever since his divorce he turned into a guy that was trying to save face every time he was interviewed.

I just started losing respect for the guy wondering why he was waiting until it was too late to start talking about these reconciliations.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Everyone knows Hogan is full of shit. Across the board. For Christ’s sake the guy still thinks he can hold a championship

Reactions: Jussi

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I was a huge Hogan fan, but it seems ever since his divorce he turned into a guy that was trying to save face every time he was interviewed.

I just started losing respect for the guy wondering why he was waiting until it was too late to start talking about these reconciliations.

From everything I've ever seen he's always been that guy. Consummate wrestling politician.

Reactions: joestevens29

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
The Savage episode on A&E was fine, no real surprises other than how much Gorgeous George there was. I enjoyed seeing ICW stuff. Hogan did his usual thing. I enjoyed the first two episodes more though.

Lots of inaccuracies according to pwinsider.com:

We have received a lot of reader questions stemming from last night's A&E Biography on WWE Hall of Famer Randy Savage, specifically a story told by Jerry Lawler.

The story Jerry Lawler told about Randy Savage jumping to WCW and how Vince McMahon learned is completely incorrect and it appears to be Lawler misremembering Lex Luger's jump to WCW on the first episode of Nitro. Lawler's version is that McMahon was looking for Savage to go over the Raw format but he was not there and was told to watch TV. Lawler then described Vince's non-reaction to seeing Savage on TV on WCW that night. The only problem with that is that Nitro didn't exist when Savage left the WWF in November 1994, which was when McMahon, live on Raw, bid farewell to Savage and thanked him for his contributions to the WWF. Savage didn't debut for WCW until a December 1994 episode of WCW Saturday Night, which was taped, and certainly did not run opposite a WWF broadcast the same evening. While one can't fault Jerry Lawler for misremembering something from decades ago given how much he's seen and done in the business, it's surprising that made air without being double checked by A&E as a quick google would have show that tale didn't hold up to even the lightest of scrutiny.

There were some other factual and/or graphical errors made during the broadcast. Lex Luger was listed as Lex Lugar. The Mid-South Coliseum footage was listed as being from Lexington, when obviously it's always been in Memphis, TN. There appeared to be Memphis footage billed as content from the ICW promotion owned by the Poffos as well. Hulk Hogan even took credit for wrestlers living in Tampa when there was an entire territory in Florida based out of Tampa well before he broke into the business run by Eddie Graham.

There was also comment from Peter Rosenberg about how Savage and Ricky Steamboat never one touched during their build to Wrestlemania III, which implied they did not wrestle before, but obviously they had and did the angle with the timekeeper's bell to injure Steamboat. My belief is Rosenberg was speaking specifically about after the angle as they did not wrestle until Mania III and that the editing on the piece made it appear he was saying they never, ever wrestled, which certainly Rosenberg knew better.

As far as why the doc completely ignored Savage's WWE title win at Wrestlemania IV or even the Hulk Hogan feud in 1989, that would have been a decision made by the producers in order to examine other aspects of Savage's life and career. They did have Hogan note that they sold out everywhere he and Savage wrestled, which would be pretty much historically accurate as they always did well on house shows and then later on PPV.

In regard to questions about who produced the Biography episode, A&E had different production companies and teams working on the different episodes. WWE did not spearhead the production of any of the episodes but provided footage and talent for interviews. There were different teams working on the different films, which is why there was a starkly different tone and presentation to the Savage doc vs. the previous Roddy Piper and Steve Austin films. If anyone believes WWE would have wanted to include the Gorgeous George comments or Lex Luger stating that he didn't "murder" Elizabeth on something that could one day land on the WWE Network, I'd advise them to think again.

This wasn't a case, as some readers have asked, of WWE deciding to attack Savage. It was the film the producers hired by A&E decided to tell.

As far as why Bubba the Love Sponge and comedian Dan Soder being included, again, that would have been a choice made by the producers, Billy Corben and Alfred Spellman, not WWE.

If you haven't seen the film, the first hour is very good especially the look at Savage's early life and his time wrestling for his family's promotion and Memphis wrestling. Ricky Steamboat and Peter Rosenberg do an excellent job discussing the Wrestlemania III match, including a tremendously funny moment where Hulk Hogan claims that they didn't go out there to upstage himself vs. Andre the Giant, followed by Steamboat making it clear they absolutely went out there with that intention.

The second hour gets remarkably dark, including allegations of Savage all but stalking Gorgeous George, coupled with a deep dive into the death of Elizabeth, which certainly had no connection to Savage. If you go into this expecting a celebration of Randy Savage, you will not enjoy the second hour.

