Golf: All Purpose Golf Thread | 2018-19 PGA Tour schedule (post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so. The fact that his health has been a discussion at every tournament since the Masters is troubling for his career. I don’t think we knew until the last few months just how fragile his playing health is nowadays.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Tiger's withdrawal means little to me - what means a lot to me is that Pat Reed is rounding into form at just the right time to squeeze into another team event.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was listening to Chamblee’s podcast and he made a good point about slow play. The ones that often complain are players like Koepka and McIlroy that hit driver-wedge/short iron on almost every hole and have very few considerations for their approach shots. A guy like DeChambeau might hit it a similar distance to them, but to play the way that makes him one of the best in the world, he needs to calculate angles, ridges, wind more than other long hitters do. Kevin Na might naturally be a little slower. Some of them are, but he has more to keep track of during a hole than these bomb and gouge players.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I was listening to Chamblee’s podcast and he made a good point about slow play. The ones that often complain are players like Koepka and McIlroy that hit driver-wedge/short iron on almost every hole and have very few considerations for their approach shots. A guy like DeChambeau might hit it a similar distance to them, but to play the way that makes him one of the best in the world, he needs to calculate angles, ridges, wind more than other long hitters do. Kevin Na might naturally be a little slower. Some of them are, but he has more to keep track of during a hole than these bomb and gouge players.

Regardless of the process a player shouldn’t take 3 minutes to hit a 70 yard wedge shot, or take 2 minutes to hit an 8 foot putt. That’s not only horrible to watch it’s unfair to their playing partners.

The other problem is some of these guys (like JB Holmes) don’t start the process until it’s their turn. I remember one player a few tournaments back (I think it was Koepka) hit his shot, and after it came to rest he looked over at Holmes and he didn’t even have his glove on.

Reactions: TB12 and plank

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Regardless of the process a player shouldn’t take 3 minutes to hit a 70 yard wedge shot, or take 2 minutes to hit an 8 foot putt. That’s not only horrible to watch it’s unfair to their playing partners.

The other problem is some of these guys (like JB Holmes) don’t start the process until it’s their turn. I remember one player a few tournaments back (I think it was Koepka) hit his shot, and after it came to rest he looked over at Holmes and he didn’t even have his glove on.

I'm not excusing what DeChambeau did. That was ridiculous, but slow play that happens every day on the PGA Tour does not need to be stamped out of the game to the extent that instances like the DeChambeau one from the other day do. If you tell DeChambeau that he has a shot-clock, otherwise he'll be penalized, you'll probably also stamp out one of the better talents in the game. I think the extent of the complaints is overboard. There was a front page story on ESPN the other day about players complaining. Thats the golf stories that get front-page headlines. Stupid stories like that.

I also don't think you are wrong that players could do a better job of starting their routines routines earlier, but I don't think we should want DeChambeau to be taking the same amount of time over a shot as DJ. That's going to be a big disadvantage to DeChambeau, and its likely to lead to a diluted product if you are making the game harder for a number of your better players. Slow play in the pro game isn't in itself a bad thing. If you are willing to watch four hour rounds, you are willing to watch five hour rounds. We'd all like them to be quicker, but they aren't. Golf is a sport that takes a long time, like baseball. What you don't want to be doing is diluting your product to make things very slightly faster. Trying to make them faster without diluting the quality of golf is something everyone would like.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I was listening to Chamblee’s podcast and he made a good point about slow play. The ones that often complain are players like Koepka and McIlroy that hit driver-wedge/short iron on almost every hole and have very few considerations for their approach shots. A guy like DeChambeau might hit it a similar distance to them, but to play the way that makes him one of the best in the world, he needs to calculate angles, ridges, wind more than other long hitters do.
I find this explanation to be total nonsense [not from you, but him]
this completely downplays what the other guys are doing as far as analysis on their second shots, and DeChambeau is top 40 in driving distance. He seems like each shot he's playing is his first time on that respective hole [I live in Jersey City and was at the tourny this past weekend].

Reactions: TB12

BluesOne31

We going insane
Dec 31, 2011
All I read going into the week was how long the course was going to be. These guys have completely ripped it apart today.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
People forget how good Thomas is due to the bad season he's had. He'll have a top 3 career of players in his generation.

We’ll see, right now I’d put him fourth, behind Rory, Koepka, and Spieth (of players of his generation). Although Spieth has been struggling as of late and JT could pass him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
We’ll see, right now I’d put him fourth, behind Rory, Koepka, and Spieth (of players of his generation). Although Spieth has been struggling as of late and JT could pass him.

I think he'll have a better career than Kopeka. Koepka is very good, but those numbers are going to even out in the regular events and majors. Thomas has been one of the best players in the world since he was 23-24. Those that have been in that category usually end up top 10 players of all time.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I think he'll have a better career than Kopeka. Koepka is very good, but those numbers are going to even out in the regular events and majors. Thomas has been one of the best players in the world since he was 23-24. Those that have been in that category usually end up top 10 players of all time.
Agreed.

JT has a chance to be just as good as all of those guys. Injury slowed him down this season unfortunately. Hopefully he stays healthy and takes a few runs at majors next year.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I do like this new format for the tour championship (JT starts at -10). At least now the winner wins it all, tournament and fedex.

It was weird in the past when you had two different winners, like Rose and Tiger.

I also didn’t like the fact that if 1-5 won the tournament they won the fedex. The #1 seed had 0 advantage over the #5 seed. This new format changes that.

It also puts some pressure on JT right from the start going into the tournament with a lead.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
I think the odds of somebody at -2 or -1 winning this tournament are higher than people might expect. Every other tournament, an 8 shot deficit is nearly impossible to make up because the leader earned that lead due to playing well on that course, and the chances of that leader randomly starting to play poorly is low. Now, there's no guarantee that the leader will play well on this course, so the chances of the leader playing poorly is a lot higher. Could be a total sweepstakes out there. Would love to see somebody like Ancer just enrage the golf world by stealing it.

Reactions: Wrigley
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad