All-Purpose Joonas Korpisalo Thread

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Korpi deserves his own thread.

Despite his stats looking pretty bad on paper, he has made some key saves that have changed the complexity of the games he has started in. The team looks like an entirely different team when he has started too. Also, we’re 4-0-0 in his four starts so far this season.. which is what matters most.

Korpi’s stats thru 4 starts:

4-0-0.
3.46 GAA
.897 save percentage.

—————————

Jackets offense with Korpi: 4.75 goals/game.
Jackets offense with Bob: 3.00 goals/game.

Jackets defense with Korpi: 3.50 goals against/game.
Jackets defense with Bob: 4.00 goals against/game.

Obviously Korpi has a smaller sample size but, interesting.

Reactions: Facifer

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
He's making timely saves. However, he's also letting in at least one should have had goal per game. He's winning games which is the most important thing, and for that reason he should keep playing, but he has to get better. Although, it's not just on him. I've said it for Bob and I will say it for him, the team defense has been abysmal all season.

Heaver

Oct 16, 2017
Is anybody comfortable with Korpisalo going in as starter next year if no Bob? Or for sure there would have to be a new #1?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Is anybody comfortable with Korpisalo going in as starter next year if no Bob? Or for sure there would have to be a new #1?
There's at least one guy here who has no concerns whatsoever on that score.

The rest of the board is more or less mixed between "I suppose we could give it a try" and/or "he's not looked good, it's too soon" and/or "he's horrible, we're doomed, fire everybody".

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Korpi may turn out to be a great goalie. At least I hope he does considering all the mess on the market there. It would be a shame if Jackets had to go down the Philly's road next year.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I don't think he's a number one and hasn't been "good" since Bob got injured and he played 30 some games, and that was three years ago? That same season he had to be replaced by Forsberg in the AHL playoffs. He lets in super soft goals and while acrobatic and highlight reel saves are nice, they just show that he's out of position. I'd be fine with him in his current role next season, but we need a UFA with some starter experience like Howard or Talbot that'll take a two year deal for 4 million cap hit.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Korpi develops very nicely into an elite #1 the NHL video game franchise, so I am not worried.

In reality, I would assume he gets the chance to be the starter next year with a strong veteran backup in place in case he keeps a sub-.900 sv %. (bold take right?)

I do like the idea of Jimmy Howard on a short term deal. Dude has been very solid on a bad team.

Last edited:

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
If the Columbus Blue Jackets decide to open with the "Elvis and Joonas Revue", I'm just fine with that. That actually saves some $$ which could be used on Panarin, Stone, Duchene, or a couple options. Going the first 41 games to see if these guys can handle it is not the death of the franchise. Jarmo has the ability and resources to solve whatever problem might be facing him this time next year. The depth resources Jarmo has available are 5 or 10x better than when he got here 5-6 years ago.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Korpi is about as good as Bob has been this season. That's not going to get us where we want to go. Hopefully he can improve with more games in front of the net. We may have to find out.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

2015-16Columbus Blue JacketsNHL3102179778202.60161148910.920
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

NHL Totals 7902 12.9338268 0.907
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]

I'm still waiting for somebody to explain to me THESE NUMBERS before I jump off the Korpisalo "bandwagon".

Many people here really don't understand the impact it has on a goalie to be a backup and not play very often at all.

Especially on a young GROWING goaltender. There's a reason MANY better "backup" goalies are older guys, and there is a CLEAR TRANSITION period, other than the actual switch, for almost every goalie who goes from a "starter" to a "backup" and from a "backup" to a "starter".

You could argue that the CBJ (and the fans) have never had this opportunity to go from a capable starting veteran to a capable starting young "backup", so they (the fans) really wouldn't know what that player should look like.

Korpisalo is that player, and he's been ready for a year now, if not more.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If the Columbus Blue Jackets decide to open with the "Elvis and Joonas Revue", I'm just fine with that. That actually saves some $$ which could be used on Panarin, Stone, Duchene, or a couple options. Going the first 41 games to see if these guys can handle it is not the death of the franchise. Jarmo has the ability and resources to solve whatever problem might be facing him this time next year. The depth resources Jarmo has available are 5 or 10x better than when he got here 5-6 years ago.

I could handle it starting the season with Korpi and Elvis and getting a veteran later if you need one, if they were really hard up for $$. But we have a lot more $$ to spare if Bob and Panarin are gone (~$20m) that we wouldn't all be able to spend next year. You could get the next two top free agents (extremely optimistic scenario) and still have money to spare. The spare money would be of more use in future years with next year being well below the cap, maybe ownership wouldn't mind that. As a fan I'd rather they spend it.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
2015-16Columbus Blue JacketsNHL3102179778202.60161148910.920
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
NHL Totals790212.93382680.907
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]
I'm still waiting for somebody to explain to me THESE NUMBERS before I jump off the Korpisalo "bandwagon".

Many people here really don't understand the impact it has on a goalie to be a backup and not play very often at all.

Especially on a young GROWING goaltender. There's a reason MANY better "backup" goalies are older guys, and there is a CLEAR TRANSITION period, other than the actual switch, for almost every goalie who goes from a "starter" to a "backup" and from a "backup" to a "starter".

You could argue that the CBJ (and the fans) have never had this opportunity to go from a capable starting veteran to a capable starting young "backup", so they (the fans) really wouldn't know what that player should look like.

Korpisalo is that player, and he's been ready for a year now, if not more.

I know a goalie in CBJ history who had a really good first year when nobody knew who he was and he came out of nowhere, and then after the book got out on his tactics,and was pretty bad ever since. (Steve Mason btw)

I do agree the backup role isn't the best for him. But Vancouver was able to juggle it pretty well with Schneider and Luongo because BOTH were winning a lot and BOTH were playing well. That hasn't been the case since Korpisalo's rookie season that he's been able to put up a long stretch of good games.

(I will remind you that the 2015-16 team missed the playoffs and were awful before an incredible run took them out of the McDavid sweepstakes btw)

Do I think he would be better if given more opportunity? Yes, I do. I think he's got talent. Has he proven himself worthy of the opportunity to start more? No, not at all. Not for more than a game or two at a time. You can disagree with me all you want, but that's the facts because that's exactly what Tortorella and company has done.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Thing I notice about Korpi , this year, especially lately , he seems to be staying much more controlled . The defense around him last night was great , and they really need to play that way , which will allow him to have success, and his confidence to grow . Last night was the best I’ve seen him look in a long time .

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I know a goalie in CBJ history who had a really good first year when nobody knew who he was and he came out of nowhere, and then after the book got out on his tactics,and was pretty bad ever since. (Steve Mason btw)

I do agree the backup role isn't the best for him. But Vancouver was able to juggle it pretty well with Schneider and Luongo because BOTH were winning a lot and BOTH were playing well. That hasn't been the case since Korpisalo's rookie season that he's been able to put up a long stretch of good games.

(I will remind you that the 2015-16 team missed the playoffs and were awful before an incredible run took them out of the McDavid sweepstakes btw)

Do I think he would be better if given more opportunity? Yes, I do. I think he's got talent. Has he proven himself worthy of the opportunity to start more? No, not at all. Not for more than a game or two at a time. You can disagree with me all you want, but that's the facts because that's exactly what Tortorella and company has done.

There are SO MANY things different between the current team, coaching strategies, and the goalie situation compared to back then, WITHOUT bringing up the massive differences between the quality of goalie that Korpisalo is compared to what Mason was.

And, I've already actually used Mason, as he IS ACTUALLY A PERFECT EXAMPLE to show what good team defense and a defensive structure can do to a goalies numbers.

Calder Mason
IS Vezina Bob.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Calder Mason IS Vezina Bob IS 8-2 Korpi.
Given that this years defense is 10 times better than the defense Mason had and bob had during his 1st Vezina.

Does coaching style and team system fit anywhere in there for you??

SORRY, BUT HE'S GONE. I HOPE YOU CAN ENJOY HIS TIME IN DALLAS OR FLORIDA. NO MORE VEZINAS AND HE VERY WELL END HIS CAREER WITH ZERO PLAYOFF SERIES WINS.

"Starter Korpisalo"

From now on.

"It is what it is"

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
With all the Jackets personal talk this season being about Bob and Bread, how ironic
that it may turn out to be Korpi's contract which is the one Jarmo ends up having to negotiate
the hardest this off season, his contract is also up, remains a RFA

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
With all the Jackets personal talk this season being about Bob and Bread, how ironic
that it may turn out to be Korpi's contract which is the one Jarmo ends up having to negotiate
the hardest this off season, his contract is also up, remains a RFA

Unless he goes on a Matt Murray-like postseason run, his contract shouldn't be an issue IMO. He'll probably get a 1/2 year deal to take him to the brink of UFA on a prove it deal, but still a RFA.

Reactions: Palm Tree

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Unless he goes on a Matt Murray-like postseason run, his contract shouldn't be an issue IMO. He'll probably get a 1/2 year deal to take him to the brink of UFA on a prove it deal, but still a RFA.

so they could sign him to a 2 year deal and still be a RFA after that deal is up?

I can never keep up when a player transitions from RFA to UFA

If that's the case then ya it shouldn't be a huge issue

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
so they could sign him to a 2 year deal and still be a RFA after that deal is up?

I can never keep up when a player transitions from RFA to UFA

If that's the case then ya it shouldn't be a huge issue

I did some searching and I think a 1 year deal he'd still be a RFA, but 2 years he'd be a UFA. So yeah, depends on what the FO wants.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I got to thinking about this the other day. Some folks find it really fun to jump on Jarmo when he makes a mistake. And they feel better about themselves. But do we ever tip the cap when Jarmo gets one right?

There was a time when Korpisalo and Anton Forsberg were thought to be essentially equal. One was going to back up Bob, the other had to be traded.

Since Jarmo traded Forsberg he has gone:
17-18 Games played Chicago 35 Wins 10 Losses 16 OT losses 4 Save % .908 Goals against 2.97
18-19 Games played Rockford 16 Wins 7 Losses 8 OT losses -0- Save % .913 Goals against 2.81

Jarmo got this one right. Thanks Jarmo!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad