Golf: All Purpose Golf Thread | 2018-19 PGA Tour schedule (post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 3, 2012
I'm trying not to post my frustration with their lack of wins this year on this forum, so I'll start discussing their play again when they start winning golf events. Very frustrating year in terms of results for the golfers I root for. Not accustomed to 0 wins. I also have a very different view on yesterday than most, but I am going to just shut my mouth and hope for some better results coming up.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
So.. Garcia is about to miss the FedEx and he's firmly outside the Ryder Cup team on both points lists. MC in 7 of last 12 tournaments, so his form is putrid. Has one redeeming result this summer though, was T8 in the French Open. Gonna be interesting if he's thrown a wildcard "just because" or needs to show something, I assume he will go to Europe and play now, three tournaments left.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So.. Garcia is about to miss the FedEx and he's firmly outside the Ryder Cup team on both points lists. MC in 7 of last 12 tournaments, so his form is putrid. Has one redeeming result this summer though, was T8 in the French Open. Gonna be interesting if he's thrown a wildcard "just because" or needs to show something, I assume he will go to Europe and play now, three tournaments left.

Bjorn hinted that he would be selected, regardless.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Bjorn hinted that he would be selected, regardless.

It's really hard to see four strong, in form, wild card names out there. But let's try to break the competition down, assuming qualification ended today.

Stenson has some excuses with injuries and still netting some good enough results so even without a good FedEx it's hard not to see him picked.
Casey is just outside on the World list, has a very good OWGR and a resume. Limits himself a little by not playing on the ET, but would be a likely wildcard.
Olesen is just outside the team on both lists and a dane, with solid form, so sounds like a likely wildcard to me.
Cabrera-Bello can still play himself onto the team on his own, but don't think he would get a wildcard at this point.
Fitzpatrick has faded quite a bit since US Open. Similar scenario to Cabrera-Bello.
Knox is reasonably high on both lists, was T2 at French Open. Form right now is not so good though, a long shot.
Don't see anyone else particularly close, maybe maybe if Pieters starts delivering something special.

So basically I would assume the wildcards go to Stenson, Garcia, Casey and Olesen.

But here's a kicker, Poulter could be bumped out of an automatic spot still and he would be a sure wild card. That could potentially make it a much tougher decision for Björn between a countryman in form stacked up against the decorated veteran without form, assuming Stenson, Poulter and Casey grab hold of the other three. It could also be a decision between Casey and Garcia if Olesen takes an automatic spot.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Olesen moved himself to #8 today.

I think Garcia, Stenson and Poulter will all be picked. I think Casey will take spot four, unless someone else notable like Cabrera-Bello, Fitzpatrick, Knox wins an event the next two weeks. In that case, maybe they could be picked. I know Casey is 15th in the world rankings, but it never actually seems that way.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Westwood, as well.

Casey has 1 win in the last four years. I know he's high in the rankings, but I just can't respect that type of track record as being anything other than very average.

The best post-Faldo career from an Englishman has been Rose. I think he's solidly in the Hall of Fame. Casey isn't, Donald probably isn't, and Westwood is very questionable, although they let Monty in, so I think Westwood will get in.

Say Hey Kid

it's better to burn out than to fade awa
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
The best way to lose the Ryder Cup is picking solely based on the $ list. The US did that for years picking Tiger and Phil and always losing. Then they got smart and went with just picking the players they thought would play best in the Ryder Cup match play format. That's what I would do.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Golfer not allowed to play because of his socks (Seriously. This really happened.)

Last edited:

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
So the Tiger vs Phil match on November 23rd in Vegas will be a PPV. f***ing garbage. Remember when they'd have these events on ABC a couple of times

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Don't have interest. Award the winner a major title and I'll have interest. Exhibition for two of the richest athletes in the world who aren't even rivals anymore to get richer? No thanks.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
It took him 9 holes, but Tiger is on the board with a birdie .

Fleetwood is on fire right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->