All-Purpose Joonas Korpisalo Thread

Ted Brautigan

Dec 16, 2011
Have a little patience , Take That Song from years ago.

I think now that patience is paying up, Joonas will be even better than Bobrovski. At least during this season.

Was somehow weird when Torts punished him for breaking stick. Should give effing reward for showing emotions. Like Torts do by himself.

Reactions: thebus88

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Have a little patience , Take That Song from years ago.

I think now that patience is paying up, Joonas will be even better than Bobrovski. At least during this season.

Was somehow weird when Torts punished him for breaking stick. Should give effing reward for showing emotions. Like Torts do by himself.

Well said, Ted.

As I have said before, Korpisalo is the real deal.

Very good goalie, with the potential to be great. Possibly 3 Vezina's great.

He should have had many more starts in the past, especially last year, before and after showergate.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I dont get this. Is this sarcasm?

He's attempting to mock me, the person who has been very high on Kopisalo for a long time, and has at the same time trashed Ole Bobby Boy for just as long.

Bobrovsky wasnt as good of a teammate or player and wasn't as loved in the locker room as some would like to believe. It wasn't just last year. It is what it is.

We've gone from "Backup Korpisalo" to "Starter Korpisalo". Do we see "Playoff Korpisalo" later this year?

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Yeah he's playing well, but just how much of it is because of the DEFENSE?

Remember, its Joonas Korpisalo AND the CBJ.

Why don't you take that bag off, hit the showers, and go to bed.

Maybe hit up some old highlights of lockout season Vezina's and then dream of past lost playoff tiebreakers.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I dont get this. Is this sarcasm?

Yes. Using an old "argument" against Bob. Korpi has been pretty great this year. A definite bright spot. I wasn't being serious.

Bobrovsky wasnt as good of a teammate or player and wasn't as loved in the locker room as some would like to believe. It wasn't just last year. It is what it is.

You literally have zero credibility or information to back up these statements.

Why don't you take that bag off, hit the showers, and go to bed.

Maybe hit up some old highlights of lockout season Vezina's and then dream of past lost playoff tiebreakers.

Coincidentally (again!) you disappeared during the worst stretches of this season, yet here you are when they've won 5 in a row. You're the definition of fair weather fan. Oh wait, as I recall you were "happy" we lost to Boston last season so Bob wouldn't get praised. True fan!

Happy Holidays though.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
NHL.com Stats

Of the 32 goalies who have played 20 or more games, Korpisalo ranks 8th in GAA at 2.54.

His season has truly been remarkable. After a so-so start, he's been excellent most of the way. He's cut out the soft goals and maintained his "wow" saves. The workload appears to be helping him. Hopefully he carries this momentum into 2020, and if he finishes the year with this kind of stat line he's going to be rewarded handsomely (and deservedly so).

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
A simple, "good call on Korpi", would suffice. :xbg:

I hate to have to respond to these ridiculous repetitive comments, but, they are directed to me personally, and I ironically see who has 'liked' said comments, and feel I should respond....

You literally have zero credibility or information to back up these statements.

You aren't the judge of my "credibility", when it comes to anything hockey or psychologically, in regards to quotes and body language involving teammates and their goalie. Well before the things (that did happen) happened last year, and the truth couldn't be hidden from the public, I knew something was off. Lots of manufactured "love" for Bobby. Most of the quotes you would hear from players, coaches and management were (IMO:eyeroll:) the epitome of the stereotypical and robotic pump-up-our-teammate talk. I mean, do you really think that skinny ass dude is REALLY, "the hardest worker in the weight room", or whatever other fluff the guys would speak? Hardest sleeper in the hot tub maybe, soaking those groins for too long.

And over time, the reason and need for all the reinforcement was pretty clear.... Bobby's HUGE and yet FRAIL ego. Nobody, even myself, ever really thought he was a BAD goalie. What I, and yes many others came to terms with, is that he can be bad. At times, VERY BAD. At times, at the VERY WORST TIMES. And yet the perception to many fans and "media" when the team started to win games, was that Bobrovsky had a HUGE impact on that. Now look, ANY GOALIE, good or bad, has an "IMPACT" on their teams' performance, the question is how much. THAT is where (my) Bobrovsky AND the Bluejackets, thing comes from. It became the popular narrative, especially after the Vezina wins, that without Bobrovsky the team literally couldn't "win". That narrative trickles down to the other players, who bust there asses in front of that dude on a daily basis, see the weak ass goals at the worst possible times, and have to actually interact with his diva attitude on a daily basis. I can guarantee you from what ended up happening last year was just confirmation that the "relationship" between not only Bob and Jarmo/Torts, but Bob and the team, was NOT "healthy". Jarmo should have made a deal shortly after the season started, at the very least, last year, and went with Korpisalo. I say that NOW, and I said it THEN.

There have been more than a couple red flags if you wanted to pay any attention, going quite a ways back to the sports psychologist talk, where instead of taking it like a highly paid (in general and especially in relation to teams cap) professional or thinking about his position and impact on the teams performance, Bobby essentially said, "its not me, it the TEAM". Like many fans here, give himself credit for the good, but remove responsibility for the bad. Things didn't just start to happen last year, all the quotes from all the most important people in the organization, was just confirmation that things had been less than great behind the scenes for quite some time.

"They know my plans" (Bob) and "It is what it is" (Jones) are 9 simple words/2 simple quotes that say more than enough for me. So is the "motto" the team has near the dressing room that I saw (ironically I believe an away broadcast) that some may not know about.

"Our TEAM above all, above all our TEAM"

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
A simple, "good call on Korpi", would suffice. :xbg:
Congratulations, you made a good call on Korpi. Your continued aversion to anything and everything Bob still seems rather bizarre, though. Frankly, it feels a lot to me like, when some outside folks started presuming he was all there was to the team, you (like many of us here) found that exasperating and annoying and inaccurate, and subsequently (unlike most folks here) have been taking that frustration out on Bob and anyone who speaks well of him instead of the idiot talking heads who frankly quit spreading that nonsense years ago such that it shouldn't even be an issue anymore.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Coincidentally (again!) you disappeared during the worst stretches of this season, yet here you are when they've won 5 in a row. You're the definition of fair weather fan. Oh wait, as I recall you were "happy" we lost to Boston last season so Bob wouldn't get praised. True fan!

To the repetitive false/misleading narratives.....

I have tried to explain to you about my prior long time disappearance, you seem to think it was because the team was bad, it was because of how I would respond to those who thought the team was bad. That's as much as I can say to you, hopefully not too much. The problem is you and others get much too positive and much to negative during these "good/bad stretches". 5 games is 5 games and 16 games is 16 games. I've been around the entire year bashing the supposed "competetion" that Korpisalo has had for the starting role. Interesting how that turned out, eh?

Ironically and SADLY you were one of the more positive CBJ posters on here until recently when the bag went back on. You know exactly how frustrating and pointless it can be to come around here when the team isnt playing well or not winning games. But I have continued to be CBJ positive and (well, before Bjorkstrand out a month) have been just as passive-aggressively pro CBJ as I have in prior years, and been calling for the playoffs. And no, the 108+ point prediction was never serious, "bubble-playoff team", yes. And thats from somebody who doesn't see "bubble" as "not good". Essentially any team that makes the playoffs in the NHL can win the Cup.

What different/positive feelings would people have if we beat Boston? Not many people seem to CARE AT ALL that we beat TB, especially the way we did, because "look at the team now!!"..... The idea that was trashed by many CBJ fans last year about "selling the farm", has essentially now taken hold of the same group. The 1 deal that was probably questioned the most at the time, is still the worst move, Duclair/Dzingel/2nds, and yet the people who claim that these 2nd round picks are so important ALSO claim that the team is so bad that 2nd round picks wont make a difference.

The current team is simply not the same team as last year. Especially the playoff team. Losing Panarin and Duchene is a big difference, but it is just 2 players. Same goes for Bobby, except he is just 1 player, AND HE WALKED OUT ON THE TEAM.

"Starter Korpisalo"

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
GAA shows more about the defense than it does the goalie. Of that same sample size you pulled Korpi ranks 15th in sv %.

Still quite a bit better than what was predicted here, eh??

Lets see what the "career numbers" and "FACTS" look like at the end of the year.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
one thing that is absolutely noticeable within the last month of his play is his confidence.

i've never saw Korpi come to the top of his crease and contest the shooters that way, more than I'm seeing now.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
A simple, "good call on Korpi would suffice

I’ll give you a tip of the hat for your unwavering support of Korpi. While I’ve questioned his ability to be a #1 goalie - and still down deep maintain some reservations - there is no question he has been playing like a true #1. :thumbu: And to think not is to be quibbling about individual goals and overlook the lack of goal support in too many starts.

Full disclaimer- now I fully maintain the right to later this year do a fan’s 180 and label him a backup. :laugh: :laugh:

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

To the repetitive false/misleading narratives.....

I have tried to explain to you about my prior long time disappearance, you seem to think it was because the team was bad, it was because of how I would respond to those who thought the team was bad. That's as much as I can say to you, hopefully not too much. The problem is you and others get much too positive and much to negative during these "good/bad stretches". 5 games is 5 games and 16 games is 16 games. I've been around the entire year bashing the supposed "competetion" that Korpisalo has had for the starting role. Interesting how that turned out, eh?

Yeah, I am aware of why you were gone for LONG stretches, but I'm talking about the stretches where the team losses 2-3 in a row and playing bad. Frequently, you aren't here after losses. Now, before you've said that its because the board is horrible to deal with after losses because of the too positive/too negative thing, but again, you're only here when the sun is up and bright to explain how right you are.

Yes, you were steady in your appreciation to Korpi. Credit where its due. But to attempt to deflate your ego just a little bit, you were also saying Dalpe was a lock to make the team.

Ironically and SADLY you were one of the more positive CBJ posters on here until recently when the bag went back on. You know exactly how frustrating and pointless it can be to come around here when the team isnt playing well or not winning games. But I have continued to be CBJ positive and (well, before Bjorkstrand out a month) have been just as passive-aggressively pro CBJ as I have in prior years, and been calling for the playoffs. And no, the 108+ point prediction was never serious, "bubble-playoff team", yes. And thats from somebody who doesn't see "bubble" as "not good". Essentially any team that makes the playoffs in the NHL can win the Cup.

The bag on head avatar is kind of my version of "I'm glad Boston beat us" because I'm not really "embarrassed" to be a CBJ fan. Just like I don't believe you were actually glad Boston beat us. It's just an avatar, one to maybe cause a chuckle out of some. Nothing more.

I'd like to think I'm pretty even keeled about the CBJ. Sometimes I stray away from the line, but I try to put a positive spin on this year just because of our underdog mentality after the summer we had.

What different/positive feelings would people have if we beat Boston? Not many people seem to CARE AT ALL that we beat TB, especially the way we did, because "look at the team now!!"..... The idea that was trashed by many CBJ fans last year about "selling the farm", has essentially now taken hold of the same group. The 1 deal that was probably questioned the most at the time, is still the worst move, Duclair/Dzingel/2nds, and yet the people who claim that these 2nd round picks are so important ALSO claim that the team is so bad that 2nd round picks wont make a difference.

The current team is simply not the same team as last year. Especially the playoff team. Losing Panarin and Duchene is a big difference, but it is just 2 players. Same goes for Bobby, except he is just 1 player, AND HE WALKED OUT ON THE TEAM.

"Starter Korpisalo"

I think most CBJ fans still talk about Tampa. Most of us here (I think?) believe going all in was worth it. However, outside of this board that is not the way people think. I care a lot about beating Tampa. Those memories are some of the fondest hockey memories I have. Maybe I'm wrong and a lot of posters here don't think beating Tampa was worth "selling the farm" for, but I liked the move and applaud it (even though I was not on board with doing it at the time).

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Qbert swearing.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->