FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
5334202ceab8ea541512cef8-1136-852.jpg
Is this for real?

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Missouri cooperated with the NCAA, that was their biggest mistake. The schools/people that tell them to go **** themselves always come away better than those that cooperate.
How did that work for USC? The NCAA is just an organization that punishes who they wish and turns their heads for those that they like. Interestingly, the USC v. NCAA thing is going back to court again via the McNair issue.
NCAA to appeal decision granting former USC assistant Todd McNair new trial in defamation lawsuit
My hope is that the McNair wins. Ive he does the NCAA use against USC falls apart. Then the university can go after damages from the NCAA and finally destroy it. Better to allow the conferences to deal with their members than the NCAA.

Last edited:

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Is this for real?
Unfortunately, yes it is. There was a decent outcry from actual UNC folks, staff, alumni, actives, etc. for the cheapening of their degrees/work by association. But not a loud enough cry to punish anyone of recognition. A few sacrificial lambs that probably didn't deserve the jobs they had anyway was the only real fall out, aside from brief public embarrassment.

Reactions: FlyerFaithful17

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
How did that work for USC? The NCAA is just an organization that punishes who they wish and turns their heads for those that they like. Interestingly, the USC v. NCAA thing is going back to court again. My hope is that the Trojans win and kick the NCAA so hard in damages that it is finally destroyed. Better to allow the conferences to deal with their members than the NCAA.
Just for the sake of it, USC was pre-Miami (F-YOU NCAA) and pre-PSU (WE WROTE A REPORT DETAILING DEAD BODIES FOR YOU NCAA). That was the watershed moment where offending schools had time relevant comparables to gauge which course of action to take.

USC had been playing by an outdated set of rules based on notions of fairness. It was utterly naive in retrospect.

USC probably saw the effects of multiple lawsuits on the NCAA regarding the PSU sanctions and decided if the NCAA caved there, they may cave again. Now, it was the state of Pennsylvania that sued the NCAA, and not for the school wins to be reinstated. However, without PSU recouping the fine money, nor the forfeited related bowl money, the NCAA did reverse course on the scholarship limits, post-season ban, and vacated wins as a CYA, move-along-nothing-to-see-here-move, and it preempted a differing lawsuit by the Paterno family that ultimately went out with a whimper. Pennsylvania got to keep control of the $60m from PSU for fines and etc., PSU got early leniency from penalties, and the NCAA got exposed for being feckless cuckolds.

And Miami, the U, said, "No, go pound sand." To which the NCAA remembering they were feckless cuckolds, picked up shop and left, even with the shady Shapiro doing his best to spill the beans and expose an alleged corrupt program.

Totally different scenarios. The new rule, don't cooperate with the NCAA if you don't have to. Just like you don't give a statement to the cops without your lawyer.

Edit: Interesting- if you remove the "old" from cuckolds, it becomes a censored word.

Last edited:

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
Unfortunately, yes it is. There was a decent outcry from actual UNC folks, staff, alumni, actives, etc. for the cheapening of their degrees/work by association. But not a loud enough cry to punish anyone of recognition. A few sacrificial lambs that probably didn't deserve the jobs they had anyway was the only real fall out, aside from brief public embarrassment.
Yep, I remember the scandal, but I wasn’t sure whether that “report” was legit or not. I can’t blame UNC students and alumni for being upset.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
It will never not make me laugh reading that the NCAA said what USC did and what happened at Penn State aren’t even remotely comparable.

Yeah, they’re not. But not in the way that you’re thinking, NCAA.

Reactions: Ruck Over

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The NCAA doesn’t have the public opinion on their side anymore. It’s not scorned fans who’s teams got caught in their cross hairs criticizing them anymore. It’s media members with no dogs in the fight & large platforms calling them out constantly now a days. Very people in today’s society believe in the charade of amateurism the NCAA has always peddled.

Even situations at Penn State, Baylor, etc. where it was easy to just sit out there was still people in the media railing against them.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
It will never not make me laugh reading that the NCAA said what USC did and what happened at Penn State aren’t even remotely comparable.

Yeah, they’re not. But not in the way that you’re thinking, NCAA.
The only similarity between the USC and PSU situations is that they were victims of an overzealous NCAA. Unfortunately for both of the universities lesser, jealous entities saw an opportunity to drag them down and were successful in that endeavor.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Top 3 is Clemson, Alabama, Georgia as expected. Ohio St at 15-1. See if you can guess who the other team under 20-1 is before you look.

Already knew before I looked - MY LONGHORNS ARE BACK, BABY.

They got themselves a Westlake QB, which means they're unstoppable. :sarcasm:
Sam Ehlinger is the real thing, big, strong and smart.

Hermans is going to be able to recruit like crazy now, Texas should never have been out of the national elite, they have such a huge recruiting advantage with the best pool of talent and the best place to spend 3-4 years - I mean Austin, TX v some SEC s**hole? (Miami has the beach, and USC/UCLA as well, but they're struggling to be relevant again).

With Oklahoma slipping and Texas A&M doomed to second fiddle status in the SEC, Texas has less competition at home and a great lure for Northern kids who want to get out of the snow. Plus, unlike the SEC schools, it's actually a top rated university for those kids who actually want an education.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Three-star defensive back Daequan Hardy committed to Penn State

He’s pretty athletic but the question will be size. It’s not just that he’s short at 5’9”-5’10” but he’s like 150 lbs. or whatever. But he’s essentially a late flyer/class filler type.

Tomorrow pretty much comes down to whether they can flip 4* S Nick Cross from Florida State. They’re expected to land 3* WR TJ Jones out of FL. But that pretty much looks it as far as potential goes.

They’ll probably hit the grad transfer market to pick up some bodies & take a pretty big class in 2020 (probably closer to 30 than 25).

Reactions: Cody Webster

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Can they go 5 over the 25 limit? This isn't the $EC, there are rules. I remember vaguely that a B1G can go over 25 if there is corresponding cause showing why a larger class size is necessary.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Can they go 5 over the 25 limit? This isn't the $EC, there are rules. I remember vaguely that a B1G can go over 25 if there is corresponding cause showing why a larger class size is necessary.

Michigan has gone over 25 signees 3 times now since Harbaugh took over with their largest being 30 in 2017. I can’t really imagine they had good reasons other than their numbers dictated it.

I don’t really know if Penn State will legitimately get past 80 scholarship players for next year.

Last edited:

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Fair enough, the rule is anti-grey shirting at its heart. So manybe if the recruits actually enter school and what-not, the limit is lifted.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Fair enough, the rule is anti-grey shirting at its heart. So manybe if the recruits actually enter school and what-not, the limit is lifted.

Honestly I don’t think grey-shirting really is that common of a practice anymore.

Harbaugh gets himself in trouble because he takes commitments from low hanging fruit early instead of just letting it play out until the end. The kid doesn’t progress enough like they’d hope &/or someone better comes along & he pulls their scholarship late in the process. He does it backwards to what other big schools do as they slow play those kids & see where things lie later in the game.

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Grey shirting isn't a thing now so much, but it was just recently, and the rule I'm horribly referencing is more than a few years old.

Never, ever, explain Harbaugh, he is a nozzle and pouty man-child. Let him just baste in his festering failure. That clown is paid how much to never win the B1G East? HA! I laugh, and fart, in Michigan's general direction, Northwest by west.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Grey shirting isn't a thing now so much, but it was just recently, and the rule I'm horribly referencing is more than a few years old.

Never, ever, explain Harbaugh, he is a nozzle and pouty man-child. Let him just baste in his festering failure. That clown is paid how much to never win the B1G East? HA! I laugh, and fart, in Michigan's general direction, Northwest by west.

Yeah the way college moves as fast as it goes & changes on the academic scholarship side now it’s naturally taken a lot of shadiness out of roster management. But Harbaugh finds a way to bring negative publicity his way with little upside for himself in the first place.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Willie sounds like Dutch in RDR2.

They got one scholarship QB on the roster for next year with James Blackman. He’s gonna have to climb out of a big hole here next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->