Golf: All Purpose Golf Thread | 2018-19 PGA Tour schedule (post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I think the odds of somebody at -2 or -1 winning this tournament are higher than people might expect. Every other tournament, an 8 shot deficit is nearly impossible to make up because the leader earned that lead due to playing well on that course, and the chances of that leader randomly starting to play poorly is low. Now, there's no guarantee that the leader will play well on this course, so the chances of the leader playing poorly is a lot higher. Could be a total sweepstakes out there. Would love to see somebody like Ancer just enrage the golf world by stealing it.

I agree. Also they have 4 rounds to make that up; when they are down by 8 shots it is usually after 2 rounds and they are tied for 45th, not 16th. So they, normally, have a lot more players to leapfrog too.

The one thing to note is JT has played this course well over the last few years, finishing t6, 2nd, and t7.

Player to watch, IMO, is Xander Schauffele, 6 shots back and has played this course very well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wrigley

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
After day 1 it looks like we have an interesting tournament. Xander, Koepka, JT, and Rory at the top of the leaderboard.

Pensionsraddare

May 18, 2018
Karlstad
Some great golf by Stenson now. Four birdies in a row and he's closing in at the top. Would be nice if he could win at home.

Five in a row.

Weak eagleputt by Kinhult.

OMG six in a row :D It's f***ing crazy. He's tied for lead now.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Brooks and JT are four shots clear of the pack right now. This is such a clear contrast between likable and unlikable in this sport.

JT:
  • Seems a genuinely nice guy
  • Shows a good outward personality
  • Golf lifer who grew up as the son of a PGA Pro. You can tell he appreciates being a pro golfer. It's not his back up plan because he wasn't good at other sports.
  • Not 6'5 with huge muscles. A lot more people who play the sport look physically like JT.
Koepka:
  • Seems a genuine douchebag. Everyone knows a Koepka, but with a different name.
  • Tries to intimidate competition, fans, media with his outward persona.
  • Claims he plays golf instead of baseball or football because he's good at it. He's an athlete, not a golfer.
  • Flaunts himself as incredibly tough and much stronger than everyone else.
Sorry, but that had to be said.

BluesOne31

We going insane
Dec 31, 2011
To me, great golf is great golf. I don't really find any pro players unlikable. I don't care if Koepka is an athlete more than a golfer. At the end of the day, he's one of the best golfers in the world and I watch golf to see the best.

Reactions: TB12

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't care if Koepka is an athlete more than a golfer.

Those were his words, not necessarily what he is. He already said he wasn't good enough to play those sports at a high professional level, so he's not the athlete that he claims to be, if being a great golfer doesn't make you an athlete.

It's demeaning to his competition and fans of the sport. It's as if he thinks golf is beneath him and golf doesn't require athletic achievement. I'm sure plenty of his competitors liked other sports and played other sports growing up, but none of them consistently insult the sport like he does.

He's good, but I find him very unlikable.

BluesOne31

We going insane
Dec 31, 2011
Those were his words, not necessarily what he is. He already said he wasn't good enough to play those sports at a high professional level, so he's not the athlete that he claims to be, if being a great golfer doesn't make you an athlete.

It's demeaning to his competition and fans of the sport. It's as if he thinks golf is beneath him and golf doesn't require athletic achievement. I'm sure plenty of his competitors liked other sports and played other sports growing up, but none of them consistently insult the sport like he does.

He's good, but I find him very unlikable.

That’s fair but I don’t think he meant it as everyone who plays a sport that isn’t golf is an athlete and everyone who plays golf isn’t an athlete. Multiple sport people are always going to have a sport that they favor more but maybe more successful & likely to succeed professionally at the other.

Whether those types of people are open and honest in the media about it, is another thing.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

BluesOne31

We going insane
Dec 31, 2011
After all these years of only the top 5 having a chance to win the FedEx at the Tour Championship, we only have 5 guys really with a chance going into the final round. Not the same top 5 that started the week but still.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
After all these years of only the top 5 having a chance to win the FedEx at the Tour Championship, we only have 5 guys really with a chance going into the final round. Not the same top 5 that started the week but still.

Personally, I find this more interesting, winner of the tournament takes it all.

I also think it’s down to three players now.

BluesOne31

We going insane
Dec 31, 2011
Yeah, I don’t mind it. After the first first day, it was back to being a normal tournament.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Rory is literally a green jacket away from already having one of the most complete resumes in golf history. I know this may sound a bit premature but if you think about it, he’s accomplished virtually everything across both the PGA and European Tours.

He’s won 3/4 majors, 4 majors in total, 26 worldwide wins, 2 Players, 2 Fedex Cups, 100 weeks at number one, 7 Fedex cup/Race to Dubai event wins, 3 Race to Dubai titles, 3 WGCs, multiple POYs, scoring titles and money leaders. He’s also been competitive for about a decade now which is hard to do along with years where he really separated himself from the field.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Another good question is whos the player of the year?

Koepka has 3 titles including a major, a WGC and the CJ Cup way back in October of last year. He’s also had much better results at the majors and was world number one for much of the season

Rory also has 3 titles including the Players, Canadian Open, and Tour Finals + Fed Cup. He had significantly more top 10 finishes, and also led the tour in scoring, strokes gained and he’s presumably the money leader for 2019 as well.

Imo, Rory was better overall but I’d still lean towards Brooksey given how imposing he was at the majors.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Another good question is whos the player of the year?

Koepka has 3 titles including a major, a WGC and the CJ Cup way back in October of last year. He’s also had much better results at the majors and was world number one for much of the season

Rory also has 3 titles including the Players, Canadian Open, and Tour Finals + Fed Cup. He had significantly more top 10 finishes, and also led the tour in scoring, strokes gained and he’s presumably the money leader for 2019 as well.

Imo, Rory was better overall but I’d still lean towards Brooksey given how imposing he was at the majors.

It’s close but I’d give it to Koepka because of the major win plus another win in a high profile event - WGC.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Why? Because it’s a 30 player event or because of the new format?

New format. The fact that OWGR points were awarded for this event is a disgrace.

On the other hand though, Rory did have the best score to par this week when disregarding the starting positions, so maybe I'm being harsh. Either way, this tournament was a gimmick. Still better than the points system of old, though.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
One of these years someone is going to win this tournament who didn't have the best score to par. Thats the whole problem with this. The PGA Tour is too caught up in who wins the FedEx Cup. These top players make mid 8 figures each year anyway. The money is a nice bonus, but I think the majority of them are playing the tournament to win against a prestigious field. When you alter that and make it all about the PGA Tour playoffs being some huge spectacle where the player who beats the field that week might not win, you take away the most prestigious part of the tournament.

Reactions: BluesOne31
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->