It should be noted that Kevin Nash (who is not in the film enough) and Peter Rosenberg are exceptionally excellent in the doc with Rosenberg's closing comments about Savage's life and the importance culturally of professional wrestlers vs. athletes in other sports perhaps being his best work in anything WWE-related to date.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Lots of inaccuracies according to pwinsider.com:

We have received a lot of reader questions stemming from last night's A&E Biography on WWE Hall of Famer Randy Savage, specifically a story told by Jerry Lawler.

The story Jerry Lawler told about Randy Savage jumping to WCW and how Vince McMahon learned is completely incorrect and it appears to be Lawler misremembering Lex Luger's jump to WCW on the first episode of Nitro. Lawler's version is that McMahon was looking for Savage to go over the Raw format but he was not there and was told to watch TV. Lawler then described Vince's non-reaction to seeing Savage on TV on WCW that night. The only problem with that is that Nitro didn't exist when Savage left the WWF in November 1994, which was when McMahon, live on Raw, bid farewell to Savage and thanked him for his contributions to the WWF. Savage didn't debut for WCW until a December 1994 episode of WCW Saturday Night, which was taped, and certainly did not run opposite a WWF broadcast the same evening. While one can't fault Jerry Lawler for misremembering something from decades ago given how much he's seen and done in the business, it's surprising that made air without being double checked by A&E as a quick google would have show that tale didn't hold up to even the lightest of scrutiny.

There were some other factual and/or graphical errors made during the broadcast. Lex Luger was listed as Lex Lugar. The Mid-South Coliseum footage was listed as being from Lexington, when obviously it's always been in Memphis, TN. There appeared to be Memphis footage billed as content from the ICW promotion owned by the Poffos as well. Hulk Hogan even took credit for wrestlers living in Tampa when there was an entire territory in Florida based out of Tampa well before he broke into the business run by Eddie Graham.

There was also comment from Peter Rosenberg about how Savage and Ricky Steamboat never one touched during their build to Wrestlemania III, which implied they did not wrestle before, but obviously they had and did the angle with the timekeeper's bell to injure Steamboat. My belief is Rosenberg was speaking specifically about after the angle as they did not wrestle until Mania III and that the editing on the piece made it appear he was saying they never, ever wrestled, which certainly Rosenberg knew better.

As far as why the doc completely ignored Savage's WWE title win at Wrestlemania IV or even the Hulk Hogan feud in 1989, that would have been a decision made by the producers in order to examine other aspects of Savage's life and career. They did have Hogan note that they sold out everywhere he and Savage wrestled, which would be pretty much historically accurate as they always did well on house shows and then later on PPV.

In regard to questions about who produced the Biography episode, A&E had different production companies and teams working on the different episodes. WWE did not spearhead the production of any of the episodes but provided footage and talent for interviews. There were different teams working on the different films, which is why there was a starkly different tone and presentation to the Savage doc vs. the previous Roddy Piper and Steve Austin films. If anyone believes WWE would have wanted to include the Gorgeous George comments or Lex Luger stating that he didn't "murder" Elizabeth on something that could one day land on the WWE Network, I'd advise them to think again.

This wasn't a case, as some readers have asked, of WWE deciding to attack Savage. It was the film the producers hired by A&E decided to tell.

As far as why Bubba the Love Sponge and comedian Dan Soder being included, again, that would have been a choice made by the producers, Billy Corben and Alfred Spellman, not WWE.

If you haven't seen the film, the first hour is very good especially the look at Savage's early life and his time wrestling for his family's promotion and Memphis wrestling. Ricky Steamboat and Peter Rosenberg do an excellent job discussing the Wrestlemania III match, including a tremendously funny moment where Hulk Hogan claims that they didn't go out there to upstage himself vs. Andre the Giant, followed by Steamboat making it clear they absolutely went out there with that intention.

The second hour gets remarkably dark, including allegations of Savage all but stalking Gorgeous George, coupled with a deep dive into the death of Elizabeth, which certainly had no connection to Savage. If you go into this expecting a celebration of Randy Savage, you will not enjoy the second hour.

It should be noted that Kevin Nash (who is not in the film enough) and Peter Rosenberg are exceptionally excellent in the doc with Rosenberg's closing comments about Savage's life and the importance culturally of professional wrestlers vs. athletes in other sports perhaps being his best work in anything WWE-related to date.

It really makes sense that the Savage episode had a different production team. A noticeably different feel than the previous episodes. Also the weird action figure introductions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad