OT: All purpose NCAA thread v3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
It’s tough to say. I think they’ll be pretty good next year, possibly in the double digit win column again.

The defense should be pretty good though. There’s some question marks in the secondary but our DB coaches have been pretty good over the years putting guys in the league even though they’re not the most ballyhooed of recruits.
I don’t have issue with 3/4 of the secondary. The potential departure of Wade and McPhearson leaves a bit of a gap at Scott’s safety spot, but otherwise I’m comfortable with Reid, TCF, and Taylor. DT is my biggest concern. Givens declaring was a bummer.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Lovie just signed another transfer, OL Richie Pettibone from Bama. Pettibone joins WR AD Miller (Oklahoma), WR Jeff Thomas (Miami) and TE Luke Ford (Georgia) as transfers to Illinois. Heard Lovie wants to go after Hurts as well.
I love Lovie's beard. I wish nothing but success for him, except against PSU.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Lovie just signed another transfer, OL Richie Pettibone from Bama. Pettibone joins WR AD Miller (Oklahoma), WR Jeff Thomas (Miami) and TE Luke Ford (Georgia) as transfers to Illinois. Heard Lovie wants to go after Hurts as well.

Obviously guys like Thomas & Ford have to sit out a year so that devalues them to bigger schools but they’re not traditional transfers where they got left in the dust at their old school.

Even the grad transfers could supply some value given they’re coming down a long way from two playoff teams.

Transfers becoming so prevalent is good for schools of Illinois’ ilk. Unless kids can get waivers to play right away that’s going to keep the big schools mostly out of the transfer market.

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I think a0$u sucks as much as the next guy, but not gonna lie, I was pleased about the shenanigans concerning Martell, Fields, transferring, and instagram. That was an entertaining development.

MOAR (non-PSU related) TRANSFER CHAOS!

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Martel talked all this bravado prior & tucked tail as soon as it became official. I mean I don’t blame him for leaving but it was still funny.

Ultimately though Ohio State got the better QB & better fit for what they want to do. Martel was a Meyer type & Day didn’t think he could throw well enough in his offense.

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I was hoping Martell would stay, and cause drama in the locker room. But as long as a0$u sucks, the world will be ok. That and Harbaugh never winning a B1G East title, or anything else of note besides # of sleepovers at recruits' homes, is awesome.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think a0$u sucks as much as the next guy, but not gonna lie, I was pleased about the shenanigans concerning Martell, Fields, transferring, and instagram. That was an entertaining development.

MOAR (non-PSU related) TRANSFER CHAOS!

There’s a few more into the portal since they previous batch of announced names. But again they’re players buried beyond the two deep & have a year or two left to play.

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
There’s a few more into the portal since they previous batch of announced names. But again they’re players buried beyond the two deep & have a year or two left to play.
As you mentioned above, good teams have transfers. I don't see the guys transferring from PSU as CHAOS! Justin Fields kinda comes across as a twerp, and Martell definitely does. Those are examples of guys transferring out of fear because they weren't given the starting time they thought they deserved instead of earned. If someone transfers after graduating, or in time for the last year of eligibility because they actually enjoy playing football, instead of just practicing football, I got no beef (Jenkins).

The guys leaving PSU (transfers) are guys that already graduated (JJ, Polk, McPhearson), or had a shot at playing already but see the writing on the wall (Wade). They should be replaceable by others and aren't throwing shade at the coaches or others on the way out. Best of luck to them.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
QB is different. Good QB’s get beat out for jobs & there’s only one spot with no consistent rotation. It made sense for both Fields & Martell to leave their current situations. Fields had a guy a class ahead of him starting & Martell just had a kid a class below him transfer in. Let’s not kid ourselves there wasn’t going to be a competition for that spot at Ohio State. Fields won it as soon as he signed on the dotted line there at Ohio State. But even if he doesnt get the waiver why stay at a school that doesn’t want you for a year when there’s other schools out there that do & will give you the same treatment Fields got.

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I disagree about QB being different. Go out and win a job, that's the crux. Being dissatisfied with your choice, so young in your career (different than the Hurts or Bryant) is just sour grapes. Transferring for sour grapes is lame. Plenty of qbs catch fire in their last two years, or even 1 year, and get drafted. The WSU QB, Minshew is likely to get drafted, and he only had one year as a prominent starter. It can be done, suck it up. It was not a fait accompli neither Fields nor Martell could've gotten starter minutes at either of those schools. They both quit and decided it was too difficult to compete where they were and are looking to be gifted starter's minutes at their new location. Lame. If either of them had graduated, I'd eat my words and say go for it, having accomplished the student portion of student athlete, but that's not the case.

And as a PSU homer, a prime example is Tommy Stevens. Not nearly the level of recruit Fields or Martell was, he had a legitimate opportunity to transfer last year and begin an effort to establish his career elsewhere, but he stayed at PSU and continued to work toward becoming the starter after Trace's graduation. (Even then, it was always going to be a competition between him, Clifford, and whomever else. Just always expected Stevens would win it handily.)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Minshew transfered to Wazzu over Alabama because Leach promised him the job. Even still the guy is a day 3 pick.

Do you really think Baker Mayfield & Kyler Murray care if you call them quitters because they left their previous situations at other schools & made better for themselves elsewhere?

Kids want to play & coaches sell that as part of their recruiting pitches so they’re just as guilty as creating all the drama that comes with it. But I have absolutely zero issue with kids doing what is in their best interest if coaches are always doing it anyway even though society is more willing to exuse them for it.

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I'm not against players doing what's best for them, and the ability of players to move should mirror that of coaches. Minshew was also a grad transfer, which reinforced the aspect of folks with degrees going wherever was a-ok. Whether he's drafted in rounds 1, 2, or 3+, he's still going to be an NFL draftee. I argue transferring in the face of supposed adversity of competition is what's best for them.

Mayfield was a walk-on with Texas Tech, and transferred due to scholarship issues. I also have no problem with a guy not on scholarship transferring schools. As playing at a high level for a school is typically rewarded with said scholarship. Having to pay to be a team's starting qb seems a bit far fetched.

Kyler Murray is both sides of the coin. Personally, I think he should've stayed with Texas A&M, because he had actually beat out the guy during the season he was in competition with. But then he transferred to be a back-up, had that one-good year I made reference to, and is projected as a top of draft selection. So that's not the norm for Martell nor Fields. Neither of them is transferring to be a back-up for two years for the chance of one year as starting.

Wanting is great, earning and deserving is better. As PSU fans, we can appreciate CJF being referred to as a snake oil salesman. It is a complete farce. The man is a good recruiter, without selling fake promises. If selling fake promises become the norm by coaches to recruit transfer students (or regular recruits), there should be a change to the landscape to make that not the norm.

Reactions: FlyerFaithful17

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
So Saban isn’t putting together too hot of a staff after losing probably his best recruiters in Locksley, Gattis, Enos, & Tosh. Sark is the OC & Butch is taking a position while it looks like Kyle Flood is going to be the OLC.

On the other hand Locksley is putting together a dumpster fire of a staff at Maryland. Scottie Montgomery as OC & Charles Kelly as DC.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
You have to wonder if coaches are starting to figure if Saban's time is limited at UA. No one wants to be on that staff after Saban retires unless Dabo comes home.

Last edited:

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I don’t have issue with 3/4 of the secondary. The potential departure of Wade and McPhearson leaves a bit of a gap at Scott’s safety spot, but otherwise I’m comfortable with Reid, TCF, and Taylor. DT is my biggest concern. Givens declaring was a bummer.
When PSU brought in the JUCO safety and went hard after a bunch of others in this class it pretty much spelled the end of Wade. You can probably find a post of mine on here from a couple of years ago downplaying that Wade ranking. Athleticism be damned, you're just not going to make much of an impact at his size. Similar to Jamyest Williams from the same class. Great athletes, not P5 DB's due to size/length concerns.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
When PSU brought in the JUCO safety and went hard after a bunch of others in this class it pretty much spelled the end of Wade. You can probably find a post of mine on here from a couple of years ago downplaying that Wade ranking. Athleticism be damned, you're just not going to make much of an impact at his size. Similar to Jamyest Williams from the same class. Great athletes, not P5 DB's due to size/length concerns.

I wouldn’t even really say it’s his size that was/is holding him back. He was just always lost on the field at corner & safety. He even got passed up on the depth chart by another undersized corner we have in Donovan Johnson who was in the same class as Wade.

It was always crazy that Rivals had him as 5* & the 11th best player in the country. That was never a good bet. I think 247 had him outside their top 100 somewhere.

He thought he should be starting because of his recruiting rankings essentially & Franklin told him to pound sand. They cleaned his locker out & everything for him when he entered that transfer portal. :laugh:

Reactions: Ruck Over

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
You have to wonder if coaches are starting to figure if Saban's time is limited at UA. No one wants to be on that staff after Saban retires unless Dabo comes home.

Locksley & Gattis got promotions so they make sense but Key, Enos, & Tosh I can’t imagine they left on their own accord given where they went. He went young & recruiting based on his hires last cycle. Butch, Sark, & Flood seem like the opposite of that & too much to the other side. I wouldn’t really be too inspired by that if I was a Bama fan.

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I wouldn’t even really say it’s his size that was/is holding him back. He was just always lost on the field at corner & safety. He even got passed up on the depth chart by another undersized corner we have in Donovan Johnson who was in the same class as Wade.

It was always crazy that Rivals had him as 5* & the 11th best player in the country. That was never a good bet. I think 247 had him outside their top 100 somewhere.

He thought he should be starting because of his recruiting rankings essentially & Franklin told him to pound sand. They cleaned his locker out & everything for him when he entered that transfer portal. :laugh:
Learing about the new portal/transfer rules after the fact, and 2nd hand, I'm fine with this.

As I understand it, coaches can no longer block a student from transferring to any accepting school. In turn, the coaches can pull a scholarship from a student who enters the portal. The student, if the scholarship is not pulled, can return to the original school still a scholarship athlete. There's risk-reward for both parties, I like that.

If PSU was clear with Wade that if he entered the portal, his space on the team/roster/schollie was effectively gone, sobeit. His choice, he left, best of luck in his next (non-B1G) venture.

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
Totally agreed. I also don’t follow high school ball much, but word is he was in a relatively unchallenging league. I think it is Sutherland’s job to lose though. The coaches seem to love him.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Brisker the JUCO safety they took will probably be one of their starters eventually. He’s got a better skill set than both Taylor & Sutherland. He has the potential to be more than just a box safety & you typically don’t take JUCO’s unless you think they can play right away.

Another thing is Steve Wiltfong on 247 said this morning that he thinks 4* S Nick Cross flips from Florida State in the end. He’s visiting for an official the last weekend before signing & his parents really want him at Penn State.

He’s a top 100 kid so you should expect him to play right away & factor into the two deep.

They’ll probably move a corner over (perhaps Trent Gordon?) to build up some numbers. So ultimately it won’t be a big deal. If you’re down to like 5-6 options or more in game than you’re already in trouble unless you’re like Alabama.

Last edited:

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
Brisker the JUCO safety they took will probably be one of their starters eventually. He’s got a better skill set than both Taylor & Sutherland. He has the potential to be more than just a box safety & you typically don’t take JUCO’s unless you think they can play right away.

Another thing is Steve Wiltfong on 247 said this morning that he thinks 4* S Nick Cross flips from Florida State in the end. He’s visiting for an official the last weekend before signing & his parents really want him at Penn State.

He’s a top 100 kid so you should expect him to play right away & factor into the two deep.

They’ll probably move a corner over (perhaps Trent Gordon?) to build up some numbers. So ultimately it won’t be a big deal. If you’re down to like 5-6 options or more in game than you’re already in trouble unless you’re like Alabama.
You may be right. I tend to be skeptical of JUCOs until proven otherwise. I hope he’s a star, of course. I like Taylor a lot. He has a good nose for the ball, but he looks slowwww.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->