OT: All Purpose NCAA Football Thread Part IV (Summer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I think Clemson gets the 1 seed. Nate Silver gives OSU a 40% chance of getting the final spot. Alabama 28% and USC 20%. Could you imagine if they put USC in? :laugh:

Either way the Nike schools sweep the Playoff again.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I’d be shocked if it wasn’t Ohio St. I get the apprehension and the overrating of Alabama’s season, but Ohio St is a ratings driver too. A 1 loss less popular team would have been screwed.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I’d be shocked if it wasn’t Ohio St. I get the apprehension and the overrating of Alabama’s season, but Ohio St is a ratings driver too. A 1 loss less popular team would have been screwed.

I think people are using the argument last year & it’s not an apples to apples one. Ohio State went 3-1 last year against teams that were in the top ten in the final playoff rankings. Two of the wins were on the road & the loss came on the road too in a close game. They didn’t have a conference championship but they had the best resume by a good margin of any of the teams. People pitted Penn State against Ohio State in the argument but to me it was more so Penn State against Washington for that last spot. I think if Penn State didn’t get blown out by Michigan earlier in the year they would have gotten the nod.

That isn’t the case at all with Alabama this year. They lost Auburn who will likely be their only top 10 opponent in the final rankings. Their best win is to a 9-3 LSU team that lost to Troy. Miss State & Fresno State aren’t anything to write home about either despite being in the back half of the last rankings.

This year it basically comes down to what you value more. Ohio State’s wins over Wisconsin, Penn State, & Michigan State but an ugly loss to Iowa or Alabama with no ugly loss but no key wins either. As far as eye test both teams are talented but have flaws & are beatable by the other three teams. This Alabama team isn’t the same as last year when you just knew they’d steamroll whoever they drew in the first round. I think this playoff will actually be more competitive this year.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
I have thought this since the first idea of a playoff committee was announced, but they should have left the BCS in place and had the top 4(or however many you want) in the playoff. At least the BCS was much less biased than a bunch of human in a room deciding

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Ohio State's AD is on the selection committee, how do they not get in?
He's not allowed to be involved with the rankings, but yeah, it's kind of silly that he's even on the committee. A team like Ohio State is always going to be a part of the ranking.

Frank Beamer isn't allowed to vote either because his son, Shane, is the special teams coach at UGA.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
And Bama is favored in the opening line. I think that one has the potential to get ugly with Bama's injuries at LB.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
If that’s how the committee is going to work, 8 teams doesn’t water it down much more. Two of the big Championship Games didn’t matter.

Reactions: Cody Webster

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Harbaugh looks like he’s getting ready to raid Ole Miss.

If I am reading it correctly seniors for the 2017 season are allowed to transfer no questions asked. Kids with eligibility before that have to request a waiver from the NCAA to do so.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Chad Morris to Arkansas. I saw a rumor they offered Brent Venables $2.5M to come there to be the DC under Morris.

Jeremy Pruitt seems to be the front runner for the Tennessee job.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Ohio State’s recruiting class is sputtering down the stretch, just lost a 5* DL tonight. :)
Bama or UGA bound. Apparently, UGA has been gaining steam behind the scenes all season with the season they're putting in under Kirby year two. I imagine the in-state pressure is picking up as well.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Bama or UGA bound. Apparently, UGA has been gaining steam behind the scenes all season with the season they're putting in under Kirby year two. I imagine the in-state pressure is picking up as well.

Yeah there’s been rumors all year that Larry Johnson would be retiring after the year. Then his son replied to someone on twitter this past weekend saying his dad’s been trying to retire for a while now. They lost this kid, they dropped Parsons, & they’re losing out on their other DL targets. They’re losing some guys to the NFL along the line so they need some contributiors from day 1 in this class.

If he really is retiring I’m guessing Urbs was going to keep him on until February then let him go when he gets the signatures.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Yeah there’s been rumors all year that Larry Johnson would be retiring after the year. Then his son replied to someone on twitter this past weekend saying his dad’s been trying to retire for a while now. They lost this kid, they dropped Parsons, & they’re losing out on their other DL targets. They’re losing some guys to the NFL along the line so they need some contributiors from day 1 in this class.

If he really is retiring I’m guessing Urbs was going to keep him on until February then let him go when he gets the signatures.
Ultimately, I'm not sure Larry Johnson's status really means much. I think, like Fields, instate pressure and proximity are bigger factors. Georgia kids in the '18 and '19 cycles are under a ton of pressure to stay home right now the way a lot of '17 kids did. That and they have legitimate reason to believe that Kirby is the real deal now that he's in the playoff in year two.

Alabama is Alabama. He might still end up there because Saban has apparently locked in on him and made him the number one priority. He's giving UGA the last visit before the first signing day, which is always the best visit to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->