OT: All Purpose NCAA Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
I've never been a Stidham/Lock/Finley/Lewerke/whomever else fan. I had Herbert 1, then Grier and Haskins.

But I also have no idea how you would rank Tua right now. That's a tough read to make.

3rd most interesting prime time game tonight. Screw the rankings. Those teams have no juice for me at all anymore.
How would you compare Tua to Mayfield from last year?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I've never been a Stidham/Lock/Finley/Lewerke/whomever else fan. I had Herbert 1, then Grier and Haskins.

But I also have no idea how you would rank Tua right now. That's a tough read to make.

3rd most interesting prime time game tonight. Screw the rankings. Those teams have no juice for me at all anymore.

It’s going to be a terrible playoff I think. Bama is just superior to everybody else. No one is really bridging the gap no matter how much the media tries to hype up Ohio State as an equal. Georgia’s not done but their path isn’t going to lead to much optimism right now with no margin of error left.

I don’t have anything against Bama (you could insert any other team there under the same conditions & I’d say the same) beyond this but I’m just tired of their dominance at this point.

Asnito

Mar 2, 2017
It’s going to be a terrible playoff I think. Bama is just superior to everybody else. No one is really bridging the gap no matter how much the media tries to hype up Ohio State as an equal. Georgia’s not done but their path isn’t going to lead to much optimism right now with no margin of error left.

I don’t have anything against Bama (you could insert any other team there under the same conditions & I’d say the same) beyond this but I’m just tired of their dominance at this point.
In the last 15+ years I can't remember a team that looks so superior than everybody else.

I've been a Bama fan for decades and I can definitely see how it gets tiring. The year Bama beat Notre Dame I was actually fine with Georgia winning the SEC championship.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

Asnito

Mar 2, 2017
In the last 15+ years I can't remember a team that looks so superior than everybody else.

I've been a Bama fan for decades and I can definitely see how it gets tiring. The year Bama beat Notre Dame I was actually fine with Georgia winning the SEC championship.
Just wanted to add that at this point of the season Tua being out would probably make the games much more interesting for all college football fans

Asnito

Mar 2, 2017
BTW the fans storming the field after a big win is one of the best things about college football and one of the best traditions in all of sports .

Asnito

Mar 2, 2017
Gotta love them blasting Sweet Caroline after a big win in Ames.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
It's all about TV money. I'm bitter, verging on hateful. B1G brought in those two schools for the DC and NYC television markets, almost exclusively. A small caveat for UMD, their admission, plus that of Johns Hopkins, let the B1G create a lacrosse league.

But it was never about recruiting, because those are historic PSU grounds, plus the OSU & UM already recruited at a national level. Maryland/NJ kids aren't going to start flooding Iowa, Nebraska, etc. because of league affiliation. Also, the B1G has a rule of new members need to be contiguous to the already settled map. It greatly limits the schools that can join, the borders must remain combined. Top that off with the schools need to be of a high academic standing, expressed through research dollars, and it again limits who can be admitted.

I don't respect either school in general (except my buddy I attended the opener with is a Terp, and I respect that school for him alone). There is no rivalry with PSU and those schools, yet the general thought from the chuckle****s in Chicago seem determined that PSU needed some friends, and that's why they expanded east. **** that noise.

Nothing against Rutgers and Maryland, but the B1G inviting them for their TV markets was really shortsighted. Not many people in NYC care about Rutgers besides alumni. Same goes in DC for Maryland. I'd be curious to see the TV ratings in NY and DC for their games compared to the rest of the schools in the B1G. If the B1G wanted a true rival for Penn St., they should have invited Pitt.

The rule about schools needing to be continuous would quietly go out the window if Texas decided to leave the Big 12 for the B1G. Next to Notre Dame, Texas is a school that Delaney would love to have. They check all the boxes in academic and research standing, their athletic department is swimming in cash and Texas generates TV ratings. If Texas ever left the Big 12, they would go independent rather than join another conference.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Nothing against Rutgers and Maryland, but the B1G inviting them for their TV markets was really shortsighted. Not many people in NYC care about Rutgers besides alumni. Same goes in DC for Maryland. I'd be curious to see the TV ratings in NY and DC for their games compared to the rest of the schools in the B1G. If the B1G wanted a true rival for Penn St., they should have invited Pitt.

The rule about schools needing to be continuous would quietly go out the window if Texas decided to leave the Big 12 for the B1G. Next to Notre Dame, Texas is a school that Delaney would love to have. They check all the boxes in academic and research standing, their athletic department is swimming in cash and Texas generates TV ratings. If Texas ever left the Big 12, they would go independent rather than join another conference.

Someone can probably explain it better than me but to put it in simplier form. It’s about making the Big Ten Network available in those areas so cable companies could put it in their sports packages. The Big Ten cashed out on it & increased their tv deal to one of if not the most lucrative of all the conferences because they added those two teams even if they teams aren’t the biggest draws in themselves.

Now it’s definitely going to come back & bite them as cord cutting has & keeps getting more prevalent since they inked the current deal. So that’s going to swing the pendulum back.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Man, was I wrong on everything I thought Georgia was about a week ago. Their offense, despite all of Fromm's supposed growth, was so vanilla to start the year that you almost had to believe they were holding back the wrinkles until they got to the meat of their SEC schedule. Turns out, Fromm has certainly regressed this year as he's been asked to take on more responsibility. Probably doesn't help that an elite recruit is right behind him on the depth chart just waiting for his moment. Fromm was so much better last year when he was only responsible for making a read or two.

Kirby's got to make the same decision that Saban had to make in the championship game last year. One of the two QB's are not going to be in Athens at the start next year, and under no circumstances can the guy on the outs be Fields. His upside is too high to let go. Kirby's a pretty loyal guy, and he loves him some Fromm (he recruited him to two different schools), but Fields is the only hope they have of beating Bama in the next 2 or 3 years while Tua is around. The programs are carbon copies of each other, but Bama's is just a lot better to this point. They need Fields to be elite like Watson was elite.

Inside run stopping is still an issue as well, and it's also probably the area that Georgia struggles the most in recruiting. Playing DT for Kirby is not a sexy position. DT's are supposed to take up blocks while the LB's make all the plays (they have recruited LB better than anyone the last two cycles, and it's not close). Trenton Thompson leaving early was a bad idea for himself, but it also really hurt Georgia's interior DL this year.

Asnito

Mar 2, 2017
No idea what the hell I did but I meant to reply to a post?:oops:

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
The rule about schools needing to be continuous would quietly go out the window if Texas decided to leave the Big 12 for the B1G.

Pre-Nebby admitance, it was a fun game to stretch the B1G to Texas, Illi-Mizzou-OK/Ark-TX; Iowa-Nebby-KS-OK-TX. It's just very difficult to move through OK though, since the legislature there wants to keep OK and OK St in the same conference, and they have an out-weighted say in the manner. Something similar but to a lesser extent takes place in KS with KU and KSU. (Although, it should go without saying, a conference with Texas, likely will not also have Nebby.)

And although I cut the section from the quote above- the rivals for PSU was always window dressing and not a serious thought of admittance. At the best, it gives PSU alumni/fans easy games to travel to, as our closest game was OSU, and each subsequent game magnitudes further away. That's the B1G paying lip service, so they can feign concern whenever the need arises not to give two shits about PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad