OT: All purpose NCAA thread v3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Jim Chaney left Georgia to take the OC position at Tennessee. Not sure that's a bad thing unless Pittman leaves with him. Chaney's still calling games like it's 1995.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
acc wouldnt let in any of the florida schools because that is Miami territory. Miami could leave if that happened. Getting Miami was a big deal at the time for the ACC and made them a legit football conference, they dont want to rock that boat too much. Memephis is louisville terriotry. Philly/ jersey is open for business if Temple can just find away to show some long term stability and potentially get their own stadium. I was Hoping that Temples Stadium would be a dual MLS/ temple stadium in the City. I thought that would be a way to sell it, but alas it never worked out.
Memphis is 400 miles from the Louisville campus. Louisville doesn't even recruit in Tennessee. They focus on second/third tier kids from Georgia, Florida, and Alabama mostly. Clemson is really the only ACC program that pokes its head into Tennessee, and that's usually only to snatch a recruit or two at the top.

Miami's not in any position to dictate to the conference anymore. They're not the power brand that they were 15 years ago. Can't shut down South Florida recruiting anymore, can't find a long term coach, private school without the booster support of a big state school, etc. What are they going to do? Leave and go independent again? Good luck with that. And the SEC has shown little interest in expansion after getting the inroad to Texas with A&M.

Moving forward, Clemson, Florida State, and Notre Dame (if they eventually jump completely into the conference) will be the power brands from the football side, while UNC, Duke, Virginia, Louisville, and Syracuse will be the basketball powers. Miami looks poised to be a second tier program in both sports.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Just to wrap up the conversation about ticket prices, interest, etc. from the game on Monday. After being told it wasn't the match-up that caused a depression in prices, I alluded to tv being a neutral arbiter.

Well, tv had it's say that this was blasé as well.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Hey, @flyershockey -- Chaney's the highest paid OC in the country. He got 1.6 per. I'm dying. :laugh:
That's some desperate shit from Fulmer and co. The guy wants nothing to do with recruiting and his X's and O's are pretty dated, even by SEC standards.

Not sure how I feel about Coley bumping up to OC, but I guess Kirby wants to keep that South Florida pipeline open and is willing to give him a shot. Word is Pittman is about to get paid. He might end up the highest paid positional coach in college football.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Seems like some people are conflating the idea that they took him from Georgia & gave him a boatload of money as if that makes it a great hire.

You might get a better look at how outdated his offense is with the way lesser talent base in Tennessee currently.

Reactions: flyershockey

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Not surprisingly, Hurts has entered his name into the transfer portal. 99.9% chance he is leaving Bama.

Source: Bama QB Hurts enters transfer portal

On the Temple head coaching front, Feldman reported that NIU coach Rod Carey has emerged as the frontrunner for the Temple job. Wisconsin OC Joe Rudolph and Eastern Michigan coach Chris Creighton are also in the mix, per Philly.com.

Knowing very little about NIU, I wonder why Carey would want to leave? He has coached there for 6 years, capturing 2 MAC titles, and has never coached or lived outside the Midwest. A move to Temple would be a lateral one at best.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Not surprisingly, Hurts has entered his name into the transfer portal. 99.9% chance he is leaving Bama.

Source: Bama QB Hurts enters transfer portal

On the Temple head coaching front, Feldman reported that NIU coach Rod Carey has emerged as the frontrunner for the Temple job. Wisconsin OC Joe Rudolph and Eastern Michigan coach Chris Creighton are also in the mix, per Philly.com.

Knowing very little about NIU, I wonder why Carey would want to leave? He has coached there for 6 years, capturing 2 MAC titles, and has never coached or lived outside the Midwest. A move to Temple would be a lateral one at best.

Seems like a safe hire after previous guys bolting for other jobs so quickly.

It just is what it is. Things are faster accelerated in college now a days. Fair or not coaches at P5 jobs are getting 3-4 years now to prove their worth. So I wouldn’t really worry about that if I was making a hiring.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
He probably will but the writing is on the wall there regardless for Martell. It would be funny if he transferred though & Fields wasn’t allowed to play right away.
I would lirl... a lot at that. Between Fields and his team acting like total twats and OSU's supposed tampering, I would love nothing more than to see both get f***ed.

Reactions: Ruck Over

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

I don’t know if this is intentional or not on Saban’s end as well but yeah he’s starting over with most of his offensive staff. He’s lost Locksley (OC), Gattis (WR), Key (OL), & now Enos (QB). Key & Enos essentially taking lateral moves in title with Georgia Tech & Miami respectively.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018

I don’t know if this is intentional or not on Saban’s end as well but yeah he’s starting over with most of his offensive staff. He’s lost Locksley (OC), Gattis (WR), Key (OL), & now Enos (QB). Key & Enos essentially taking lateral moves in title with Georgia Tech & Miami respectively.

he'll just hire new guys to take the blame if they lose. if they win it's because of him, if they lose it's those assistant coaches' fault.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
One can only hope that Saban and Bama is slowly beginning to decline. No offense to @Asnito, but it would be refreshing not to see them in the playoff next year.

Reactions: Asnito

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I’m dying right now seeing some of the Penn State fan base being ushered into 2019 era of big boy football this offseason.

I don’t know if they’ll end up transferring but we’ve had like 5 depth players enter the transfer portal lately including Lamont Wade who’s done nothing since getting to campus despite being a high 4*. If they do end up transferring they’ll all end up going to worse schools than Penn State, some probably even way down to FCS level.

This is ultimately the product of bringing in back to back top ten classes & creating a much more competitive depth charts in a much faster moving era of college football. This isn’t like Franklin’s first few years of recruiting classes where guys were afforded a lot of time to develop if needed & some were even pressed into action regardless because of scholarship numbers & not necessarily merit based.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
I’m dying right now seeing some of the Penn State fan base being ushered into 2019 era of big boy football this offseason.

I don’t know if they’ll end up transferring but we’ve had like 5 depth players enter the transfer portal lately including Lamont Wade who’s done nothing since getting to campus despite being a high 4*. If they do end up transferring they’ll all end up going to worse schools than Penn State, some probably even way down to FCS level.

This is ultimately the product of bringing in back to back top ten classes & creating a much more competitive depth charts in a much faster moving era of college football. This isn’t like Franklin’s first few years of recruiting classes where guys were afforded a lot of time to develop if needed & some were even pressed into action regardless because of scholarship numbers & not necessarily merit based.

It's funny reading some of the posts. They're losing it

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006

Attrition is real when you're recruiting at a high level. It shouldn't always be viewed as a bad thing. It means your team is talented.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Attrition is real when you're recruiting at a high level. It shouldn't always be viewed as a bad thing. It means your team is talented.

Like we’re definitely down in numbers especially at safety & won’t be coming close to the 85 number for this year but it is what it is. Kids don’t want to sit the bench after doing so multiple years already.

It was a quick turnaround in recruiting & by next year it will balance itself out more when we should bring in a third straight top ten class. The 2020 class probably will be a 25+ kid class now & the region has better talent than this cycle especially in area of needs. For the first time this class we’ve legitimately signed some southern kids that bigger schools from down there wanted.

There’s probably also some shock with a guy like Wade given his recruiting rankings but there’s guys rated higher than him who don’t have as obviously flaws coming into college as he did that flame out too.

We gotta flip Nick Cross from Florida State now though. We needed him regardless but he’s a kid who can legitimately factor into the two deep & play right away.

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
Like we’re definitely down in numbers especially at safety & won’t be coming close to the 85 number for this year but it is what it is. Kids don’t want to sit the bench after doing so multiple years already.

It was a quick turnaround in recruiting & by next year it will balance itself out more when we should bring in a third straight top ten class. The 2020 class probably will be a 25+ kid class now & the region has better talent than this cycle especially in area of needs. For the first time this class we’ve legitimately signed some southern kids that bigger schools from down there wanted.

There’s probably also some shock with a guy like Wade given his recruiting rankings but there’s guys rated higher than him who don’t have as obviously flaws coming into college as he did that flame out too.

We gotta flip Nick Cross from Florida State now though. We needed him regardless but he’s a kid who can legitimately factor into the two deep & play right away.
I’m not overly concerned with the transfers, but I think this next year may be critical for Franklin’s long term success. It’s officially a team of elite recruits now and there are still plenty of people who think he can’t win big without Barkley. He needs to prove that he can do more than recruit (another popular stance on him) and develop these players at a high level consistently.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I’m not overly concerned with the transfers, but I think this next year may be critical for Franklin’s long term success. It’s officially a team of elite recruits now and there are still plenty of people who think he can’t win big without Barkley. He needs to prove that he can do more than recruit (another popular stance on him) and develop these players at a high level consistently.

It’s tough to say. I think they’ll be pretty good next year, possibly in the double digit win column again.

The defense should be pretty good though. There’s some question marks in the secondary but our DB coaches have been pretty good over the years putting guys in the league even though they’re not the most ballyhooed of recruits.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Lovie just signed another transfer, OL Richie Pettibone from Bama. Pettibone joins WR AD Miller (Oklahoma), WR Jeff Thomas (Miami) and TE Luke Ford (Georgia) as transfers to Illinois. Heard Lovie wants to go after Hurts as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->